Escape to the Movies: Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
For once we disagree... The Muppets looks guilty of everything you just accused OST (not Original Soundtrack) of being- a quick, dry cash-in living off the goodwill the previous good entries in a franchise made. They seriously can't even think of a better title then 'The Muppets'. Which was previewed when I watched OST yesterday.

(Spoilers)

Weakest of the Pirates movies yes, but still an interesting movie. I do agree with the idea that a straight man character like Will is needed for Jack to have full effect, and felt the clergyman was that, complete with the love interest. As for Barbossa, he was going through an obvious mirror of Jack's route in the first movie; ship stolen, humiliated, chasing sword stabbing-related revenge on the guy responsible no matter the cost, gets it at the end along with an awesome ship. He's always been partial to the 'Dragon' role, serving someone else but eager to back-stab them, I don't see any real changes to his character.

The Spanish really came out of nowhere in this movie, only having four scenes at most and seeming quite pointless overall. I think it might have made the movie tighter if they started out in Spain instead of the same old London, perhaps introducing a character as Barbossa's superior (or replacing his 2nd who's name I can't remember) who has secret orders to destroy the Fountain once they find it for the same reasons as before. Less hassle, fresh new locale. They also made such a big deal about Angelica's true heritage that I thought for sure she'd turn out to be a mermaid. Instead, Serena gains legs for no reason other than plot convenience. Considering the time she gets, it was odd we really didn't get the slightest hint of Mermaid motive. Are they all just vicious predators or what?

Needs more Pintel and Ragetti. And Cotton's Parrot.

MDR_LOz

Dec 27, 2010
Brutuz said:
I just watched this film, while I can see how it is a cash-in film designed to cater to the popularity of the franchise...I have to disagree with MovieBobs comments on it.

Blackbeard had no powers, his sword did...And Brabosa said something to the effect of Blackbeards swords powers only working near the Queen Anne's Revenge. Not only that, but the priest was there for the mermaid simply because she played a big part, if he hadn't befriended her and showed her that all humans aren't bad then (Spoilers here) she wouldn't have given Jack the chalices and saved Angelica's life.
Im glad someone else noticed this thing about black beards magic powers. I watch movie bob each week and mostly agree/respect his opinions. However the fact he completely seemed to miss this point even though they made mentions to it (like barbosa mentioning distance to ship to powers) makes me think he didn't really listen. It is even gone over at the end with barbosa gaining control of the ships powers. Pretty obvious

This film isn't great. But there are plenty of other plot hole to poke in rather then make up ones that aren't true.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
I wish I could say otherwise, but I agree with Bob.

The only point I would argue is his comment about Barbosa being a completely different character. He seems that way at first, but the longer you spend with him the more you realize he hasn't changed as much as you thought.

Other than that? Yeah, the movie was bad. Not Horrible, but not worthy of the first three.

The writers really don't get what made Jack an interesting character. I don't think Bob really got it either, though. What made Jack interesting was the fact that throughout the entire first trilogy you had no idea if he was a good guy or not. Sure, he had that moment in #2, but when you meet him again in #3 it's clear that his ordeal has reshuffled his priorities and not for the best. In Stranger Tides, he's just a good guy and there is not tension there at all. You just know he's going to do the right thing in the end.

Also, he was much too competent in this movie. Part of the fun of his cunning plans/actions/heroics/etc, was that you were never sure if he did it on purpose. This is even said outright at one point ("Do you think he plans it all out, or just makes it up as he goes along?"). In Stranger Tides, Jack is basically God. He always knows what to do, and he's (almost) always successful.

Lastly, since I know you didn't come here for my review, there are two many plot threads that are underdeveloped. Bob mentioned this. The mermaid, the zombies, the voodoo doll, the ship, none of it is explained, and none of it is developed. Cruz's character has no personality. The movie in general has no personality, and the loss of Verbinski is very tangible. Abysmal directing.

The only saving grace is that Jack (and a very small number of others) do have some funny moments. Sadly, they're not worth watching the entire movie for.

