Escape to the Movies: Pacific Rim

Aikayai

May 31, 2011
Watched the movie a second time this evening, this time staying after the credits. DEAR GOD STAY AFTER THE CREDITS. The last segment of the movie plays after the cool Yager animations. If you haven't seen that section then here is your excuse to go see it again. Best action movie I've seen since last time I watched it.

Plus, mechs punching the s**t out of big ass monsters is just badass. Even Mister Torgue would approve.

weirdsoup

Jul 28, 2010
Just come home from seeing this film. Wow, just woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. I've just spent 2 hours with a huge grin on my face watching giant robots beating down alien monsters and I LOVED IT!!!

Seriously, if the showing I'd gone to hadn't been the last showing of the day I would have gone and bought another ticket and sat through it again.

It's joyfully fun in the way a big budget action movie SHOULD be. None of this po-faced, uber dark seriousness that seems to have ingrained itself into films these days. Nor did it go too far the other way and treat it's material with contempt or stupidity, or try and put a sneering face of only being able to enjoy this if you're being post-modern and ironic.

I was planning to go see The Wolverine and The World's End, but they're both on the back burner until I've seen Pacific Rim again.

Somnambulistic

Aug 28, 2012
I watched the movie the saturday after it came out. No shit, I couldn't even get up to get a refill because I didn't want to miss anything. This movie was the right length, it had almost everything that it needed wrapped up in the package. This movie was awesome. I generally hate everything that I watch, but this movie was something I loved. I really haven't ever gone back to see a movie again within a week in years but I'm going to see it again and this time in Imax 3d (i originally watched it 2D) hopefully this week!

The only thing I wished for more of (and I understand that it would've thrown this movie to LOTR length)is that we could've seen more of the Russians and the Chinese teams before they were killed off. So there could've been a bigger sense of "HOLY.SHIT." when they were killed. Just because the way it was, it was like "here's the russians and here's the chinese. They're unique and badass. And now they're dead. So, no real attachment or sense of awesome with those characters, so no real sense of danger when they're as easily dispatched as they are. It felt more like "well. . . that was quick" and you kinda knew they were going to die with how little time was spent on them.

Other than that, because it's literally just nitpicky:

Kudos Mr. Del Toro, Mad Kudos.

ETA: I think all the Overhype about it is probably just from those of us that haven't seen what we think is a fantastic movie in a long time, who want everyone to see it so that it doesn't wind up being a repeat of Scott Pilgrim. A lot of us overhypers don't want to see a good movie not get the attention it needs to show there's actual interest in something not entirely regurgitated to be the same shit we've all seen over and over again. Which is what happened with Scott Pilgrim. (Not enough marketing, etc. so no one really went to see it and it tanked because everybody went to see the Expendables.) Especially since this movie is competing with Grown Ups 2 :C

I can understand the Scott Pilgrim incident because it was competing with the Expendables, but Pacific Rim is competing with Grown Ups 2. Pacific Rim was as enjoyable as The Avengers to me if not more so. It really shouldn't lose to Grown Ups 2. xD

General Vagueness

Feb 24, 2009
PuckFuppet said:
General Vagueness said:
Also if there are ranged weapons that hurt them, why not use those the whole time instead of a giant close-up robotic exoskeleton thing?
Missing the point, entirely. But hey lets see...
What point, giant robots fighting giant monsters? Up until I saw this review I was able to push the ridiculous-looking stuff to the back of my mind because it did seem awesome and I figured Sr. del Toro would actually try to have it make sense. It looks like he did try and he succeeded in some ways....

3. Physics. They show more than once that everything from jet impacts to missiles don't do much damage to the Kaiju's actual skin, what ranged weapons the Jaegers use seem to rely on the concussive effect of their shots to disorient rather than actually kill. So rather than build a bigger more explosive/armour piercing missile just stick a few hundred tons worth of nuclear powered hydraulic force behind a giant metal fist or a titanium sword.
how? I mean, if missiles, planes, etc. don't do much, why would a big rocket-powered fist work better?

5. As for the two pilots required hook, it makes sense to me that any kind of mind-machine interface would be shockingly inefficient (moreso if developed on the fly due to need) but if you want to sign yourself up for the first trials of a piece of tech that works by blasting your cranium with low level radiation and electricity to measure synapse response and derive from that a command... then sure bro, you go right a head... get it... head?
Why even do that though? Why not just hook up sensors to their nerves, or simpler and non-invasive-er yet, just have something they move that has sensors associated with it, like that 3D mouse thing-- heck, I bet you could just use some kind of motion capture suit. With any of those, to keep them from running into the inside of the robot, they could have mechanisms like in the movie (shown in one or two of the trailers) or put them in a padded room or hang them in a harness wire-fu style or something.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
The only thing wrong with Pacific Rim is that it was a 2-hour movie instead of a 4-hour movie. If this is because they ran out of CGI money, then I appreciate what budget they did have was spent well. Really well. Other than that it was giant robot godzilla movie pro wrestling genius.

