Escape to the Movies: Paranormal Activity 2

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Paranormal Activity 2

This week MovieBob takes a frightening look at Paranormal Activity 2.

Watch Video

RedRussian

Jun 7, 2010
I was hoping this one would be scarier then the last. I was kinda disappointed by the first one.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Please don't ever remind about anyone about Blair Witch 2...

Please.

And don't ever stop being such a Nintendo fanboy.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
The review was exactly what I was expecting him to say, but due to the original's popularity you can still expect Paranormal Activity 3D to hit cinemas next year.
(Though at the VERY least next time it won't be up against Saw.)

Angelus SnV

Nov 19, 2009
Um....i liked Blair Witch 2 more than th'first one....i dunno, i'm just not a fan of the whole "shaky camera to show fear" thing, it damn near gave me motion sickness...and the end wasn't exactly "scary"...

i also liked (what i've seen so far) all the saw films....i guess i'm just the minority (i've only seen I-V btw...haven't gotten ahold of VI, but hopin' to before i see 3D)....

so...yeah...

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Meh. This is why I don't do horror flicks. And certainly not horror sequals. Good stuff tho, Bob.

Michael Jaynes

Mar 30, 2010
Good to know. I enjoyed the first one, albeit a bit guiltily, but it's nice to know that my concerns about this sequel seem to be pretty valid.

By the way, I don't understand the Saw 3d trailers. Those scenes of people being clamped into the chair in the movie theater and the shit bursting through the screen - is that supposed to be part of the film, or are they just extremely over the top dramatizations of what 3D DOES TO YOUR MIND!!!!?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, its about what I expected - But hopefully can still provide a lil bit f fun

Eumersian

Posting in the wrong thread.
Sep 3, 2009
I always expect sequels to horror films to be really boring. It's because of basically what Bob said:

1. For it to be a proper sequel it has to be kind of in the same vein as the original.
2. Because of this, watchers of the first one will basically know what goes on, because straying too much won't have the kind of connection necessary for a proper sequel.

I've seen a few horror movies, and they were OK. But Paranormal Activity sounded to me like a cheap attempt at putting horror in an uncomfortably familiar place (an average family home). The thing about horror is that when you're scared once, it's done. The deed is done. That thing probably doesn't scare you much any more. To make a good horror movie, you have to do something a bit different, so that people will actually be surprised and thus, frightened.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
good review as always, i kinda figured it wasn't gonna be as good, due to the 'horror movie prt 2' bit though

though loved the NES shout out at the end best, no worrys Bob some of use have not forgotten that beautiful grey brick that made gaming what it is today

JoshTheater

LRR Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2009
I was actually surprised you enjoyed the first one, MovieBob. You said something in this review about the fact that the demon can throw people being spoiled by having seen the first movie, but it was already spoiled for the first movie too, FROM THE COMMERCIALS. If you saw ANY of the commercials for the first movie, you saw the guy getting thrown at the camera, which was pretty much the "jump-out-of-your-seat" moment the entire movie was building to. It was the only part of the movie that had even any potential to be scary, and they completely ruined it by showcasing that exact shot in all of the commercials. How that didn't ruin the first movie for you, MovieBob, I don't know, but it sure as hell did for me.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
THEAFRONINJA said:
Good review. I wasn't expecting it to be good. Y'know, because the first one was one less scary than an episode of Goosebumps.
Hey, don't joke about Goosebumps! That stuff still scares my cat.

OT: I'm not really into horror anyway. Still, this looks horrible. Its popularity however may end up with a third move being put out there. Probably in 3D. Probably even worse. Yup, no money of mine is going towards this.

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
Well my girlfriend is gonna hate this...not the movie, just the fact that now I kind of wanna skip it.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Your life was saved by the Nintendo R.O.B? That sounds like it should be its own video of Game Overthinker...