Escape to the Movies: Ouija - Just A Lame Cash-In

K12

Dec 28, 2012
I'm surprised that they can make a film called Ouija. I was under the impression that the game's name was still under copywright.

Arfreid

Aug 13, 2009
So, this means that I must give up hope that Bob will review "The book of life" ?

I know this isn't a terror movie, but it's about the "Dia de Muertos" which is the equivalent of Mexican halloween.

That is at least an interesting concept... right?!

vid87

May 17, 2010
Considering this was supposedly made for around $5 million it becomes less a matter of if it gets a sequel and more about the real horror: how many sequels and will it break the Saw/Paranormal Activity franchise streaks?

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
K12 said:
I'm surprised that they can make a film called Ouija. I was under the impression that the game's name was still under copywright.
Trademark, and it is. Hasbro are the ones who made the damn movie. Surprised?

Cranyx

Mar 6, 2011
"Legitimate spiritualists and mediums"

You may have a bit of a contradiction there, Bob.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Steve the Pocket said:
K12 said:
I'm surprised that they can make a film called Ouija. I was under the impression that the game's name was still under copyright.
Trademark, and it is. Hasbro are the ones who made the damn movie. Surprised?
Slightly embarrassed I didn't think of that and apparently don't understand the difference between copyright and trademark.

It's not exactly the Lego Movie is it?

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Bah, I really enjoy Moviebob's content, but I can never truly like a person who makes sure every year that everyone understands how much they despise the holiday season.

I get that there's a lot of nasty stuff associated with the holiday season, but it takes the smallest amount of effort to ignore all that awful stuff and embrace the good parts of the season.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
K12 said:
Slightly embarrassed I didn't think of that and apparently don't understand the difference between copyright and trademark.
For future reference, copyrights mean a control right over the copying one's creative output, while trademarks are about the exclusive use of a mark that has been associated with one's trade.

A book's text, or a video game's content, are copyrighted. A word like "Windows", or a shape like the golden arches, are trademarked.

Copyrights require original creation, and last for a fix timeframe based on the author's death. Trademarks require brand identification, and last as long as the brand is in use and the trademarked label is associated with it.

Copyright is the one that gets our let's play videos, and youtube remix videos taken down, fanfic writers censored, and abandonware unpublishable.

Trademarks are the ones that get Scrolls and Banner Saga sued, Battleship and Ouija produced, and make Adobe insisting that the proper phrase is "edited with Adobe Photoshop software". (if "photoshopped" would be said separately from the brand often enough, they could lose it).

Moeez

May 28, 2009

I'm not sure why Moviebob didn't review Nightwalker instead which is creepier about the real world (news culture) and is already regarded as one of the best films of the year with a career-defining performance from Jake Gyllenhaal. It's happened for a year now, picking easy targets to slam rather than more interesting movies that are given the briefest of mentions.

Lalo Lomeli

Sep 9, 2011
Arfreid said:
So, this means that I must give up hope that Bob will review "The book of life" ?

I know this isn't a terror movie, but it's about the "Dia de Muertos" which is the equivalent of Mexican halloween.

That is at least an interesting concept... right?!
I was also hoping for "The Book of Life" review, especially with Guillermo del Toro as a producer. And how it has some similarities with Paranorman.

My review of the movie, it's a good movie, you should see it, tell your friends.

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
I was hoping Bob would tear into Annabelle which would be far more entertaining considering how laughably bad awful it is.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
I don't think we can be shocked it's bad. Hasbro desperately wants to be a media company like Marvel but they are still in the phase of approving just about anything just to get their brands out there. Perhaps one day Hasbro Studios will decide hey quality is important, but making any money off of crap has them in the crap phase of studio evolution.

FriendlyFyre

Aug 7, 2013
Moeez said:

I'm not sure why Moviebob didn't review Nightwalker instead which is creepier about the real world (news culture) and is already regarded as one of the best films of the year with a career-defining performance from Jake Gyllenhaal. It's happened for a year now, picking easy targets to slam rather than more interesting movies that are given the briefest of mentions.
I saw Nightcrawler on Halloween night and it was a disturbing portrait of socipathy, marred only by pacing issues, but with great music and some pretty thrilling scenes. There's a lot of commentary going on with how Jake Gyllenhal's character is so amoral, but cloaks it in a kind of American "Can-do" attitude, but one of his lines really stuck out to me as being wholy indicative of a character like him.

He says: "A friend is a GIFT you give YOURSELF"

In the context it has some very unnerving implications.

Also, death by pool cover? How is that even possible?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
K12 said:
Trademark. And while this is a Hasbro property, I'm surprised Ouija hasn't become sufficiently genericised to lose trademark status.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Surprise, surprise.

The trailers looked like absolute garbage. At least Battleship was able to provide braindead entertainment, which is something I can tolerate.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I know it wasn't intentional, but Bob's dull voice this week really showed how boring and by the numbers this film is. Does anyone really use Ouija boards anymore?

Moeez

May 28, 2009
FriendlyFyre said:
Moeez said:

I saw Nightcrawler on Halloween night and it was a disturbing portrait of socipathy, marred only by pacing issues, but with great music and some pretty thrilling scenes. There's a lot of commentary going on with how Jake Gyllenhal's character is so amoral, but cloaks it in a kind of American "Can-do" attitude, but one of his lines really stuck out to me as being wholy indicative of a character like him.

He says: "A friend is a GIFT you give YOURSELF"

In the context it has some very unnerving implications.

Also, death by pool cover? How is that even possible?
There is also the line he says about a fellow nightcrawler
when Bill Paxton dies from the car crash by his partner on not to take footage of him:

"We are professionals. He's a sale."
Shivers.