Damn.

DAMN!!!

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
A really fantastic movie. So glad I opted to see it in the theater, one of the few movies I'll actually take the time to do that for.

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
Monsterfurby said:
Hold on - two pilots mind-merged to pilot a mecha?

Where did I [http://www.amazon.com/Mecha-Corps-Novel-Armor-Wars/dp/0451464311] see that before [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M1Wf8DU2UA]?

I mean, okay, alright, it's Mecha vs. Kaiju - it's not supposed to be original. But still, it irks me that the hollywood blockbuster version once again gets the "brilliant ideas" credit for things that others did a billion times before. It irks me that it gets credit for ideas that Mecha Corps stole in a much more intelligent fashion, and Mecha Corps is not even a great novel!
Gundam did it before both in 1986 (I actually don't know if it came out before mecha corps because I've never heard of the book and there's no wikipedia article about it, can't imagine it has much influence on pop culture), and seeded the idea earlier in 1979. Again in 1994 they did it, much closer to Pacific Rim's style of 1:1 movement. They also did the each country has a different Gundam thing, which is used in Pacific Rim.

Pacific Rim is totally it's own thing, it's inspired by many things, but it creates a totally unique and visually interesting universe. There's tons of callbacks and shout-outs to other stuff, but to say the movie "steals" these ideas demonstrates a complete lack of logical and coherent thought that borders on the idiotic.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
daibakuha said:
Pacific Rim is totally it's own thing, it's inspired by many things, but it creates a totally unique and visually interesting universe. There's tons of callbacks and shout-outs to other stuff, but to say the movie "steals" these ideas demonstrates a complete lack of logical and coherent thought that borders on the idiotic.
Whew, hold your horses there - I said nothing against the film. It may well be a brilliant action/sci-fi flick. I'm actually looking forward to seeing it when it comes across the pond. What I AM saying is that I find it odd (and even dislike) the fact that many elements seem to be received as "something completely new", which is completely opposite to what the film is even TRYING to be. It's not meant to have original elements (as far as I know, no individual plot element here is), but to be interesting as the sum of its parts. That the press does not seem to get, especially if the commentator in question is not aware of the mecha and/or kaiju genre's long history.

Your personal insult is completely pointless.

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
Monsterfurby said:
daibakuha said:
Whew, hold your horses there - I said nothing against the film. It may well be a brilliant action/sci-fi flick. I'm actually looking forward to seeing it when it comes across the pond. What I AM saying is that I find it odd (and even dislike) the fact that many elements seem to be received as "something completely new", which is completely opposite to what the film is even TRYING to be. It's not meant to have original elements (as far as I know, no individual plot element here is), but to be interesting as the sum of its parts. That the press does not seem to get, especially if the commentator in question is not aware of the mecha and/or kaiju genre's long history.

Your personal insult is completely pointless.
Because for most of it's audience this type of mecha/kaiju slugfest is "completely new". And Do you really think that Bob doesn't know the list of influences this film has? Really? He's done several episodes and articles taking about this very subject.

Again though, the movie is it's own thing, so don't be surprised if you see people mention how awesome and new it is. There are elements in this film that are completely original to the film itself. You criticizing the language of critics and those who've seen it, when you yourself haven't is one of the most hilariously off-base comments I've ever read.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
daibakuha said:
Allow me to re-phrase your point.

"You are making assumptions about a movie you haven't even seen yet. Try watching it first before you judge, because it's a really great movie."

That I do get. I may have been a bit rash in my assessment of the press' reception in that the way things are brought together here is indeed something new. It is also something new in terms of what is shown to the mainstream, you are right, and that definitely merits a positive mention.

On the other hand my comment is partly a reaction to Bob's repeated invocation of "geek culture" as a thing (while I'm certainly a nerd in that I have a short attention span and am interested in literally [yes, literally] everything to a certain degree, I don't think of myself as part of some larger "nerd culture", "geek culture" or "gamer culture"). I personally think that these kinds of isolationist "we are different" statements and trying to define oneself as being part of some group, however defined, reflects a very destructive and pessimistic attitude towards society. BUT that's not really the main topic and therefore may have been misplaced as a comment here.

I agree with your point, but you might want to reconsider the way you present it. You keep putting words in my mouth (eh, on my fingers? whatever) and generally sound like you are trying very hard to turn an ostensibly on-topic discussion into a personal debate as if I insulted you personally. Look, mate, I have nothing against you, this movie, Bob (why would I even post here if I did) or anyone else for that matter, so could we please leave the schoolyard behavior out of this? Thanks.

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
Cyanic said:
Screw all the analysis and judging, you're missing the point. Its live action robots punching monsters in the face and its FUN. Learn to suspend disbelief and just enjoy yourself for once.
I did, and it sucked. The fight scenes were boring and confusing. The final showdown was the worst. A category 5 Kaiju arises out of the Rim for the first time to a huge entrance and literally disappears. They don't bring it up again and it doesn't fight anyone. When they go into the Rim it's not there anymore either. The director seems to have forgotten about the final boss. I mean that was a common theme in the movie, people forgot what they said earlier and contradicted the characters they had established. It was just all around a boring movie. I came in expecting nothing at all, I heard it was good so I just let loose and dear lord was I disappointed. It's just bad.

