Escape to the Movies: Oldboy

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Gorrath said:
Yoshi4102 said:
I'm not a big fan of foriegn movies (I don't like missing plot when I get up to grab a drink or something) but when I saw Oldboy on Netflix, it is pretty much fucking perfection! It would make it into my top 10 movies for sure.

When I saw the commercial for this on TV I couldn't help but to roll my eyes when I saw scenes remade verbatim. Seriously... fight scene is the EXACT same thing? Where's the originality? Just make an english dub (oh wait, the one on Netflix was a dub, remake not needed).

I seriously hope the other 2 semi-related movies aren't remade either, but they aren't as good anyways in my opinion. However they are worth watching.

tl;dr Just watch the old one, remake is dumb
If they remake the others from the revenge trilogy, I think my head will implode from anger.

I can love remakes, even remakes of foreign films, but when you have movies that are as steeped in the culture they are created in as the revenge trilogy are, remaking them is almost certain to be worse. Even if you do manage to make a passable version, or even a decent version, what's the point? I consider Old Boy to be damned near perfect, especially it's cinematography (it stands up there with Silence of the Lambs in my opinion) so any remake of it would seem naturally lesser and pointless.

Also, to anyone who has not seen Old Boy, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance, I highly recommend them. They are gruesome, but the brutality in them comes from a place that feels so genuine that it isn't done for gory kicks.
I'm pretty sure that Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance is being remade :/ As are some other classic films from my younger days like Gremlins and Poltergeist and even Wargames FFS!

er yeah : http://www.slashfilm.com/paradise-now-director-to-remake-sympathy-for-mr-vengeance/

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Here's an idea.
Let's make a modern day remake of Ben-Hur.
Let's set it in New York in 2013.
A Ben-Hur movie naturally needs chariot races and Jesus so those need to go in.
This will be a massive blockbuster, just like the original!

Talbis

Oct 22, 2013
Bruce Kilkowski said:
I haven't seen the remake yet, but I think we can agree that the Stephen Spielberg/Will Smith version that almost happened a few years back would have been far worse. There's also the unofficial Bollywood remake, which I've heard is godawful. Like, completely wimped out on the plot twist awful.

Talbis said:
Magenera said:
Wasn't Old Boy the movie based on the Manga Old Boy?
Yes it was. Manga written by Garon Tsuchiya and illustrated by Nobuaki Minegishi, printed in years 1996 ? 1998. But for some stupid reason Park Chan-wook's adaptation is far better known, and that's sad, because the manga was better than the movie, even when it got really silly at the end. But everyone likes the 2003 movie, so there's that...
Wat. The first three volumes of the manga were alright, then it degenerated into Goto and Dojima talking... and talking... and talking... and talking some more... And that ending was irredeemably bad.
Talking? Seriously? In a psychological thriller, solely based on character interaction, conversations are not only needed but an integral part of the story. As for the ending of the manga... The very fact that the reason for this whole complicated and detailed revenge was so insignificant, only proves how big of a psycho Dojima really is. Imagine what he would be capable to do to someone who'd really piss him off. To be honest, most mangas get more weirder as volume numbers grow...

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
I don't get how you found a movie that is basically an uninspired remake to be boring if the original was not boring. It can't be any worse if it's just a whitewashed clone.

KiramidHead

Jan 26, 2012
Talbis said:
Bruce Kilkowski said:
I haven't seen the remake yet, but I think we can agree that the Stephen Spielberg/Will Smith version that almost happened a few years back would have been far worse. There's also the unofficial Bollywood remake, which I've heard is godawful. Like, completely wimped out on the plot twist awful.

Talbis said:
Magenera said:
Yes it was. Manga written by Garon Tsuchiya and illustrated by Nobuaki Minegishi, printed in years 1996 ? 1998. But for some stupid reason Park Chan-wook's adaptation is far better known, and that's sad, because the manga was better than the movie, even when it got really silly at the end. But everyone likes the 2003 movie, so there's that...
Wat. The first three volumes of the manga were alright, then it degenerated into Goto and Dojima talking... and talking... and talking... and talking some more... And that ending was irredeemably bad.
Talking? Seriously? In a psychological thriller, solely based on character interaction, conversations are not only needed but an integral part of the story. As for the ending of the manga... The very fact that the reason for this whole complicated and detailed revenge was so insignificant, only proves how big of a psycho Dojima really is. Imagine what he would be capable to do to someone who'd really piss him off. To be honest, most mangas get more weirder as volume numbers grow...
Fair enough about the conversation thing. i just felt like most of them could have been streamlined and shifted over to actual plot progression, instead of them sitting in a bar or on a boat not accomplishing much. And I wasn't referring to the motivation, which I was fine with. I meant the huge, dangling plot thread of Eri's hypnosis that was left completely unresolved and left the manga on a completely unnecessary cliffhanger ending.

Talbis

Oct 22, 2013
Bruce Kilkowski said:
Talbis said:
Bruce Kilkowski said:

Talbis said:
Magenera said:
Fair enough about the conversation thing. i just felt like most of them could have been streamlined and shifted over to actual plot progression, instead of them sitting in a bar or on a boat not accomplishing much. And I wasn't referring to the motivation, which I was fine with. I meant the huge, dangling plot thread of Eri's hypnosis that was left completely unresolved and left the manga on a completely unnecessary cliffhanger ending.
In my opinion all the talking Goto and Dojima did was important to show the tension between them. It was like a game of chess where all the significant words had to be hidden in the sea of casual conversation. Also it did show Goto's stoic nature and Dojima's predatory instincts. Like like in westerns, they were looking at each other for a long while before drawing their guns. As to Eri and her ending... I didn't really care all that much. It didn't bother Goto, I didn't change anything really. I was happy about the ending, but hey, it's just my opinion, in the long run it doesn't really matter what I think. Still I find manga to be better than the 2003 adaptation.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
For those of you who haven't seen Oldboy yet, the original, it's now on Netflix.

Also, I can see why the movie has become such a icon, but I didn't particularly like it.