Escape to the Movies: Neighbors - Genuinely Funny

Zenron

The Laughing Shadow
May 11, 2010
This is a great film, I saw it yesterday. Completely agree on pretty much everything you said.

Not sure whether I agree about Zac Efron being better than Rose Bryne though. They were both great and I think Efron is going to have a great career but I just loved the complete reversal of what Bryne's character would normally be and how they completely cast her against type.

But yeah, this is great, I'd seen reviews and wasn't disappointed.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
RealRT said:
Oh, hey, look, a subtitle that tells me what the review is about, guess no reason to click the link and watch it now.
STOP DOING THESE RETARDED SUBTITLES. STOP. S.T.O.P. I WATCH THE VIDEOS TO SEE WHAT THE REVIEW IS GOING TO BE LIKE, TO KNOW WHAT THE REVEWERS THINK ABOUT THE PRODUCT. THE SUBTITLES SPOIL THE FUCK OUT OF THEM. I WANT TO BE SURPRISED. I WOULD BE SURPRISED THAT BOB LIKED IT IF YOU DIDN'T ADD A RETARDED SUBTITLE THERE. BUT NO. INSTEAD I GOT SPOILED. HEY, IMAGINE IF EMPIRE STRIKES BACK WAS CALLED "STAR WARS: DARTH VADER IS LUKE'S FATHER".
Please! Caps! Not that I necessarily disagree with your point... but still! Caps!

Anyway, the scene shown at the beginning of the review - as well as the stuff shown in the trailer - honestly convinced me that MB and I have very, very different senses of humour. I thought both were cringeworthy, to be honest... so I'll avoid this one. Sorry MovieBob. On the plus side, I didn't see either of the "Spiderman" reboot movies in the cinema either, so they aren't getting my cash money.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
And this is why we have film reviews. Not to troll fan boys of something but for someone to watch a movie and then tell you if that gut feeling you had was wrong or not. Honestly I was thinking about skipping Neighbors but with all the positive reviews out there it turns out my gut feeling was wrong and I would have missed a really good movie if I didn't use reviews as a source of information on films.

Thanks Bob for pointing me towards a good film.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
So it's basically that one episode of Bob's Burgers, but as a movie?

RealRT said:
Oh, hey, look, a subtitle that tells me what the review is about, guess no reason to click the link and watch it now.
STOP DOING THESE RETARDED SUBTITLES. STOP. S.T.O.P. I WATCH THE VIDEOS TO SEE WHAT THE REVIEW IS GOING TO BE LIKE, TO KNOW WHAT THE REVEWERS THINK ABOUT THE PRODUCT. THE SUBTITLES SPOIL THE FUCK OUT OF THEM. I WANT TO BE SURPRISED. I WOULD BE SURPRISED THAT BOB LIKED IT IF YOU DIDN'T ADD A RETARDED SUBTITLE THERE. BUT NO. INSTEAD I GOT SPOILED. HEY, IMAGINE IF EMPIRE STRIKES BACK WAS CALLED "STAR WARS: DARTH VADER IS LUKE'S FATHER".
That's cute. You think they care what you or any of the viewers think. If they did, they'd have gotten rid of the "captchas" that force you to parrot back advertising slogans and banner ads that play full videos with unmutable audio over top of the video you're actually trying to watch.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
MB and I have very, very different senses of humour.
Yeah, I figured that one out long ago. But the way I see it, it's a lot more interesting and informative to hear from a reasonably sensible, articulate person who I often disagree with than a complete idiot who has similar taste to me. I find I disagree with MovieBob, Yahtzee and Jim much more than I agree with them, but still generally worth listening to just for the different perspective.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
RealRT said:
Please! Caps! Not that I necessarily disagree with your point... but still! Caps!