SatyricSaint

Jun 3, 2011
About the only thing I can agree with you about on your review was 1. the unexplained powers of Blackbeard just leaves you going "bwah?" and the relationship between the preacher and mermaid just leaves you flat on your face at the end thinking "but Wtf!?" other than that I rather enjoyed the movie it was just as Jack Sparrowish as I expected it to be and how many movies can you honestly watch where they stereo type some one and you don't go "Oh I see what you did there because its been done before", that still doesn't make it any less funny when a character of Spanish origins starts jabbering in Spanish when upset. I think you are delving into realms that most critics seems to get into as they get older, your overly critical because nothing is new to you as you've seen this all done before. Face it you can only make so many new stories before they become the same ol same ol.

J1NXY0

Nov 23, 2009
To be honest, I don't really care that the critics say this film is so bad, I actually kind of enjoyed it. Yes, it was as if they had too many ideas crammed into one film AND still not enough time to go into depth - they should have stuck to something more simple, that's what works well in films usually. Also, it sucked that the lighting was poor so I had to strain to see the characters, but I've seen worse films and I thought the mermaids were pretty cool :).
However, the best thing that came out of this film is the music, Rodrigo y Gabriela are amazing Spanish guitarists, I'm so happy that they've got themselves out there and will finally have their talent recognised!

Nenad

Mar 16, 2009
Rotting Corpse said:
The movie cost roughly $200 Million to make. Johnny Depp also takes Schwarzenegger's crown for most money paid to one actor for one movie. Schwarzenegger got $30 million for Terminator 3 and Johnny Depp got $55.5 million for this.
The first Star Wars movies was a fifth of that D:

Nenad

Mar 16, 2009
Shintsu2 said:
Not the best conveyed message, but a good message, I think. I would also just want to point out that the critics' job is to criticize and directors' job to direct, otherwise there's truth to your words Shintsu2, when you cut out the hate and all.

MovieBob, you could be a little less dramatic, it wasn't a good movie, but you don't have to say it in such a hate-filled crazy-talk, eh? How about some constructive criticism? I'm a little late to this topic, but I hope you'll read this, I'm just trying to help :)

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
I fell for it.

You know I enjoyed it for what is was, another rollicking adventure of Captain Jack Sparrow's, though, only up to a point. MovieBob really nailed it in his observation that without the more "straight-man" characters of Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightly, this movie just doesn't work. I knew upon exiting the cinema that something was off about this film but I just couldn't put my finger on it and Bob pretty much summed it up with that criticism.

There was simply too much Jack Sparrow and too much of his peculiar idiosyncrasies that by the end of the film, most of his eccentricities were wearing a little thin. As Bob rightly points out, you need those more "serious" characters in the film to accentuate the wackiness of this 'goofball' and to give an audience some relatable person(s) to latch onto. I think, fundamentally speaking, that's what this film is lacking and is why I didn't really enjoy it as much as I would have liked.

Thankfully, I'm world-weary enough that I was sceptical of this film from the beginning. I wasn't anticipating it with any great amount of excitement and or trepidation, it was more just, there. Saying that, it wasn't a huge disappointment because whilst I really enjoy the pirate films, it's not a franchise I'm overly concerned or interested in. As for some of your other criticism's, I didn't think Barbossa was a different character at all, it's pretty clear he's just playing the part of the King's privateer for his own insidious ends, which is very much akin to his character in the previous three films. However, you're right, Jack seems unaffected by everything that went on in the previous films and that does annoy me.

As for the acting, Geoffrey Rush was great and the best scenes were those that involved both him and Jack. The rest, nothing noteworthy, though Cruz and Depp did make a good couple (even if she is a stereotype). Overall though, I felt the first half was very sluggish and long-winded and much could have been sheared off to keep the running time of this film down. It got half-decent from when the mermaids showed up but by then I just didn't care all that much about the characters and there fates and Verbinski's directional absence is a very noticeable one.

Still, the very ending with Jack and Angelica as he so slyly and cockily responds to her declaration of "I love you" with "So do I, love" was a great moment. Shame the rest was rather sub-par.

SemiHumanTarget

Apr 4, 2011
Hey, one good thing came out of this: The Tim Powers book, which the movie gets its subtitle and a handful of plot points from, is now going to be reprinted AND made available on Kindle.

For all who were disappointed in this movie, go read the book right away. It is freakin' brilliant.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
hell i think this movie rocks. i disagree with almost everything you said, i found it fun and not bordering annoying in anyway.
yes i will say it isnt as good as one but its still damn good.