Escape to the Movies: No Strings Attached

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
two of the most attractive people in Hollywood?

like for real, usually I look at the posters (just the posters, I don't watch rom coms mostly) and it's like hot-not, hot-kindahot...etc

Gruchul

Aug 30, 2009
I wish this would get off the front page. Ms Portman's legs are a little too distracting...

Anyway...OT: Nice to hear this film isn't shockingly bad. I was a little worried about the whole 'potential career suicide' thing.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
REPTILE 0009 said:
@MovieBob
after seeing films like Full Metal Jacket and Platoon, I wonder, were we being too hard on the americans who fought in vietnam? they may have done some things they may regret, but they have gone through a nightmare that we cannot possibly understand. why don't we ever see any films critiquing the viet cong and the terrible things they did?
The Killing Fields, Hamburger Hill, We Were Soldiers, The Green Berets, The Deer Hunter, Flight of The Intruder and Rescue Dawn off the top of my head i.e. films where the Viet Cong and/or Vietnam-era Communists are the villains, and that's ONLY American/Western films made about the war. The idea that Hollywood has ever been uniformly anti-war, even in regard to 'Nam, is largely a myth.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
Wow. This is the first time I've watched Movie Bob. And the sole reason was because of this movie. It brings up a subject that has confounded me forever and I wanted to know how things would be.

All in all, it was a nice review. Amusing and interesting. I'll have to catch up on the previous ones and continue to watch him from now on.

hexFrank202

Mar 21, 2010
Crusnik said:
UltraHammer said:
Glenn Beck is actually really coherent and clever most of the time and occasionally says something crazy
Glenn Beck raped and killed a 14 year-old girl.

I'm not getting a phone call from him at the moment, so that must mean it's true.
Well actually, that was a hoa--oh I see what you did there. :)

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
It mystifies me how every single time I decide to try watching Escape to the Movies again, I feel like it comes across as prententious, obnoxious, and uninspired despite the fact that I agree with essentially everything said.

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
UnmotivatedSlacker said:
Necromancer1991 said:
UnmotivatedSlacker said:
Necromancer1991 said:
Thank you for the Glenn Beck joke, that made my day :), anyway sounds like your average crappy Ashton "I'm only popular because I look nice" Kutcher movie. Yes I am aware of his few good movies, but than again if I have a good script I could cast 2x4s and still get a decent performance.
Doesn't matter how good the script is. If the actors are shit, they will still give you a shit performance. You need both sides to be good if you want a good movie.
My point exactly, I'm saying that IMO his track record is spotty, unless they have him play the character he was in That 70's Show it tends to go horribly horribly wrong. I mean I'd rather get a wooden performance (pun intended) than a crappy one.
Ok, you don't like his acting overall. Fair enough. I just think you should see the movie before you completely write him off first as this could be one of his better performances for all you know. Also was he really that bad, because I don't really keep track of the acting world?
Fine I'd give him a chance but I can't get to a movie theater (No license & no job), so I'm kinda screwed in that regard, also I do tend to be skeptical of actors who I think have a bad track record, don't get me wrong I do like some of Ashton's movies (Dude where's my Car, Butterfly Effect, etc).

lokiduck

Jun 5, 2010
SkullCap said:
lokiduck said:
Funny considering I just saw The King's Speech Yesterday. I actually want to know why you consider it the most overrated film of last year?
Probably because it lacked the right amount of tits, blood, sex, and segway for another uninspired intelligence-lacking soapbox talk about how Conservatives are close-minded Devils with glowing red eyes, who would never enjoy pure sex-coms oops I mean rom-coms.

Now to those saying that's not fair, well neither is it to the political and religious parties he keeps attacking in his videos. Pictures with Bill & Ted to mock Christians with, pictures of Ogre to insult people for going to see a movie rather then one he preferred, and following such insulting reviews by praising movies because it rides on the fact that Sexy Chick #256 gets naked or there's buckets-o-blood aplenty.

Some might say get over it. I would love to. I want to see Bob review a movie without reverting to him constantly attacking religious and political parties.
I seems quite likely now XD

jakefongloo

Aug 17, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
jakefongloo said:
Casual Shinji said:
Evolution? Underappreciated?

