Escape to the Movies: Neighbors - Genuinely Funny

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
I'll likely not go see it. I don't find Seth Rogen funny. I mean it's always nice to hear a dissenting opinion but man Tim and Eric are so painfully unfunny they become funny then go back to being not funny. I guess I just don't find the same things funny as MovieBob.

ColdinT

Apr 8, 2009
Knowing Bob's taste in comedy, I know that I probably won't like this. It's kind of the opposite with action movies as we share the same tastes there.

Frankly, it all screams too much mean spirit for me to get into this kind of comedy. It's the same reason why I stopped liking Family Guy. Being jerks just doesn't equal good comedy to me.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
RealRT said:
Oh, hey, look, a subtitle that tells me what the review is about, guess no reason to click the link and watch it now.
STOP DOING THESE RETARDED SUBTITLES. STOP. S.T.O.P. I WATCH THE VIDEOS TO SEE WHAT THE REVIEW IS GOING TO BE LIKE, TO KNOW WHAT THE REVEWERS THINK ABOUT THE PRODUCT. THE SUBTITLES SPOIL THE FUCK OUT OF THEM. I WANT TO BE SURPRISED. I WOULD BE SURPRISED THAT BOB LIKED IT IF YOU DIDN'T ADD A RETARDED SUBTITLE THERE. BUT NO. INSTEAD I GOT SPOILED. HEY, IMAGINE IF EMPIRE STRIKES BACK WAS CALLED "STAR WARS: DARTH VADER IS LUKE'S FATHER".
Yeahhhh ok then.

I disagree. Don't really look for comedies and would have probably skipped over the review, had I not seen the fact that MB was surprised. So I was curious and may even see the movie now..

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
el_emmens said:
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Also, is anyone actually expecting the Power Rangers movie to be good? Low-budget fistfights and cardboard city destruction are pretty much all the franchise can reliably deliver, and someone's going to lose a lot of money trying to turn that into a billion-dollar blockbuster.
Well, it's being put out by the same guys who made the twilight films, the hunger games and the Divergent series. So I can at least be asssured that they'll have actual teenagers for the cast.

And at worst it will just flop for the same reasons the Dragonball movie flopped, no one took the source materiak serious enough.

which of course means that everyone associated with this film is going to need to find that right balance of "taking it just the right amount of seriously with out turning it into an overly serious piece of junk.
Twilight had teenagers cast in it? I thought they all looked like they were in their early thirties.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
You know, it took me a minute to remember why Zac Efron is famous in the first place. And I just remembered. Gotta admit that I wouldn't have picked him out for this sort of role. Then again, I wouldn't have picked him for any role. But at least he seems to be doing the post Disney thing right. So he has one up on so many others.

Kinda surprised to hear that Efron was good, too. Not that I hold anything against the guy, just don't know any of his previous work other than the fact that he was in a Disney TV movie. But if he can make a believable and charismatic screen presence, more power to him.

Anyway, I might see this on DVD, but I don't plan to see it in the theater. I'm not a big fan of Seth Rogan and he does always seem to play Seth Rogan in every movie. But he's a decent comedy actor. Beyond that the premise just seems kinda uninteresting to me. I remember plenty of "great" comedies that just pissed me off. Meet the Parents. School of Rock. Yeah... I'm not sure I like what is popular in term of comedy.

RealRT said:
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
RealRT said:
Oh, hey, look, a subtitle that tells me what the review is about, guess no reason to click the link and watch it now.
STOP DOING THESE RETARDED SUBTITLES. STOP. S.T.O.P. I WATCH THE VIDEOS TO SEE WHAT THE REVIEW IS GOING TO BE LIKE, TO KNOW WHAT THE REVEWERS THINK ABOUT THE PRODUCT. THE SUBTITLES SPOIL THE FUCK OUT OF THEM. I WANT TO BE SURPRISED. I WOULD BE SURPRISED THAT BOB LIKED IT IF YOU DIDN'T ADD A RETARDED SUBTITLE THERE. BUT NO. INSTEAD I GOT SPOILED. HEY, IMAGINE IF EMPIRE STRIKES BACK WAS CALLED "STAR WARS: DARTH VADER IS LUKE'S FATHER".
Please! Caps! Not that I necessarily disagree with your point... but still! Caps!

