Escape to the Movies: Paranormal Activity 2

azurawolf

Apr 27, 2009
Paranormal Activity 1 wasn't scary at all. I was so upset when it was over.
I jumped once and it was at the end during the throwing-people-thing.

But I was so disappointed when I saw Paranormal Activity 2 was coming out.
I am waiting for it to go to the dollar theater before I see it.
I am not paying 8 bucks for a piece of shit movie again.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
Tormuse said:
Saw it earlier tonight.

It wasn't the best horror movie I've seen, but to call it a "lame cash-in" seems unfair to me. I mean, arguably, it's a lot of the same kind of scares they use in the first film, but it still had enough substance to keep me interested and (at least some of) my friends I saw it with too. Obviously, if you didn't like the first one you definitely don't want to see this one. Otherwise, I wouldn't completely rule it out. Yes, the audience collectively laughed at a lot of the scares, but it never stopped being fun. (at least for me)
Pretty much on this boat too.

Sidenote, I think MovieBob is way overreacting to the depictions of devout latino stereotype. She's hardly in it anyways. Besides if the stereotype was as prominent as he makes it to be you would think StateMaster [http://www.statemaster.com/encyclopedia/Stereotypes-of-Latinos] would've made effort studying it by now, as such nobody [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereotypes_of_Hispanics] seems to be researching or documenting it.

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
Right. I've now seen it. And I stick with my opinion.

MovieBob, I think you've been too harsh. This film was great, or at the very least NOT 'a lame cash in'. Okay it's not as good as the first, but that's only because there WAS a first.

I heartily recommend this movie to anyone, although perhaps you should watch the first one first. You might love it, you might hate it, it's just that sort of movie. But you should DEFINITELY watch it.

Talon_Skywarp

Aug 2, 2010
Did people actually get scared by the first?

I'll break it down

Two prats in a house. Doing sod all.
Go to bed
Time speeds up...Scary thing wooooo booooooo wigggle wiggle
Prats wake up, prat around.
Go to bed
Time speeds up....Scary thing wooo booooo wiggle wiggle girl on a swing.
Repeat til you die of boredom

Worst film I have ever seen in my life. Its worst than a Tim Burton film.

OHHHHHH FOOT PRINT!

nothri

Mar 10, 2010
Wow. This movie was 98% prequel and 2% sequel. The prequel has got nothing on the original, but it was okay. Not great by any means, but okay. The sequel portion? Holy balls I have never seen a movie just utterly FAIL in such a short amount of time....the only thing that comes close is Darth Vader's NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Murriness

Jul 10, 2008
While I agree that the sequel took out tension by putting in an explanation of why the events of the first movie were happening, I can honestly say I had more fun at Paranormal Activity 2 then I did at the first one.

The first was boring as hell till the very end. At one point I took out my phone and began playing a game while waiting out all of the nothing for the small bits and pieces of shock value to happen.(And I had vowed I wouldn't waste money on buying the DVD but those bastards at rifftrax had to make fun of it and I have no self control when it comes to riffing)

Seeing the sequel however was much more interesting and actually held my attention. I felt more sympathy for the characters in this movie (especially the dog) and the audience comments and reactions made it all worthwhile for me. Definitely one of those movies you need to see with an audience. My only hope now is that this one gets a rifftrax as well.

sheogoraththemad

Feb 6, 2010
thank you bob, thank you so much for warning me to not see this movie with my friends in the cinema. instead I watched Watchmen again, that movie reminds me every time that people still can make a good movie. and for the last time thank you....

Dragunai

Feb 5, 2007
I kinda agree with him, the Indy horrors can be really good but again they should be 1 hit and move on not a milking parlour like the saw movies have become.

A good example of this is the McPherson Tape. It was a single movie (as far as im aware) and shot entirely from the perspective of the youngest brother with his cam corder during an alien abduction.

I dont flich during horror movies, havent in the last 8 years or so but the McPhearson tape put enough chill into my blood to freeze my spine in place. Its because it looked so amature that it become believable and when you caught glimpses of the aliens getting into the house or heard noises in the dark you had to literally clench your ass to avoid needing new shorts.

Indy horror is actually the only real horror left these days because most of them such as the new freddy and saw movies focus so much on big production credits and over the top stories with VERY predictable directions (I SAID DONT GO IN THERE!) that they are boring and not worth watching.

Another good example was the original REC movie. An underground spanish horror that made me sit and think "Oh dude! RUN *****!" whenever I saw one of the rabid humans surface. A truely scary movie that later got renamed and remade into Quarantine. The remake wasn't anywhere as good as the original (the spanish lead actress was miles hotter than the american chick) and the whole atmosphere of the original was alot thicker and more intense.

So I gotta agree with Bob on this one. I love america but I hate Hollywoods need to take small cult indy movies and pump $10,000,000 into them to bring up the cinematic value and to put in some totally lucious woman who was clearly cast to get men into the seats of the movie house.

These movies work well BECAUSE they are low budget and amaturish not in spite of it.

sicsfo

Jun 9, 2009
I'm pretty disappointed by this review. I saw the midnight launch and really expected good remarks for few reasons. The first Paranormal was completely lacking in depth, but the sequel actually gives context to why the events are happening. The way it explained and tied in the events of the first movie was brilliantly seamless and worked really well.

Let's be honest, we don't go to horror movies to stick our noses in the air and critique the character arcs or significance of the subplots. We go to be scared. Whether it is from disturbing imagery or loud noise from the silence, whatever startles, frightens, or terrifies you is what you go for and Paranormal 2 delivers.

Frankly, I can't understand how anyone would call the end of this movie boring. The notion that the events leading to and occurring in the last 15 minutes are somehow dull or uninteresting is unmistakable proof that MovieBob is, in fact, a robot.

CINN4M0N

Jan 31, 2010
Huh, I went and saw it, and I kinda enjoyed it. I had some mixed feelings about it, but ultimately I liked it. The interesting thing about that though, is that I never saw the first one. I never even saw the trailer. That's pretty sheltered right? But it meant that for me, Paranormal Activity 2 was the first I had seen of the franchise, and I was unaware of what was potentially possible. The story stands on it's own without the prior knowledge of the first one, and under those circumstances it was a pretty good movie. I bet, though, that if I watched the first one, I'd have the same reaction as everyone else watching the second.