That movie along with all the actors involved (except Dan Aykroyd and Julianne Moore) should be shot into the blimming sun.
Blasphamy!! I still show off the mall with the microphone to all my friends. I will not hesitate to challenge you to a duel at 10 paces via glove slap! Well maybe a sleight hesitation... You know what? Never mind, let's ro-sham-bo.
Eeew God, did you have to mention the mall scene? I never would've imagined that I could hate Sean William Scott more than I already did.
You're breaking my heart man.
but it's okay because... YOU ARE SO BEAUTIFUL....TO ME! :p

jakefongloo

Aug 17, 2008
SkullCap said:
jakefongloo said:
Ritter315 said:
Again, Bob, you seem to be REALLY pouring on the superiority complex here. First of all, am I'm not any better in the love department as anyone else here, but MOST people have NOT experienced that sort of relationship on these forums, I know I havent. But do you know who we call those people who have sex care-free without thinking about the conquences or wheiter or not they actually care about the person they have sex with? We call those guys macho-douchebags, and sluts. Personally I am of the understanding that in order to have sex there must be some form of feelings going on, and if there isnt than its a superfical and almost patheically childish relationship, like two little kids finally discovering what playing doctor is. If the movie was actually about real life, either the man would feel like a piece of meat, or the women would be empty and alone (Its just our natures) because of the lack of geninue feelings. Also "Moral-watchdog douchebag"? Ok I agree that some people are way too hard about morality, especially when it comes to films, until you remember that media, including film, influences culture regardless of the subject matter or purposed meaning. I wouldnt mind more people making sure that SOME values stay where they are, and I think that sex is one of them. I mean, would I LOVE to have sex, whenever and with whoever I want to? YES! Of course, thats our nature. HOWEVER, if I was given the opprotunity to do that, I would probably decline, because it would be empty and meaningless and most people feel this way. So yeah, I think you came down a little too hard on that in this review.
Wow... I've gotten pissed at a movie bob review before but, shit!! There are many manymanymanymany people out there who have a FWB relationship. I find it odd you're so dead set in your fact even though the very existance of the FWB is practiced quite frequently. You can't seperate your emotions from your carnal urges, good neither can I. I can't, not develop feelings for the one I am seeing. However, there are many who can have sex faithfully to one person consistantly and keep it recreational. Don't push your values just accept they work for you.
All he did was stating his view on FWBs. "Don't push your values just accept they work for you." Don't start, Bob was pushing his views harder than anyone else. This guy just stated the counter argument for it.
Yea, but I was counter arguing his counter argument...and now your counter my counter of his counter............so take this as my counter of your counter of my counter of his counter! HYAH! Regardless the bash on bob there was a little severe, I wanted to ground it a little.

SkullCap

Nov 10, 2009
jakefongloo said:
SkullCap said:
jakefongloo said:
Ritter315 said:
Again, Bob, you seem to be REALLY pouring on the superiority complex here. First of all, am I'm not any better in the love department as anyone else here, but MOST people have NOT experienced that sort of relationship on these forums, I know I havent. But do you know who we call those people who have sex care-free without thinking about the conquences or wheiter or not they actually care about the person they have sex with? We call those guys macho-douchebags, and sluts. Personally I am of the understanding that in order to have sex there must be some form of feelings going on, and if there isnt than its a superfical and almost patheically childish relationship, like two little kids finally discovering what playing doctor is. If the movie was actually about real life, either the man would feel like a piece of meat, or the women would be empty and alone (Its just our natures) because of the lack of geninue feelings. Also "Moral-watchdog douchebag"? Ok I agree that some people are way too hard about morality, especially when it comes to films, until you remember that media, including film, influences culture regardless of the subject matter or purposed meaning. I wouldnt mind more people making sure that SOME values stay where they are, and I think that sex is one of them. I mean, would I LOVE to have sex, whenever and with whoever I want to? YES! Of course, thats our nature. HOWEVER, if I was given the opprotunity to do that, I would probably decline, because it would be empty and meaningless and most people feel this way. So yeah, I think you came down a little too hard on that in this review.
Wow... I've gotten pissed at a movie bob review before but, shit!! There are many manymanymanymany people out there who have a FWB relationship. I find it odd you're so dead set in your fact even though the very existance of the FWB is practiced quite frequently. You can't seperate your emotions from your carnal urges, good neither can I. I can't, not develop feelings for the one I am seeing. However, there are many who can have sex faithfully to one person consistantly and keep it recreational. Don't push your values just accept they work for you.
All he did was stating his view on FWBs. "Don't push your values just accept they work for you." Don't start, Bob was pushing his views harder than anyone else. This guy just stated the counter argument for it.
Yea, but I was counter arguing his counter argument...and now your counter my counter of his counter............so take this as my counter of your counter of my counter of his counter! HYAH! Regardless the bash on bob there was a little severe, I wanted to ground it a little.
Y'know what? Your right. Looking back, I was giving Bob a hard time. It's not that I don't understand that media reflects the culture around it, but I just was tired of hearing Bob constantly talk about his political views in his more recent movie reviews. Every single Friday I looked forward to watching Moviebob's Escape to the Movies. However, ever since his Book of Eli and that blasphemous puke called Legion reviews where he attacked the Christian faith I have been wary. Then for awhile everything seemed fine, but then came The Expendables review and Bob just began insulting his fans. Then comes around and gives nothing except praise to Piranha 3-D because it has tits and gore. That was when I stopped watching him. Several weeks later I decide to see what's going on and watch another review Devil, big mistake. I realized that it wasn't that Bob was hate-filled about Christianity, but that he didn't understand it b/c he was exposed to it via bad Catholic school (note I'm not saying all Catholic schools are bad, understand people?). But now he constantly keeps going back to politics and even though there is truth in political commentators trashing this film, he singled out conservatives as the only source for his insult. It's just gotten old with me. Anyway, thank you for showing maturity in your counter to my counter of your counter. Shalom.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
I said it before, I'll say it again: That entire X-Men picture looks hacky, cheesy and horrible.