Anyway, the scene shown at the beginning of the review - as well as the stuff shown in the trailer - honestly convinced me that MB and I have very, very different senses of humour. I thought both were cringeworthy, to be honest... so I'll avoid this one. Sorry MovieBob. On the plus side, I didn't see either of the "Spiderman" reboot movies in the cinema either, so they aren't getting my cash money.
They are there to imitate shouting. I don't write EVERY SINGLE FUCKING MESSAGE LIKE THIS, I know how annoying it is.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
blackknight467 said:
So what was this really good news with what i gather to be captain america's love interest?
She's getting her own TV show called Marvel's Agent Carter and will deal with her helping found S.H.I.E.L.D. in the days after the defeat of The Red Skull as well as dealing with 1940s sexism towards women.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
Darth_Payn said:
Sure was a lot of fawning over Zak Efron in this review, and not enough for the performances of Rogan and Byrne. Speaking of, is she supposed to play an American, because some clips I've seen have her native British accent slip through. I've seen her in X-MEN: First Class and she can do a convincing American accent.
Just so you know, Byrne is Australian not British; and so is the character she plays, at one point her character even threatents to "go back to Australia" or something to that effect.

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
here's the real question that needs to be answered because it is a seth rogan movie. is it still funny if your not high on weed?

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Looking at the previews for this, it seemed like an idiotic "look at this guy. He deserves pain because he's UNCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL" focus group idiot-fest

A3sir

Mar 25, 2010
I don't think I can trust anyone's opinion that thinks Seth Rogen is funny.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Kahani said:
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
MB and I have very, very different senses of humour.
Yeah, I figured that one out long ago. But the way I see it, it's a lot more interesting and informative to hear from a reasonably sensible, articulate person who I often disagree with than a complete idiot who has similar taste to me. I find I disagree with MovieBob, Yahtzee and Jim much more than I agree with them, but still generally worth listening to just for the different perspective.
Agree with that actually. I watch Yahtzee's show constantly, even though he and I disagree on just about every game he reviews. You don't have to agree with someone's subjective opinion in order to get something worthwhile out of what they're saying.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Two sides of young-ish people are in their respective middle phases as they stare down the eventual decay of their youth and hit the opposite spectrums - the parents muddle through becoming old, the frat boy wants to stay young.

...holy crap that's insightful.

Also, after seeing the trailer for 22 JS, am I the only one surprised we now live in a world where Zac Effron and Channing Tatum, two "pretty boys" utterly despised for their supposed vapidness, are suddenly and abruptly turning into legitimate actors? When the hell did that happen?

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
By the time it got to the opening credits, I was saying, "THAT was a 'funny' scene? Bob must be on some pretty strong cold meds."

Then he almost, almost, made it sound interesting, and showed some much funnier-looking moments in the voiceovers explaining it.

Oh well. I'll still wait for the DVD.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
I'm surprised it's apparently good.
I thought it'd be lameeee because I'm one of those people who instinctively hates any young male Hollywood actors which "all women"* swoon for.
This habit started when I was seven years old when girls** in my school were swooning over Leonardo DiCaprio.

*According to the Gossip media which I occasionally am exposed to.
**The vocal ones.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
The clip he showed at the beginning confused me. I'm old enough to get those references, but I still dont ... o_O

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Sylocat said:
By the time it got to the opening credits, I was saying, "THAT was a 'funny' scene? Bob must be on some pretty strong cold meds."

Then he almost, almost, made it sound interesting, and showed some much funnier-looking moments in the voiceovers explaining it.

Oh well. I'll still wait for the DVD.
I'll give him credit and say it probably works a lot better within the context of the entire movie. It's like telling a joke you heard, without the benefit of the ground work that the comedian laid earlier in their set. For example, Bill Burr has a bit about not having anything against gay people. Paraphrasing, "they can't reproduce, so they're not making any more 'in the way' people." It might garner a chuckle, but if you were familiar with his early bit about "in the way people," it makes the "gay people can't make more 'in the way people'" routine funnier.

Still, yeah, DVD. Probably. Being a 32 (soon to be 33) year old father myself, those "getting old" jokes may hit too close to home :)

person427

May 28, 2009
RealRT said:
It's a review. You're complaining that a review is being spoiled for you. I think you need to get some fresh air and think about this for a minute.