Escape to the Movies: No Strings Attached

jakefongloo

Aug 17, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Evolution? Underappreciated?

That movie along with all the actors involved (except Dan Aykroyd and Julianne Moore) should be shot into the blimming sun.
Blasphamy!! I still show off the mall with the microphone to all my friends. I will not hesitate to challenge you to a duel at 10 paces via glove slap! Well maybe a sleight hesitation... You know what? Never mind, let's ro-sham-bo.

jakefongloo

Aug 17, 2008
Ritter315 said:
Again, Bob, you seem to be REALLY pouring on the superiority complex here. First of all, am I'm not any better in the love department as anyone else here, but MOST people have NOT experienced that sort of relationship on these forums, I know I havent. But do you know who we call those people who have sex care-free without thinking about the conquences or wheiter or not they actually care about the person they have sex with? We call those guys macho-douchebags, and sluts. Personally I am of the understanding that in order to have sex there must be some form of feelings going on, and if there isnt than its a superfical and almost patheically childish relationship, like two little kids finally discovering what playing doctor is. If the movie was actually about real life, either the man would feel like a piece of meat, or the women would be empty and alone (Its just our natures) because of the lack of geninue feelings. Also "Moral-watchdog douchebag"? Ok I agree that some people are way too hard about morality, especially when it comes to films, until you remember that media, including film, influences culture regardless of the subject matter or purposed meaning. I wouldnt mind more people making sure that SOME values stay where they are, and I think that sex is one of them. I mean, would I LOVE to have sex, whenever and with whoever I want to? YES! Of course, thats our nature. HOWEVER, if I was given the opprotunity to do that, I would probably decline, because it would be empty and meaningless and most people feel this way. So yeah, I think you came down a little too hard on that in this review.
Wow... I've gotten pissed at a movie bob review before but, shit!! There are many manymanymanymany people out there who have a FWB relationship. I find it odd you're so dead set in your fact even though the very existance of the FWB is practiced quite frequently. You can't seperate your emotions from your carnal urges, good neither can I. I can't, not develop feelings for the one I am seeing. However, there are many who can have sex faithfully to one person consistantly and keep it recreational. Don't push your values just accept they work for you.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
jakefongloo said:
Casual Shinji said:

That movie along with all the actors involved (except Dan Aykroyd and Julianne Moore) should be shot into the blimming sun.
Blasphamy!! I still show off the mall with the microphone to all my friends. I will not hesitate to challenge you to a duel at 10 paces via glove slap! Well maybe a sleight hesitation... You know what? Never mind, let's ro-sham-bo.
Eeew God, did you have to mention the mall scene? I never would've imagined that I could hate Sean William Scott more than I already did.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
jakefongloo said:
Casual Shinji said:

Eeew God, did you have to mention the mall scene? I never would've imagined that I could hate Sean William Scott more than I already did.
evolution was very well done and just because you didnt like it doesnt mean its cast should be killed.

BTW id love a squeal preferably with Dan Aykroyd

Cat Cloud

Aug 12, 2010
I personally don't like recreational sex or friends with benefits. Still, please don't put me on the level of complete nut-cases like Bill O'Riley and Glenn Beck. And to be honest, I'd say the status quo in terms of sex these days is get as much as you can. Casual relationships are considered more "normal" than serious ones.

Crusnik

Apr 16, 2008
UltraHammer said:
Glenn Beck is actually really coherent and clever most of the time and occasionally says something crazy
Glenn Beck raped and killed a 14 year-old girl.

I'm not getting a phone call from him at the moment, so that must mean it's true.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
*reads thread*

wow, I had no idea this many people saw/appreciated Evolution. thought I was the only one..

SkullCap

Nov 10, 2009
draygoncore said:
Movie Bob,

As is usually the case, I am on the same page as you when it comes to this and the last couple movies. However, I do have a request if I may:

Unless the movie is politically charged or politics have something to do with a major story arc, can you cut the political commentary? I come to this site to get away from all that crap and watch shows that have nothing to do with the accusations of right hates left and vice versa. After all, this site is called the "Escapist". (Edit)"I have seen some remarks that enjoy your comments but I feel that I should make you aware that there are other, differing views." (End Edit)

I can feel the flame war starting already, but I honestly feel I must make this request because you have done it (if memory serves correctly) in each of your last three reviews, none of which I felt were political in any way.

Thanks. (Begin flame war....NOW!)
Can I add on to that? Bob, stop painting Republicans as the devil spawn. All you've done is flame bait and insult members of that political party. You talk about how it's not going to bode well in the eyes of some Conservative speakers. Really Bob? You could've just referenced radical political speakers on both sides or better yet mentioned neither and let your fans enjoy your reviews without hearing this constant bashing of groups you don't agree with.

BUT THEN you gave them glowing red eyes? What are you nine? That's what unfunny internet douchebags do in the safety of their basement. Did you forget the little pitchforks and devil horns? I could care less what O'Reily, Beck, or whatever worthless political speaker says.

It's a rom-com, a popcorn flick. Your gf drags you to it and you stomach down a couple hours why? B/c you love her. You'll go back home and a week later she'll have forgotten all about it. Why? How many endearing rom-coms are made anymore? These are a dime a dozen and Hollywood just keeps churning them out. You know where the politics come into this? Nowhere, they are only brought up when a political or ahem-internet famed individuals bring that point up condemning/praising it. Then just as Fox is known to condemn the PC-minded Left, the Left in turn condemns the Right for being hypocrites or close-minded fascists living in a lost past.

