Escape to the Movies: Neighbors - Genuinely Funny

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Neighbors - Genuinely Funny

MovieBob checks out one of this summer's first major comedies - and it's refreshingly hilarious.

Watch Video

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I got the feeling it would be alright from the trailers, I'll probably go see Neighbours. Well this is a refreshingly not sorrowful or defensive episode of EttM.

Edit: Have seen it now, it was pretty good if you exclude the really awkward and unfunny first ten minutes. When Seth Rogen doesn't speak the movie shines.

Jan 12, 2012
I'm guessing the first prank was stealing the "u" out of "Neighbours"? Silly Americans; you can take our vowels, but we'll undermine you with the metric system!

Also, is anyone actually expecting the Power Rangers movie to be good? Low-budget fistfights and cardboard city destruction are pretty much all the franchise can reliably deliver, and someone's going to lose a lot of money trying to turn that into a billion-dollar blockbuster.

Suicidal Zebra

Feb 11, 2011
I've seen trailers for Neighbors (Bad Neighbours over here), and now MovieBob's glowing review, and still have absolutely zero desire to see it. At the best of times I'm not a fan of prank comedies as they inevitably descend into a pissing contest between unlikable arseholes and I wonder to myself why the hell I'm watching a car-crash of a movie.

Sorry Bob, but just like Pain And Gain you've not sold me on this one.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Loved this movie. It was hilarious.

And the part shown in the review, where the kid starts reciting the "Path of the Righteous Man" had me in tears.

Definitely was a good start for summer comedies.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
What's the "good news" regarding Captain America's love interest from "The First Avenger?"

I'll likely wait for the dvd release. Comedies are not worth seeing in theatres, IMO

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
tdylan said:
What's the "good news" regarding Captain America's love interest from "The First Avenger?"

I'll likely wait for the dvd release. Comedies are not worth seeing in theatres, IMO
ABC just greenlit an "Agent Peggy Carter" TV series.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
That is a pleasant surprise. My girlfriend and I have been in the mood for a "haha funny" movie for a while. Not a lot floating around out there that we haven't seen. We had committed to seeing it and I'm glad to hear it seems to be as funny as it looks.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
tdylan said:

Agent Carter is getting her own TV show.

On topic: Bob, I'm willing to accept that Neighbors is every bit as funny, nuanced and enjoyable as you say it is. But you have to reassure us that you're not just doing this out of spite to kick Spider-man 2 out of a week 2 number one slot. I'm not saying ASM2 isn't as bad as you say, I just need to know you're not using your critic powers for evil.

el_emmens

Mar 23, 2009
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Also, is anyone actually expecting the Power Rangers movie to be good? Low-budget fistfights and cardboard city destruction are pretty much all the franchise can reliably deliver, and someone's going to lose a lot of money trying to turn that into a billion-dollar blockbuster.
Well, it's being put out by the same guys who made the twilight films, the hunger games and the Divergent series. So I can at least be asssured that they'll have actual teenagers for the cast.

And at worst it will just flop for the same reasons the Dragonball movie flopped, no one took the source materiak serious enough.

which of course means that everyone associated with this film is going to need to find that right balance of "taking it just the right amount of seriously with out turning it into an overly serious piece of junk.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Hmmm kinda mixed between seeing it in theaters or renting the DVD....

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Since a lot of "teenage heartthrobs" grew up to be good actors, I have nothing against them, only the movies they used to star in. :)

So Zac Efron isn't a dealbreaker for me at all.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Despite you being sick you?re voice didn?t sound all that different.

the movie seems pretty fun and I might check it out the next time I want to watch a movie.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
I missed comedies like "thank you for smoking", any chance we get something like that soon? Any recommendation for movies like that that's already out?

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
I'm not a fan of Zac Efron. Never have been, but if this film is as good as you say it is, maybe I will be.

Has got to be better than That Awkward Moment. I don't think I've ever disliked characters more in a comedy than I disliked Efron and Teller...

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Sure was a lot of fawning over Zak Efron in this review, and not enough for the performances of Rogan and Byrne. Speaking of, is she supposed to play an American, because some clips I've seen have her native British accent slip through. I've seen her in X-MEN: First Class and she can do a convincing American accent.