Escape to the Movies: Paranormal Activity 2

Eicha

Oct 7, 2009
Okay, after watching it I have changed my mind. The movie was great. Yeah, it didn't go anywhere new or blah blah blah but it was scary and suspenseful and added depth to the original story.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
I didn't even enjoy the first one. It was alright at first, when it was going down the route of "every creak of your house may mean you're going through what they are". Then there was the footprints, and the demon, and I was just laughing.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
ldbmikey86 said:
Ehh. I don't regret my decision in rushing out to go see it. It was just 'okay'.

But, I LOVED the scene in the kitchen where the wife's reading, and it's just building up tension, then BAM! every fucking cabinet n everything opens all at once. The whole audience jumped; it was great.
One of the best scenes. I didn't enjoy the film, it didn't make me jump once and there is something wrong if the entire audience is laughing at half the scares.

But that scene was brilliant. I'm pretty sure one of my friends shat himself :p

Vash911 said:
Pfft, there was no demon it was all the pool cleaner that thing is PURE EVIL!
This, so much this. That thing annoyed me so much in that film

THEfog101

Apr 18, 2009
dogstile said:
ldbmikey86 said:
Ehh. I don't regret my decision in rushing out to go see it. It was just 'okay'.

But, I LOVED the scene in the kitchen where the wife's reading, and it's just building up tension, then BAM! every fucking cabinet n everything opens all at once. The whole audience jumped; it was great.
One of the best scenes. I didn't enjoy the film, it didn't make me jump once and there is something wrong if the entire audience is laughing at half the scares.

Vash911 said:
Yeah but its good if there is a little bit of humor in a horror movie because if they can break the tension and then build it up again then they have done a good job. i personally liked this movie, sure it was a little predictable but the atmosphere of the movie and the decision to stray away from the whole hack'n'slash and gore genre really worked to be honest.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
THEfog101 said:
dogstile said:
ldbmikey86 said:

Vash911 said:
Yeah but its good if there is a little bit of humor in a horror movie because if they can break the tension and then build it up again then they have done a good job. i personally liked this movie, sure it was a little predictable but the atmosphere of the movie and the decision to stray away from the whole hack'n'slash and gore genre really worked to be honest.
A little humour can be good. However, if the audience only jumped at 2-3 scares in the film and burst into hysterics with the rest of the scares then the film has obviously done a horrible job.

Jeffro Tull

Sep 27, 2010
Wasn't a big fan of the completely one dimensional characters of the first one who apparently have never seen a single horror movie in their lives. The bedroom scenes were the only scenes in that movie that actually had any substance, otherwise it was two spoiled upper middle class kids screaming at each other for two hours about the nonsensical demon thing... needless to say I'm not going out of my way to see the second.

Hatchet90

Nov 15, 2009
the Dept of Science said:
Have there been any good horror movie sequels ever?

By the way, not a rhetorical question, I would actually like to know.
Evil Dead II, Aliens, The Devil's Rejects, and Friday the 13th Part II are just a few that I can think of. There's also... Troll II

OT: It's hard to believe anyone was scared by this one. I'll admit that I thought the first one pretty good, but with the sequel there really isn't any suspense. You're just waiting for a pot to fall down or a door to slam. The final moments were pretty well done, but they didn't scare me. Hell I was laughing through basically the whole thing, laughing at how un-relatable the characters were. The dad was an ass, the mom was a paranoid psychopath, and the daughter was a whiny *****. The only characters I was cheering for were the dog and the pool cleaner because they're the only ones who actually had any sense.

Chrissyluky

Jul 3, 2009
Well that's disappointing I was hoping this would be good but I can't say I didn't see this coming when the director swaps came around.

Olikunmissile

Jul 16, 2008
Outright refused to watch. I'm not waiting 30 seconds.

Poor show. This whole pay to use the site really is getting on my nerves.

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
Did people expect this to be good and not just the same crap again? I didn't even see the first one and knew this was gonna happen. I'm still waiting on the crappy cloverfield 2.

mptothedc

Jul 23, 2009
I agree entirely. The first movie was unique but now that Hollywood put their hand in it every scare that came up was totally predictable like all other unoriginal commercial horror films. It got to the point where I was thinking... enter loud noise here... then it would happen. Plus...
dunno how to hide spoiler warning but.... The end just made me think... Hulk Smash!

KO4U

Aug 15, 2010
Can't really agree with your last argument Bob. Seeing this with a audience around you made every minute jump worthy and fun.

Eponet

Nov 18, 2009
Eumersian said:
I always expect sequels to horror films to be really boring. It's because of basically what Bob said:

1. For it to be a proper sequel it has to be kind of in the same vein as the original.
2. Because of this, watchers of the first one will basically know what goes on, because straying too much won't have the kind of connection necessary for a proper sequel.

I've seen a few horror movies, and they were OK. But Paranormal Activity sounded to me like a cheap attempt at putting horror in an uncomfortably familiar place (an average family home). The thing about horror is that when you're scared once, it's done. The deed is done. That thing probably doesn't scare you much any more. To make a good horror movie, you have to do something a bit different, so that people will actually be surprised and thus, frightened.
Well, who says that the sequel has the be the same genre as the one before it? Just because the horror fails to shock, it doesn't mean that it'll be bad; it just means that you need to switch to comedy. i.e.: Evil Dead 2 followed by Army of Darkness.

Eponet

Nov 18, 2009
Hatchet90 said:

Evil Dead II, Aliens, The Devil's Rejects, and Friday the 13th Part II are just a few that I can think of. There's also... Troll II
Don't forget Evil Dead 3. It wasn't a horror movie, but it was a great horror movie sequel.

Hatchet90

Nov 15, 2009
Eponet said:
Hatchet90 said:

Don't forget Evil Dead 3. It wasn't a horror movie, but it was a great horror movie sequel.
Oh, don't even get me started with Army of Darkness, that is easily one of my favorite comedies.

achillesbogart

Sep 13, 2010
Paranormal Activity would have been good if it was half as long. However, we got stuck with a feature length movie. It was tense and scary when it was supposed to be and it was good at that, but the characters... Oh man, the hate I had for them. I was rooting for the two protagonists to die by half an hour in and I wanted it to be a horrible death to happen right then so I could leave with my ride. Mr. Testosterone constantly beating his chest and calling out the demon and his totally submissive, spineless girlfriend who refused to leave when stuff got freaky even though she said she would, got old really fast. It was like having a broken record driving the plot. I wanted that demon to turn those two into shredded beef.

The thought of a sequel horrifies me, and its even worse that they are going to include those two one dimensional characters in it.

StarkillerisDead

Nov 20, 2009
Hatchet90 said:
Eponet said:
Hatchet90 said:

[REC] 2 managed to avert the "seen-it-all-before thing" Bob mentioned spectacularly, and was awesome.

Oh, don't even get me started with Army of Darkness, that is easily one of my favorite comedies.

Tormuse

Nov 18, 2009
Saw it earlier tonight.

It wasn't the best horror movie I've seen, but to call it a "lame cash-in" seems unfair to me. I mean, arguably, it's a lot of the same kind of scares they use in the first film, but it still had enough substance to keep me interested and (at least some of) my friends I saw it with too. Obviously, if you didn't like the first one you definitely don't want to see this one. Otherwise, I wouldn't completely rule it out. Yes, the audience collectively laughed at a lot of the scares, but it never stopped being fun. (at least for me)