Escape to the Movies: Paddington - Surprisingly Bearable

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Paddington - Surprisingly Bearable

Shocking, I know, but it's actually quite good. Marmalade sandwiches for everyone.

Watch Video

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Rotten Tomatoes, Marter and Bob all pointing towards Paddington and giving it praise. I'm still a little dumbstruck by this, this is the kind of thing that doesn't happen. This is like hearing that Uncharted has a genuinely good story.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
I guess they made a solid decision when they replaced Colin Firth as the voice of Paddington (originally cast for his "bearish" voice). I was afraid the casting would be a downgrade.

It seems like The Escapist's IT is already experiencing problems after the blood-letting. I the quote button isn't working in my Chrome browser, and the video won't play (although the side-bar ads still work).

Khanht Cope

Jul 22, 2011
I need advice for watching the video. It won't respond when I click it, there's no player. It's happening with all the videos on this site.

I've usually had no trouble with this, though I did recently let my computer update to windows 8.1 from windows 8, which made some slight changes to my IE browser. Any advice?

[edit] Also the comment box for typing in is ridiculously small. It's only tall enough for two lines.

HemalJB

Oct 10, 2011
Another week, another "Dark Knight Rises sucks" reference. Why don't you shake things up a bit and start referencing the new Ninja Turtles for awkward backstories and over-realism?

Mark B

Nov 5, 2007
For the record it has not snowed like that in London for years (and rarely does).

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
While I did grew up knowing Paddington but I too didn't expect it to be good either.

tm96

Feb 1, 2014
Mark B said:
For the record it has not snowed like that in London for years (and rarely does).
Even if it snows say about half a foot the country shuts down and panic because we weren't prepared.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
HemalJB said:
Another week, another "Dark Knight Rises sucks" reference. Why don't you shake things up a bit and start referencing the new Ninja Turtles for awkward backstories and over-realism?
Y'missed the point, I think. He wasn't criticising the film itself; he was mentioning the recent tendency to over-analyse franchises (like Batman) that rely on a certain level of suspension of disbelief.

vid87

May 17, 2010
I'm really annoyed how trailers seem to keep depicting things as far worse than they are - this one looked godawful and the January stigma didn't help. I know they can't give everything away and they can only explain so much, but it's to the point where you could end up missing something special.

yatterman1

Nov 17, 2009
like that the actor playing the 12th doctor was in it, but yes its a great remake of old series of stuff from back in the day, which seems to be hit and miss lately cause they grab anything that they are able shove into a movie or a series and completely neglect any of the original idea be hind the thing they are using for that tv show/movie. however i think they did pull that movie off well.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Quelle fuckage...

I still don't know if I can bear (pardon the pun) to see this movie in a full priced theater, but damned if the critical response hasn't been all but unanimous.

All I can say is whoever was responsible for the trailers needs to never work in the industry again.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
I've been looking at this film with an impending sense of woe in the assumption that it'll be as terrible as the Magic Roundabout film from a couple of years ago... but it really is pretty good. The marketing from this film really did it a major disservice.

WarpedLord

Mar 11, 2009
Callate said:
Quelle fuckage...

I still don't know if I can bear (pardon the pun) to see this movie in a full priced theater, but damned if the critical response hasn't been all but unanimous.

All I can say is whoever was responsible for the trailers needs to never work in the industry again.
Agreed. Even with the almost unanimous praise the film is getting, I have a hard time believing it could be any good because the trailers make it look AWFUL.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Callate said:
Quelle fuckage...

Seconded - I totally assumed this was Magic Roundabout all over again.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
ryukage_sama said:
It seems like The Escapist's IT is already experiencing problems after the blood-letting. I the quote button isn't working in my Chrome browser, and the video won't play (although the side-bar ads still work).
Khanht Cope said:
[edit] Also the comment box for typing in is ridiculously small. It's only tall enough for two lines.
I was having these issues last week. I briefly wondered if someone had seen my snarky comment about JavaScript not working on someone's tablet and decided to IP block me from accessing their JavaScript files to see how I like it. But it seems to be happening on and off for a bunch of people lately.

angel85

Dec 31, 2008
This reminds me of your review of Real Steel. You know, in that it was a movie you expected to hate, but then you saw it and it was good. Is that a thing? Do we need to come up with a name for this type of movie? I would love to hear what "genre" we would call this.