Escape to the Movies: Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
So I saw the movie Girlfriends rock fo' life, and if there's anything I'm disappointed in, it's how this review was tackled.

I laughed, she laughed, scenes weren't as bad as mentioned, movie didn't drag any harder than Number 3, and there were some genuinely good parts of the movie...minus my first experience with 3D. ' -' I'd like to think I'm far more jaded than Bob when it comes to my media (especially gaming), but I think I need to also add that I am apparently more fair than he is too. I'd at least give it a recommendation for a select few, rather than condemn it to Hell. ' -'

thesdbux

Sep 9, 2009
I have been reading the reviews to see what others think in regards to what Bob thinks and then sum that up against what I think.

1. Did I like the movie? = Sure, wasn't the greatest but I would say it was a 6. Could of been a lot worse.
2. Do I think other people should see it? Sure.
3. Do I think there should be another movie? No.

Bob on a lot of your reviews I would agree on, but this I feel you were trying to push to much of your personal views and make others avoid it completely because of that. Saying people should not see it so studios get a hint not to make another is not going to work.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
Considering how much Bob railed on it, I actually enjoyed it a lot. It wasn't a bad movie by any means. The whole deal with the priest was very forced (as was mentioned in the review), but other than that, Jack Sparrow worked fine for me as a main character.

But then again, I also liked the Transformers movies a lot. Maybe my opinion is just invalid.

May 5, 2010
r_Chance said:
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Ugh, I really don't want to see this movie, but I've been outvoted by my friends. Would've seen Thor, but noooo, one of my friends just HAD to see it with a date last week....

Gaaaaaahhh.....I don't want to see this movie....
It's not that bad. Average movie with some fun parts (my kids drug me to it). Movie Bob is just having a "crtic's moment". I think they sometimes forget why regular people go to movies and get too wound up in the technical aspects of the film. So, go, enjoy it. Then see Thor.
You're right, I was pleasantly surprised. In fact, I agree with you 100%. I've really gotta remember that Moviebob is not the world's most reliable critic in my experience.

SandroTheMaster

Apr 2, 2009
Even though you were more than a bit unfair to Fast 5 (most awesome stunts Hollywood had the balls to make in some years), I'm inclined to agre...

Wait a second, did Movie Bob just say, and I quote: "How much non-returning players like (...) Keira Knightley (...) brought to the originals."

Ok, Movie Bob... if anyone has lost goodwill towards anything it was me towards you. Keira Knightley was the worst thing on all Pirates of the Caribbean movies and her "freedom speech" on the third movie could single-handed sink even Citizen Kane. Good gods!

Monique Pihl

Apr 7, 2010
huh? they made another one? good lord, disney is milking that dead horse...er I mean flogging that cow, um. . . you know what I mean.

TheEndlessSleep

Sep 1, 2010
Why is it that Bob seemingly has preemptive bias towards a lot of the movies that he hates? He needs to keep a more open mind to stuff until he's seen it and is in a position to judge.

Also, the problem with movie critics in general (not just Bob) is that they tend to overanalyse to the point that they are not longer enjoying the movie, but rather purely trying to point out what sucks about it.

The result of this is often inacurate, overly negative reviews (such as this one).

I hate to remind you of your job, Mr Chipman, but you are supposed to be giving us the facts and allowing us to form a judgement, not just pushing your opinions on us.

thirion1850

Aug 13, 2008
Why was Memoirs of a Geisha there as a movie 'not worth watching'? Bob, your tastes have now been questioned.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
thisbymaster said:
I didn't know they had changed directors, I wish they had kept the one from the first three.
Agreed.

I watched it. Enjoyed myself, but I have to say its the weakest of the 4 movies by far. The plot was simply too...hurried. There was no build-up of any sort they just blasted through the movie.

I was also shocked to find myself missing Orlando and Kiera (or however you spell it). While pretty dull characters they are the perfect counterbalance to Jack. He didnt have a counterbalance this time around and it showed.

Blackbeard was also underwhelming as a bad guy. He was nothing compared to Davy Jones.

Nonetheless it was a decent movie, and I will watch more sequels if made. There are really no alternative pirate movies anyway.

Thy Doctor

Nov 5, 2010
Honestly I think its better than the third... I walked out the theater surprised by how much I liked it. I thought it was going to be horrible but honestly I can say if they make another one I'll be in line. This movie seriously isnt that bad, it just isnt great.

Encurtidos

May 1, 2011
I think MovieBob was a bad overview of the movie!! I enjoyed the movie thoroughly and if I wanted to analyze something that much I will go to work or school. The movie is unrelated to the first 3 and its like a new series. It was an entertaning movie!

Morayman

Oct 3, 2007
Ape* You're going to see an ape fighting a helicopter. It's only a monkey if it has a prehensile tail, it's like calling humans a monkey.

Mxrz

Jul 12, 2010
All the things you said you hated about the movie, makes me want to see it. Acting like the 2nd and 3rd movie never happened is a GOOD thing. They were horrible and had very little to do with pirates. This hopefully taps into that a bit more.

Falke

Jul 20, 2010
firetamer13 said:
Bob, you seem to be sliding deeper in my opinion.
I got to second that. Taking out the people who did the "boring stuff" was not bad. I got enough boring stuff in my life. I thought the movie looked gorgeous and while I admit it did nothing new it did what I realy wanted. Deliver more of what I had liked. Demanding that it would be spectucularly different is just a critic's view. That way no TV series could ever be made. Sometimes you just want to see more of what you like.

krazykraig

May 24, 2011
this film had some laughts but as bob said they focused to much on sparrow and he loss the charm, only at the end does he seem to play himself as he did in the first film, bit on the cray side, well heres looking to the next pirates....

Thatguyky

May 23, 2011
I really enjoyed the movie. I don't think it was quite as good as the first one, but definitely as good as the second. This review makes it sound like just absolutely terrible and has nothing good about it. Johnny Depp did fine throughout the film, and fulfilled his roll as the main character of the film just fine.

Trololo Punk

May 14, 2011
While defiantly not the worst (my money's on the 2nd one for that), still not worth seeing, I'd recommend going to see thor (again?).

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
How faithful is it to the source material? This one was based on a book, not created fresh off someone's brain-pan. If someone has read the book, maybe the enjoyability will go up? I know the only reason The Watchmen was enjoyable to me was because my brain could automatically fill in the plot holes with book.