Gunjester

Mar 31, 2010
Aside from Moviebob's massive monster-boner (being a fan of the genre and all), this movie really IS good.
The only flaws I can see are the length and the Marshall...

The movie felt painstakingly short for me, by the time it was getting near the climax, all I could think was "What? No! There's only been a handful of fights! I wanted a bit longer, one more fight please!" And my wish was granted, more or less, but that only speaks to its quality.

The downside? Every actor did their parts varying from good enough-great, except one, the Marshall. One of the Jaegar pilot's father was a character with too-few lines and he gave a superb performance, making it easy to identify with him, match him up with the great performance by Rinko Kukichi and Charlie Day and it's a great movie. But the Marshall was a character that was extremely well-written, crafted and respectable, but Idris Elba did the role so blandly I barely cared about him. The movie's fun and heart-pounding, and definitely on-par with Independence day, but that Marshall nearly killed some of the most important parts for me.

Aikayai

May 31, 2011
Warforger said:
Cyanic said:
Screw all the analysis and judging, you're missing the point. Its live action robots punching monsters in the face and its FUN. Learn to suspend disbelief and just enjoy yourself for once.
I did, and it sucked. The fight scenes were boring and confusing. The final showdown was the worst. A category 5 Kaiju arises out of the Rim for the first time to a huge entrance and literally disappears. They don't bring it up again and it doesn't fight anyone. When they go into the Rim it's not there anymore either. The director seems to have forgotten about the final boss. I mean that was a common theme in the movie, people forgot what they said earlier and contradicted the characters they had established. It was just all around a boring movie. I came in expecting nothing at all, I heard it was good so I just let loose and dear lord was I disappointed. It's just bad.
You would disappear if a nuke exploded in your face.

If you don't understand a movie that tells you everything then you'll never be satisfied with anything. This was like Far Cry: Blood Dragon, something different and exiting and no bull. I also find it hard to see what was confusing about mechs fighting aliens when they look nothing alike...

Ayay

Dec 6, 2009
Just saw this thing and sure you can watch it with out going blind ,but its just a action blockbuster that you will not remember in 2 weeks.Wich is good because in a years time you are bored and see this on netflix or whatever and go ...hmm i think i tought that thing was oki. and then rewatch it to kill a few hours.And for the ppl that loved this movie ..well good for them i say and i am sure there will be a second one.

Axyun

Oct 31, 2011
I've never liked the Transformer movies. Sat through 45 minutes of the first one before turning it off. Saw 15 minutes of the seconds before turning that off. Haven't bothered and will never bother with the 3rd.

With that in mind, I enjoyed Pacific Rim. They were definitely just shy of a better movie but it was enjoyable enough. I only found the movie dragged in one place and right as I was about to verbalize those thoughts, the punching action kicked in.

Better acting, better character development and a little more variety to the fighting times/locations would have made this good movie several times better.

I'm not much of a movie-goer but I might go see this again in 3D since I've never watched one of those before.

velcrokidneyz

Sep 28, 2010
i thought this film was great and charlie day's character was by far my favorite. he cracked me up. basically charlie from its always sunny except a doctor. highly underrated actor imho.

Max_imus

Jul 8, 2010
Just saw it the other day, and boy is it glorious.
I can see why some people might dislike it, though. It definitely stands and falls with the viewer's ability to reactivate one's inner 10-year-old. And you could literally go ahead and cross off every action movie cliché and trope on a list if you so desired.

But here's the thing: that's what summer blockbuster action movies are for, and this film delivered on all levels it needed to deliver. That's what I go to a movie theatre for. Dramas I can watch on my own TV. Giant robots punching Cthulhu in the face, not so much without losing out on the experience.

Also: Stay through the beginning of the credits. Seriously, stay.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
Metalrocks said:
sounds good and i sure are interested, but for some odd reason my cinema, who usually plays 2D and 3D version of the same movie,only has it in 3D.
not really fond of 3D and it costs too much. looks like i have to wait till its out on dvd so i can watch it in normal 2D version.
While i agree w/ you 100% on the 3D thing, if 3D is your only option you really should go see it. It is absolutely a theatre movie worth the extra few bucks and the mild annoyance of the 3D for the sheer unrivaled spectacle of it. Unless of course you have a 100" quadHD tv to watch it on, then feel free to disregard the previous ;)

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
So I just got back from this movie.

HOLYSHITTHISISFUCKINGAWESOMEOMYGODHESLICEDTHATGUYSINHALFINMIDAIROHMYGOD!!!

This movie touched my inner child, and I liked it.

Maybe I should rephrase thaFUCKITTHATWASAWESOME.