Escape to the Movies: Paranormal Activity 2

RTK1576

Aug 4, 2009
Not terribly surprised at PA's sequel being a lesser copy. I enjoyed PA (yes, Micah is a complete idiot, but he somehow comes off a realistic complete idiot, IMHO) and I figured that any follow-up would rehash the original and ruin the suspense. The best sequels I've seen to horror movies have been the ones that use the first movie as background but then go off into new territory. See Alien and Aliens (but not the rest). "More of the same" works for action flicks (sometimes), but not for horror.

Will probably give this a look on Netflix, but that's about it. Good review, Bob.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
I think they could have set it in a hospital, something with security cameras. And in the final part people get locked in, something like that.

Mullahgrrl

Apr 20, 2008
zipzod said:
Did anyone else not know that this movie existed?
I saw the review for the first one but it didn't run here.

Maybe they will show it if this one is a hit, but I doubt it.

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
Fair points, but I'm still going to see it.

After all, there's a difference between something being 'good' and something being 'entertaining'. And being IN the cinema among friends and family and strangers in the dark, will probably amplify the scares, even more so than my pansy self would normally.

Also, I feel I have to mention that I cringe every time I read comments along the lines of 'Right! He said it wasn't that great! I shall never see his movie and pretend it never existed!'

People, Moviebob is just ONE guy! His thoughts are worth merit, but he is still just one person, with his own thoughts and preferences. If you MUST be utter sheep and base what media you consume purely on what other people think, at LEAST judge things on an average, via stuff like Metacritic or Rotten Tomatoes.

dfcrackhead

Apr 14, 2009
SAW 3D??!!!?!?!?! I HAVE RAGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEEE....

Now that that is over with, I never saw the first one, but it doesn't surprise me the sequel was ruined

jamradar

Sep 13, 2010
I was hoping that this one would be good. Seeing as I couldn't be scared by the first movie even if I tried to be, but oh'well.

Testsubject909

Jan 18, 2010
When will hollywood learn... probably never, considering that they're being led by short term profit gain and ideals as opposed to long term profit as well as a rather curiously ill view of how to pander to their market, trying to min/max spending and profit with unrealistic expectations.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I'll be seeing it anyway, but I wasn't expecting much to begin with and now I'm expecting even less. Here's hoping it's still good, rather than average/passable or worse.

Thanks for the Nintendo shout-out. I first played that thing just before my third birthday and still enjoy the classics today.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Angelus SnV said:
Um....i liked Blair Witch 2 more than th'first one....i dunno, i'm just not a fan of the whole "shaky camera to show fear" thing, it damn near gave me motion sickness...and the end wasn't exactly "scary"...

i also liked (what i've seen so far) all the saw films....i guess i'm just the minority (i've only seen I-V btw...haven't gotten ahold of VI, but hopin' to before i see 3D)....

so...yeah...
It's okay dude. Your just an anomaly. I haven't seen either movies but I remember a long long time ago when scooby doo did a parody of the blair witch movie for a scooby doo marathon.

floobie

Sep 10, 2010
Well, if it's anything like the first one, it's bound to be a piece of crap. I count that as one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It wasn't scary at all. There was the occasional startle, but... being startled is not the same thing as being scared. I just couldn't take it seriously. I actively disliked both of the characters. One was whiney and annoying, the other was just a stereotypical "stupid, cocky boyfriend". The decisions they both made were completely unrelatable, making the entire situation just seem funny. So, when you're sort of cheering for the "demon" or whatever to own them, the movie has completely failed.

Though, to be fair, I hate horror movies. What some term "supernatural thrillers", like the Shining, or Rosemary's Baby... different story.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
i saw it last night. was disappointed. some of the scenes in the trailer weren't in the film

aithilin

Jul 4, 2009
I think this is the first review that I actually agree with. The excess of visual information for a "bump in the night" story really took me out of the horror element. The pacing was ruined and the only decent thing taken away from it was the overarching dramatic narrative that was pushed to the background.

Still a good way to waste an afternoon off work, though.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
The issue I always have is people do not behave like normal in these. In the first film they went way past the point I would have said "screw this, someone is messing with me or there is a demon about, either way, I'm out" and stayed. I had zero sympathy and was thinking just kill these idiots and give them a Darwin award.

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
Just put in a dead/undead/ghost/demon/etc. teenager to early 20's girl, and it'll be crap your pants scary. Why is this not a rule of thumb for all horror movies?

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
Pirate Kitty said:
99% of audiences don't understand what good horror is. Most people see some spooky moments and poorly lit scenes as scary. Pathetic.

Horror;

"1
a : painful and intense fear, dread, or dismay <astonishment giving place to horror on the faces of the people about me ? H. G. Wells>
b : intense aversion or repugnance
a : the quality of inspiring horror : repulsive, horrible, or dismal quality or character <contemplating the horror of their lives ? Liam O'Flaherty>
b : something that inspires horror
plural : a state of extreme depression or apprehension"
Can you elaborate? All I see horror doing usually is rely on the old show something gross or kinda scary randomly with some loud music at that moment, and all I really get is surprised. How is that horror? I can have anyone hide and pop out at me for free and get the same sensation. (Not what I'm saying your definition of horror was, just what I usually see.)