Escape to the Movies: No Strings Attached

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
JaredXE said:
I'm glad he didn't make any remarks about Portman being a hottie and flashing a sexy pic of her, because I am damned tired of the whiny forum goers who just focus on that as a complaint against Bob.
I'll agree, but I only get tired of Bob saying how hot a girl is for 3 minutes of his 5 minute video.

This was a great review Bob, I was wondering how good this movie would be. I still want to go see it.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
HA! and everyone was all jumping on the "THIS IS NATALIE PORTMAN'S NORBIT!" bandwagon!
i never lost hope :)

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Man... Natalie Portman... I'd **** the **** out of her. She's super sexy. She was awesome in Black Swan, and then there's this, and then there's Your Highness where she looks great again and I'm sure that movie will be absolutely hilarious if the trailers are any indication (usually they're not...)

Anyway totally going to take my gf to this one.

K_Dub

Oct 19, 2008
Color me shocked. I mean, it's still a rom-com, so I don't plan on paying any more than $2 to see this if I do decide to watch it. But still. A decent rom-com. Who'd a thunk it?

chibivash

Apr 2, 2010
bob spent the first half building up that rom-coms sucked. i was waiting for him to go for the jugular on this one. surprised it never came. oh, could be fun.

Dublin Solo

Feb 18, 2010
Isn't that movie some kind of remake of "When Harry met Sally"?

How is that subject new to anyone in Hollywood?

I don't get it.

kerokline

Jan 21, 2011
I don't know Bob, I'm all for casual sex, but I know that I couldn't do it myself. In my less humble moments, I might even believe that no one can successfully pull off such a feat. Which is why I (usually) forgive Hollywood for that particular trope.

And I do sympathize with not liking RomComs in general. I haven't seen the movie (yet, I want to), so maybe your complaint is about a poorly executed plot point and not the plot per se, but there is more to human sexuality than is dreamt of in your philosophies.

None of which is to slight your review, of course. I wouldn't keep watching if you didn't make me think :)

Jetsetneo

Apr 2, 2010
I'm pretty much gonna agree with Bob about the entire thing. Everything he said I also knew/could guess. Except down to his thumbs up for the movie. I'm just sayin it seems like Bob spent the entire show showing us why and how things like this are canned for mass production in Hollywood, gives reasoning for why it, quite frankly, sucks, and then gives it a pass? Just seems contradictory to me.

I've made my mind up about this movie and similar ones before (pass, only daring to go see it if the Gf absolutely has to). So ultimately this review has little to no impact on me, but I feel I'm a bit disappointed in Bob's review itself, or maybe Bob himself, I don't know I'm trying not to get personal here.

CronoT

May 15, 2010
Yeah, I tend to avoid Romantic Comedies for the very reasons that Bob mentioned. The only ones that I bother to watch these days are ones where I like the actors. Aston Kutcher is very indifferent to me, and Natalie Portman is about the same. Portman was good in the Star Wars Prequels, but everything else after that was 'Meh...' to me.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Evolution? Underappreciated?

That movie along with all the actors involved (except Dan Aykroyd and Julianne Moore) should be shot into the blimming sun.

fnartilter

Apr 13, 2010
Is Ultraman shooting lightning from his nipples? 'Cause that is way cool!

On another note, I don't hate Ashton Kushner; I just don't connect with him in any way or form.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Couldn;t it be said, as per the dialogue Adaptation, that a plot without conflict is boring as shite?

So wouldn't a movie based solely on two people being FWBs also be boring as shite due to no clashing of some kind?

Of course you could spice it up about a movie that starts of with a pair of FWBs and half way through the fil;m one of the pair loses it because he/she becomes emotionally attached to the point of psychoticism and it becomes a psychological thriller as he/she gos insane and starts hunting the other person down.

There you go ... non-liberal and not just a boring film about two people having romantic-less sex o.o

stranamente

Jun 13, 2009
Those costumes are ugly...ful.. I mean... bleah... And how am I supposed to forget Rebecca Romijn?
Not going to see that...

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
Thank you for the Glenn Beck joke, that made my day :), anyway sounds like your average crappy Ashton "I'm only popular because I look nice" Kutcher movie. Yes I am aware of his few good movies, but than again if I have a good script I could cast 2x4s and still get a decent performance.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I just witnessed someone give Ashton Kutcher a compliment. I feel itchy now. Real itchy.

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
YEAH! Evolution was freaking awesome!! And I actually kinda like Ashton Kutcher... Mostly cos of That 70's show and Dude where's my car... but still....

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
Not exactly the kind of movie I come here to see reviewed. Didn't you do a romcom within the past month or two? Did you get, or are you looking for, a girlfriend or something?

Sure, you did a good job with it, but there wasn't much passion or excitement. I much prefer when you place movies in their historical perspective, and then tell us why the suck or rule. In short, this review wasn't awful, but wasn't anything special either.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Dublin Solo said:
Isn't that movie some kind of remake of "When Harry met Sally"?

How is that subject new to anyone in Hollywood?

I don't get it.
When Harry met Sally wasn't about Friends With Benefits. It was about "can a man and a woman be just friends?" or something like it. Harry and Sally hook up just once during the middle of the movie (one time she's vulnerable), but then they consider it a mistake, and things get awkward for a while. They get together for real in the end, as a couple. The idea of FWB is not even remotely suggested in the movie.