Get off the soap box, No Strings Attached does not deserve such a defense from them EVIL REPUBLICANS. Your slowly becoming a Left-version of Glen Beck and please for God's sake stop going further down that route, the route of internet trolling douchebag.

SkullCap

Nov 10, 2009
lokiduck said:
Funny considering I just saw The King's Speech Yesterday. I actually want to know why you consider it the most overrated film of last year?
Probably because it lacked the right amount of tits, blood, sex, and segway for another uninspired intelligence-lacking soapbox talk about how Conservatives are close-minded Devils with glowing red eyes, who would never enjoy pure sex-coms oops I mean rom-coms.

Now to those saying that's not fair, well neither is it to the political and religious parties he keeps attacking in his videos. Pictures with Bill & Ted to mock Christians with, pictures of Ogre to insult people for going to see a movie rather then one he preferred, and following such insulting reviews by praising movies because it rides on the fact that Sexy Chick #256 gets naked or there's buckets-o-blood aplenty.

Some might say get over it. I would love to. I want to see Bob review a movie without reverting to him constantly attacking religious and political parties.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Bob likes a rom-com featuring a nerd favorite chick where they're a bit blatant about their depictions of sex? This is becoming a trend...

SkullCap

Nov 10, 2009
jakefongloo said:
Ritter315 said:
Again, Bob, you seem to be REALLY pouring on the superiority complex here. First of all, am I'm not any better in the love department as anyone else here, but MOST people have NOT experienced that sort of relationship on these forums, I know I havent. But do you know who we call those people who have sex care-free without thinking about the conquences or wheiter or not they actually care about the person they have sex with? We call those guys macho-douchebags, and sluts. Personally I am of the understanding that in order to have sex there must be some form of feelings going on, and if there isnt than its a superfical and almost patheically childish relationship, like two little kids finally discovering what playing doctor is. If the movie was actually about real life, either the man would feel like a piece of meat, or the women would be empty and alone (Its just our natures) because of the lack of geninue feelings. Also "Moral-watchdog douchebag"? Ok I agree that some people are way too hard about morality, especially when it comes to films, until you remember that media, including film, influences culture regardless of the subject matter or purposed meaning. I wouldnt mind more people making sure that SOME values stay where they are, and I think that sex is one of them. I mean, would I LOVE to have sex, whenever and with whoever I want to? YES! Of course, thats our nature. HOWEVER, if I was given the opprotunity to do that, I would probably decline, because it would be empty and meaningless and most people feel this way. So yeah, I think you came down a little too hard on that in this review.
Wow... I've gotten pissed at a movie bob review before but, shit!! There are many manymanymanymany people out there who have a FWB relationship. I find it odd you're so dead set in your fact even though the very existance of the FWB is practiced quite frequently. You can't seperate your emotions from your carnal urges, good neither can I. I can't, not develop feelings for the one I am seeing. However, there are many who can have sex faithfully to one person consistantly and keep it recreational. Don't push your values just accept they work for you.
All he did was stating his view on FWBs. "Don't push your values just accept they work for you." Don't start, Bob was pushing his views harder than anyone else. This guy just stated the counter argument for it.

UnmotivatedSlacker

Mar 12, 2010
Necromancer1991 said:
Thank you for the Glenn Beck joke, that made my day :), anyway sounds like your average crappy Ashton "I'm only popular because I look nice" Kutcher movie. Yes I am aware of his few good movies, but than again if I have a good script I could cast 2x4s and still get a decent performance.
Doesn't matter how good the script is. If the actors are shit, they will still give you a shit performance. You need both sides to be good if you want a good movie.

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
Why in the world would you spend the first 3/4s of the video talking about what an awful idea this is, and then give it a rip roaring two thumbs up???

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
UnmotivatedSlacker said:
Necromancer1991 said:
Thank you for the Glenn Beck joke, that made my day :), anyway sounds like your average crappy Ashton "I'm only popular because I look nice" Kutcher movie. Yes I am aware of his few good movies, but than again if I have a good script I could cast 2x4s and still get a decent performance.
Doesn't matter how good the script is. If the actors are shit, they will still give you a shit performance. You need both sides to be good if you want a good movie.
My point exactly, I'm saying that IMO his track record is spotty, unless they have him play the character he was in That 70's Show it tends to go horribly horribly wrong. I mean I'd rather get a wooden performance (pun intended) than a crappy one.

REPTILE 0009

Sep 26, 2010
@MovieBob
after seeing films like Full Metal Jacket and Platoon, I wonder, were we being too hard on the americans who fought in vietnam? they may have done some things they may regret, but they have gone through a nightmare that we cannot possibly understand. why don't we ever see any films critiquing the viet cong and the terrible things they did?

UnmotivatedSlacker

Mar 12, 2010
Necromancer1991 said:
UnmotivatedSlacker said:
Necromancer1991 said:
My point exactly, I'm saying that IMO his track record is spotty, unless they have him play the character he was in That 70's Show it tends to go horribly horribly wrong. I mean I'd rather get a wooden performance (pun intended) than a crappy one.
Ok, you don't like his acting overall. Fair enough. I just think you should see the movie before you completely write him off first as this could be one of his better performances for all you know. Also was he really that bad, because I don't really keep track of the acting world?

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Seeing how he tossed up In & Out, I'll take this opportunity to point out that the movie put forth the notion that a somewhat effeminate man who listens to show tunes whose sex drive is stuck in neutral... MUST be gay. Sorry, you fit a stereotype and we will never accept that you might be heterosexual, so for the proper up-lifting ending, you have to have sex with Tom Selleck.