Escape to the Movies: Paranormal Activity

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Nice review, and its good to know at least 1 movie can pull off the pretend documentation stuff without looking crap. But I'm not going to see it. Primarily because I dislike all horror movies and don't enjoy watching them.

Talendra

Hail, Ilpalazzo!
Jan 26, 2009
Proteus214 said:
I saw this a few nights ago and I haven't been able to sleep since. Not going to dress this up: it was fucking scary.
Ok I better not see it then, I turned the lights on just for this review, I am such a whimp.
Loved the boo though.

hungoverbear

Mar 8, 2008
I watched this movie last night and i did not sleep at all! Great review Bob, hopefully now Hollywood will realize that copious amounts of gore does not equal a scary movie.

SoulChaserJ

Sep 21, 2009
Meh, I saw the movie and appreciate Bob's critique more than I enjoyed the movie.. This flick could have been a sci-fi(Sorry syfy) movie or a special episode of "Ghost Hunters". Bottom line is that it was boring

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The problem is that these movies try to not be movies and ultimately end up shooting themselves in the foot.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Problem is, the theatre companies here are extreme douches who only show the mainstreams stuff, even when it is BS (they kept Transformers 2 on for 3 months) and, as I have stated before, being in a francophone community means that they show them only in french D:<

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Despite the glowing reviews, I still hate this and wont see it.

Yeah it's blind hate, but at least I acknowledge it.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Dark Templar said:
These reviews are quickly becoming my favorite part of the escapist. Good job.\

I might go see this.

BTW, I'm American and I think Saw stinks.
Pretty much my thoughts, except:

Has been one of my favorite clips on The Escapist since they started running weekly - keep up the good work!

I saw Drag Me To Hell because of your recommendation and wasn't disappointed (same with District 9!) so I guess I'm going to see this now - wasn't expecting it to actually be good.

I'm also America, and I simply don't give a flying fuck about Saw. I saw the first one in a cut-rate theater and while it made me cringe once in a while, I just couldn't get past the hokey acting. Considering how flacid Snow White was, I don't plan on patronizing the seven dwarves (they're up to saw six, I'm sure they'll make it to eight)

Haunted Serenity

Jul 18, 2009
Armored Prayer said:
That Boo in the intro actually scared me.

And I agree, Saw is bad and must stop.
agree and agree. The bloody freaking Boo was just like AUGH!

Saw must stop and i want to see this movie it looks...good?

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Well, the bubble has gotta be burst. There is no way this will outperform Saw at the Box-office. That is wishful thinking at its most egregious. Kinda like that one guy a little while ago who said that if his game out sold Madden 10 he would give his game away for free. Wishful thinking...

Anyway, I'll probably go see this, but only when it hits the cheap theaters so I'll only be adding $2.00 to the total box-office receipts either slightly before or just after it's released on DVD.

Frankydee

Mar 25, 2009
I may just have to see this one.

Right on spot with Saw too btw, I thought it got bland after part 3.

Feb 13, 2008
This is one of the few movies I'm actually pondering about seeing.

G.I.Joe/Surrogates/District 9/Zombieland/Inglorious Bastards I loved and would have seen anyway.

Megan's Body, or whatever that trash was, can rot.

Paranormal Activity though...I just don't know. I like my horror visceral nihlisitic and Most Haunted has almost put me off cam-corder films for life.

Perhaps...

Cirque De Freak next time?

lior13

Jul 21, 2009
what the hell is going on.
the past 5 movie Reviewes where all recommended

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
Eh, I'm not a horror fan.

To me all horror amounts to is trying to make the audience flinch and scream pathetically at something. A horror movie is GOOD if it does be overt but doesn't lack. Its all about the balance, which is what Saw and Final Destination get oh so wrong. It also is good if it can get into your head, which is what this movie did. Though I'm not a horror fa, I am that much more nervous of those odd bumps and creaks in my house.

J-Alfred

Jul 28, 2009
Thanks for that bit at the end, Bob. Saw hasn't been good for a while now, and yet all my friends can talk about here at school is seeing Saw on the 31st. And that just bugs me.

By the way, totally off-topic (I don't know if you read your comments), but, when adressing you, do you prefer to be called Bob or MovieBob? Just curious.

Thanks for another great review. See you next week.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
J-Alfred said:
By the way, totally off-topic (I don't know if you read your comments), but, when adressing you, do you prefer to be called Bob or MovieBob? Just curious.
Either one works, I'm not picky.

felicia_angel

Oct 23, 2009
I agree on the "Saw" thing...one or two is good, three or four is pushing it, but SIX? I recently saw only SOME of Saw V and I disliked it, though I enjoyed what I saw of the first one.

and now I think I know what I'll go see as far as a scary movie...if I can convince my friend to go as well...

HawtCakez

Aug 20, 2009
Thanks MovieBob for the heads up but I'm already on this. I just saw Paranormal Activity two days ago and I still have chills from the many scenes of the film. Also, much to the great dismay of others, I'm planning on seeing Saw VI tomorrow. I know, it's a really bad idea, but I've been a fan of the franchise ever since and I pathetically hold out for the notion that the series might strike some form of gold again. Well, then again, I could settle for silver or maybe bronze. Still, I promise if it turns out that Jigsaw has come back to life in some way shape or form, I am going walk out of the theater. You can quote me on that. Once again, you've done a great job.