Escape to the Movies: Paddington - Surprisingly Bearable

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
WarpedLord said:
Callate said:
Quelle fuckage...

I still don't know if I can bear (pardon the pun) to see this movie in a full priced theater, but damned if the critical response hasn't been all but unanimous.

All I can say is whoever was responsible for the trailers needs to never work in the industry again.
Agreed. Even with the almost unanimous praise the film is getting, I have a hard time believing it could be any good because the trailers make it look AWFUL.
Exactly. That whole "cleaning your ears with a guys toothbrush" almost made me throw up. It's Hotel Transylvania or The Croods all over again(another kids films where they advertised it as another crappy kids film and milked one scene in the ads and it turns out to be good).

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
angel85 said:
This reminds me of your review of Real Steel. You know, in that it was a movie you expected to hate, but then you saw it and it was good. Is that a thing? Do we need to come up with a name for this type of movie? I would love to hear what "genre" we would call this.
I call it Crood syndrome when I talk to others about it. A movie is hyped on one or two scenes that ads will milk to the point where people will think "those must be the only good scenes" and skip it. In The Croods, the sloth going "DUN DUN DUUUUUUUN" was this. Yet people that saw it were like, "This is actually good".

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
Um. File this under Nit, For Picking Of, Spelling.

"Surprisingly Bearable" is correct and mostly in place, but I'm still seeing "Surprisingly Bareable" (front page, large display, text under small menu preview below large display, mouseover text on small menu preview)

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
I thought the film was relatively decent but the ratio of kid to adult friendly content felt skewed and haphazard at best. I agree with Bob on his analysis of toning it down or having more toned down moments in between.

What I cannot reconcile with is that the taxidermist is almost identical to a horror character (written by a person with a medical background) who has no qualms about preforming un-anesthetized vivisections FOR SCIENCE!!!(even the hair reminded me a little bit of her's) Being able to appreciate the more horrific aspects of what was implied made those scenes particularly uncomfortable, especially given
She receives no jail-time for attempted murder which I feel cheapens the severity of her actions

Overall a decent film but not something I would go out of my way to watch again.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
angel85 said:
This reminds me of your review of Real Steel. You know, in that it was a movie you expected to hate, but then you saw it and it was good. Is that a thing? Do we need to come up with a name for this type of movie? I would love to hear what "genre" we would call this.
I'd call them "Unexpected Pleasant Surprises" (patent pending).

OT: I sort of remember Paddington from when I was in England as a kid. I think I'm now well outside this movie's target demo.

Now for Marvel and Secret Wars, why the recycling of old event names? And for that matter, why are they charging into yet ANOTHER event right after AXIS? They used to give us some breathing room in between events to catch onto the new status-quo, before (inevitably) changing it again next year.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
RaikuFA said:
WarpedLord said:
Callate said:
Quelle fuckage...

I still don't know if I can bear (pardon the pun) to see this movie in a full priced theater, but damned if the critical response hasn't been all but unanimous.

All I can say is whoever was responsible for the trailers needs to never work in the industry again.
Agreed. Even with the almost unanimous praise the film is getting, I have a hard time believing it could be any good because the trailers make it look AWFUL.
Exactly. That whole "cleaning your ears with a guys toothbrush" almost made me throw up. It's Hotel Transylvania or The Croods all over again(another kids films where they advertised it as another crappy kids film and milked one scene in the ads and it turns out to be good).
A better example would be Arthur Christmas. GOD, what I'd give for that movie to have been advertised properly.

OT: Well that's a surprise. Might check it out.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Good to hear.
I have no real emotional ties to Paddington, mainly recall seeing the stop animation shorts during my youth while watching Nick Jr. with you younger relatives. I wasn't exactly eager to see this, but I'm glad to hear it wasn't another Alvin & The Chipmunks/Smurfs/Garfield style abortion.

While we're touching on old British children's books turned TV shorts...I'd kinda like to see Simon in the Land of Chalk Drawings. Seems like there's a lot of fun to be had with that premise.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
I saw the preview a year or so ago and thought gee they did not rape this IP to death so it should be okay at best. I was right!... Still dislike MOS and the Noland Batman films there might have been holes in Green Lantern but sheesh it was not a disjumbalbed train wreck or trying so hard to be needlessly different than the IP.....

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
wait, what? its actually watchable? i only saw the trailer and i didnt find anything in it funny. not a single person was laughing either. guess its one of these movies were i wait until its really cheap to get. unless a shop opens up near my place to rent movies.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Count me among those who can't figure out how a movie with that cringe- and nausea-inducing slapstick scene from the trailers can be good.

Comrade_Beric

Jacobin
May 10, 2010
This is why we keep you around, Bob. Fuck knows I never would have watched this on my own and, evidently, I would have been missing out. Thank you.

My name is JACK

Aug 10, 2014
angel85 said:
I agree there should be some sort of a formal name for this sort of thing.

THM

Sep 27, 2014
Loved the movie, and actually really liked the trailer, too - if anything, having the bathroom scene without dialogue made it funnier. (I know, I know, I'm in the minority.) I was heartened (and relieved) to see that the big-screen treatment of a character I've loved my entire life did such a good job of staying true to who he was and also making him accessible to people who've never encountered him before.

Plus, the (calypso?) band was fun. :)

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Does anyone else think that the villain sounds like they just took Cruella Deville and put her into a Paddigton story. One of the things I really liked about the old Paddigton books was the lack of an antagonist. As a child who grew up with Malificent, Cruellla, Jafar, etc it was nice to have a children's story that didn't have a bad guy.

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
When America does an unnecessary remake of a bear story, we get the loud, obnoxious and creatively bankrupt Yogi bear (2010).
When the UK does an unnecessary remake of a bear story, we get a charming, simple and even smart Paddington bear.

But on the other hand, Paddington was at its core much more sophisticated and intelligent both as a book and an animated series, than Yogi bear was as just a crummy, unfunny cartoon. (Seriously, those Hannah Barbara cartoons weren't as funny as you think they are.) So maybe the comparison wasn't fair from the start.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
I am just as surprised as bob is about this one considering how modern movie adaptations of classic cartoons that we grew up with tend to turn out. (The book was made into a series of cartoons before this movie). I'll still wait for the home media release before checking this one out (I am saving the movie budget for that "Age of Ultron" thing that you may not have heard about) but it's nice to know that this one is actually worth watching.

And the title of the first credits gag seems to not even be trying to be subtle about the dual meaning of that phrase