mptothedc

Jul 23, 2009
Very nice. Evolution AND Dude Where's My Car referenced as good movies! I also like that you mentioned the Genome Sequence, although the Human Genome Sequence isn't completed quite yet. The cure to cancer is not too far off!

Anyway, I won't be seeing this movie whether it's good or not. Not my kinda movie. Glad to hear it's good, though. :p

SteveZim1017

Jan 14, 2009
Wow, Moviebob really hates "Rom Coms" because he knows how they are going to turn out. The ending to almost any non mystery movie can be assumed before you see it.

Its the journey people are interested in seeing Bob, not the destination. Stop acting like you're too cool for everything.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
I actually went and saw this movie after seeing Bob's review, because, prior to that I had been prepared to dismiss it as nothing more than something trying to leech off of the success of Love and other Drugs. I had tried to avoid it because I so desperatley didn't want to lose the substantial amount of respect I had gained for Natalie Portman for her performance in Black Swan.

For what it's worth, yes, I figured out all the plot points before I even walked into the cinema and yes I figured out how it was going to end in an instant and yes it is kind of conservative in the sense that it still kind of suggests a happy ending in the form of traditional values even though we are living in the twenty first century.
But still, of course, all this stuff comes with the genre so while it's a major flaw, it's one that everyone had to be aware of.

I also agree with MovieBob in general about the positive feedback. The movie is really funny, quite clever and while it is confined viciously in the shackles of the genre it still has a few moments of bold cleverness like the very raunchy script. And Portman far from made me lose hope in this, in fact she was easily the best bit, crazy, funny, eccentric and just generally fun to watch. It's nice to see her go all out silly and crazy after having to be so repressed in Black Swan.
If nothing else, there's nothing quite like seeing someone who in real life can speak four languages, completed a master's degree at Harvard and has had articles on complex issues published.... drunkenly screaming at some other woman that she's a 'pumpkin'.

So I certainly haven't lost respect for Natalie Portman yet (she's one of the like, three people who managed to escape Star Wars with respectable careers lest we forget) but if she suddenly becomes the voice for a talking guinea pig in a Disney movie.... then we'll have to see.

As for Ashton Kutcher, I've also never really had a problem with the guy. Okay he's been in some crappy movies but then Bill Murry was bloody Garfield and we could find it in our hearts to forgive him... but then he actually apologized for that.
Still, whatever, I actually LIKED The Butterfly Effect and he's never grated on my nerves so much that his presence alone would turn me off a movie, but it must be said were it not for your recommendation Movie Bob or the fact that Natalie Portman apparently considered it worth her time... his presence also wouldn't have sold it to me.
I'm 'neutral' when it comes to Kutcher.

Really as far as I'm concerned the only really genuienly 'bad' thing about it was that some Supermum had decided to bring her two year old son into the cinema.... because really a movie where the first ever joke is the sentance 'can I finger you now?' is so obviously a movie you take a three year old to, and the kid would not stop wailing and crying and screaming.

EDIT: Also I just rewatched Evolution because I remember loving it when I was a kid and well.... it sucked. It was terrible even. The acting was subpar, the jokes were cringe inducing, the characters were all annoying.... I only ever watched it for the actual alien creatures and now watching it on it's own terms. It is just god awful.

Space Lion

Void Traveller
Apr 4, 2010
Yeeeaaaaaaah, I think I'll skip this one. The only brain activity it'll tickle is the "I want to lay Natalie Portman down by the fire and make sweet love to her group of neurons." And something tells me the character won't be interesting enough to even fire all of them.