Anyway, the scene shown at the beginning of the review - as well as the stuff shown in the trailer - honestly convinced me that MB and I have very, very different senses of humour. I thought both were cringeworthy, to be honest... so I'll avoid this one. Sorry MovieBob. On the plus side, I didn't see either of the "Spiderman" reboot movies in the cinema either, so they aren't getting my cash money.
They are there to imitate shouting. I don't write EVERY SINGLE FUCKING MESSAGE LIKE THIS, I know how annoying it is.
Well, since you explained that, I can say that you are a completely mature individual. And you certainly know what battles are worth fighting. Clearly, you know what is important.

Gezzer

Jul 7, 2012
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Also, is anyone actually expecting the Power Rangers movie to be good? Low-budget fistfights and cardboard city destruction are pretty much all the franchise can reliably deliver, and someone's going to lose a lot of money trying to turn that into a billion-dollar blockbuster.
It all depends on the slant they go with I'd say.
I mean I thought 21 Jump Street was going to suck balls, especially considering that I'm not a big Jonah Hill fan (hated Superbad) also never even considered the possibility that Tatum would have any comedic chops, and I was wrong I'm glad to say. Same could be said for any of the Brady Bunch movies. I thought they would suck and they were pretty good overall.

I think if the script writer and director really understand the source material and then form a good "modern day" concept to run with it could be good. Of course I mean could be good in the broadest sense, some pretty misaligned heavenly bodies need to come into alignment for that to happen and I won't hold my breath waiting.

Gezzer

Jul 7, 2012
I've found that when Bob dislikes a movie it's a 50/50 shot on my disliking it too. But anytime he gives a big thumbs up it' always on the money. Pumped that this is a great comedy after lately watching so many misses. Also thrilled that Seth Rogen has given up on his "leading man" aspirations which he pretty much can't pull off, and is going back to what he does best, your everyday slacker dude. Well in this one a more grown up version, but an everyday slacker dude none the less. ;O)

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
If that "funny" clip from the movie is supposed to be an indication of what I can expect from it, then I'll wait until it's on TV or something. That whole clip (and all the ads I've seen for this movie so far) felt so obnoxiously forced and boring.

Well as the saying goes, "one man's comedy is another's Chinese water torture".

twosage

Oct 22, 2013
So, what are the cape contenders for Effron? Any thoughts?

Flash if it's DC, and maybe Nova / Quasar / Adam Warlock if it's Marvel? A lot of Marvel's non-cosmic pipeline doesn't exactly scream "handsome white leading man-type".

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
Steve the Pocket said:
...and banner ads that play full videos with unmutable audio over top of the video you're actually trying to watch.
God they drive me up the wall. I was planning on passing on this film but maybe it'll be worth a looksie.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Gxas said:
Loved this movie. It was hilarious.

And the part shown in the review, where the kid starts reciting the "Path of the Righteous Man" had me in tears.

Definitely was a good start for summer comedies.
Seriously, tears? I didn't even crack a smile. I don't enjoy absurd comedy, it's just like laughing at a drunk guy, it's puerile.

Which means I wont enjoy this movie 'cos I assume it's basically in the Will Ferrell school of comedy AKA it's like step brothers or anything else he has appeared in.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
The review opened with a fifty second clip from the movie that wasn't funny at all. Bob's opinion on comedy has been suspect ever since his review of Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie.

Coakle

Nov 21, 2013
I'm sold.

The opening clip was painful. I can't stand conversations that consisted of popular movie quotes. And the couple just rolled with it? Hopefully it plays better with more context. I'm also unsure how well "launching people like a cartoon" will work. The review didn't show whether the movie had good comedic timing for that kind of stuff.

However, I liked "This is the End." The character conflict is interesting, and I want to see Zac Efron kill it. It's worth a shot.

thisbymaster

Sep 10, 2008
The trailers have turned me off from seeing this. These slaw jaw morons are attacking someone taking care of children. The very premise of this makes me angry, not ready to laugh.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
thisbymaster said:
The trailers have turned me off from seeing this. These slaw jaw morons are attacking someone taking care of children. The very premise of this makes me angry, not ready to laugh.
It can work if done well. I think a good villain is not one that you necessarily agree with, but one that you "understand." You yourself may step back and say "there's a child involved, you monsters," but if done well, the film makers should be able to convey "they're too immature to understand that they're putting a child at risk." So you "get it." Stupid, young, brash, "kids" don't understand the possible ramifications of their actions. Bored, stiff, adults, that long for the "carefree days" of not being parents, don't realize that they should let it go for the sake of their child, and instead indulge in selfish self-gratification.

There are some interesting underlying themes that can be explored, IF the movie does it well. I don't know that this one does. I'll see eventually.