Escape to the Movies: Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

brendonnelly

Aug 11, 2009
JWRosser said:
See, I actually quite enjoyed it. It's not as good as the first film, but I think maybe better than the second and third. Each to their own I guess, but I wouldn't call it a bad film!
Exactly my thoughts.

Beliyal

Big Stupid Jellyfish
Jun 7, 2010
I watched the movie yesterday, before watching the review, and while I agree with Bob in most things he said about it, it was still a fun movie. Predictable, over the top and an obvious money grab because of the beloved character from a beloved franchise, but fun nonetheless. The entire audience was enjoying it too, it was funny and exaggerated, but which Pirates movie isn't? I myself never liked Sparrow that much, but I can't deny that his character made the franchise possible (and for a good reason). While it wasn't anything extraordinarily good or sensible, it was still an enjoyable experience. The only thing that really bugs me still is the whole thing with the priest; they clearly said they need him, but it was never explained why. Unless it was because they knew he'll get the tear from the mermaid, which is ridiculous, but hey, I can get over it.

Pikey Mikey

Aug 24, 2010
I've seen it (my older sister wanted me to go and I didn't have to pay the ticket so what the hoo haa) and it was kind of "meh", some fun stuff, Barbossa wasn't really Barbossa (semi-mad undead captain from the first movie that we all like (we do like that Barbossa right?)), Blackbeard didn't really do much with his powers after they said "Blackbeard has these cool powers", I hated the priest (so annoying (in my opinion anyway)) and so forth. Didn't really expect better but I HOPED for better =(

Afternote: Part of (my) disappointment was the lack of shipbattles, I don't think there are any in the movie (A movie called PIRATES should have some shipbattles right?) Still, it was kind of enjoyable (it had it's moments)

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
So what I'm gathering is what I'd expected to happen with this review:

-Bob trashed the movie
-Said movie didn't come out nearly as bad
-Someone mentions credibility as a critic while mentioning putting up spoiler *after* saying said spoiler (Good show, Mr0llivand3r. I'll be sure to read your posts in the future~).

Yeah, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess "PotC4 isn't as good as the other three" and just that?

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
I disagree with Mr. Bob. It was alright. Not as good as any of the previous three which i may watch again tonight, but not atrociously bad. Maybe he is just hard to please, or maybe he is pulling a Yhatzee gambit. You know liking the quirky, the out there and the obscure (Like Up, which wasnt obscure but fits the first two critera) but slates the 'mainstream'. Dont read into that as though im condemning him into being a Yhatzee wannabe or anything but this review smacks of that gilded shit road.

Wulfclaw

Dec 20, 2009
MovieBob said:
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

Captain Jack's charm has worn off.

Watch Video
I liked the movie. Most if not all of the criticized plotpoints (Barbossa as Commander in the Navy, etc.) are explained and make then sense in the movie and i think it ties well in the storyline of the first 3 movies (though i only liked the first one, i saw them all at least one time on DVD). I saw Jack as a main character in the first movies (and legolas and the stick woman as supporting roles) so i liked the focus in this movie. I felt i saw a good adventure movie.

I look forward to a fifth movie.

P.S.: The cleric got hard on my nerves.

Edit: There is a reason why blackbeard only uses his powers rarely. It's not explicitly mentioned in the movie but

Blackbeard says: "You want to duel me while I wield my sword?"
Barbossa: "This far from your ship? You bet!"

And of course the last scene with barbossa on blackbeards ship, which explains pretty much the whole thing.

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
Problem is Jack Sparrow is the storyline of the series. Well not really it's more like everything revolves around him.

Curse of the Black Pearl: His Crew, His Ship (technically), and his treasure that he found that got them cursed in the first place. He just so happens to run in to the guy and gal who hold the last piece of the curse treasure and stuff ensues. Barbossa being the primary antagonist hell bent on treasure searching etc. marooning Jack, mutinee...etc.

Dead Man's Chest: Worked for Becket until transporting slaves then went pirate and eventually made deal with Davy Jone's and is now trying to avoid it. Once again runs into guy and gal who have been tangled up in mess stuff ensues.

At World's End: Tying up the loose ends between Becket's character and Davy Jone's in general and just finishing up, with what are now seeming more like secondary character than main, Turner and Swann. Has his mind set on immortality but can't become Captain of the Fly Dutchman so he goes searching for the Fountain of Youth

On Stranger Tides: Goes looking for said fountain, ends up having to spring Gibbs from Jail. Gets shangihad onto Blackbeard's ship. Meets woman from pass, finds fountain weird stuff goes down. Done.

I have to say while On Stranger Tides really lacked something from switch directors it sure as hell made more sense than Dead Man's or At World's. In fact in some cases it made more sense then Curse. I personally liked it. But meh, other than that like Dead Man's and At World's I'd only watch it once.

I'm going to go ahead and quote someone here: "It's a good movie, if you don't take it seriously."

May 5, 2010
Ugh, I really don't want to see this movie, but I've been outvoted by my friends. Would've seen Thor, but noooo, one of my friends just HAD to see it with a date last week....

Gaaaaaahhh.....I don't want to see this movie....

Jacob Haggarty

Sep 1, 2010
So, i DID see it, and although i was right in thinking it wouldnt be anything special, i didnt dislike it NEARLY as much as i thought i would.

I do agree that this seems to be a shameless money spinner, and that the addition of the priest character and evrything he does is just irrelavant and annoying, but over all, i wouldnt go NEAR to saying it sucked.

It was just a fun film, more akin to the first one than any others, not so steeped in mythology, but still has enough of the supernatural to make it distinctly Pirates. The new director seems to have captured quite well the feeling of the first three films, so you dont REALLY notice MUCH of the transition between directors. Jack Sparrow actually DOES work quite well as a lead character, because lets face it, he's been doing joint lead role from the very bloody start. To say otherwise just isn't true.

The acting is of the usual standard, that is to say, quite good, and characters work well together... apart from the priest fella. Thats not to say he was poorly acted, its just they REALLY did not need him. His sole purpose is to shoe-horn in some romantic sub-plot, that contributes very VERY little towards the actual story. Every second of him and his mermaid ***** is just annoying as all hell, and could be avoided at very little cost to the main story arc.

So yeah, i recomend you go and check it out. I wouldnt bother with 3D though. Although i saw it in 2D, there was only one instance that looked like it would be good with an extra dimension.

r_Chance

Dec 13, 2008
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Ugh, I really don't want to see this movie, but I've been outvoted by my friends. Would've seen Thor, but noooo, one of my friends just HAD to see it with a date last week....

Gaaaaaahhh.....I don't want to see this movie....
It's not that bad. Average movie with some fun parts (my kids drug me to it). Movie Bob is just having a "crtic's moment". I think they sometimes forget why regular people go to movies and get too wound up in the technical aspects of the film. So, go, enjoy it. Then see Thor.

Yvressian

Jul 19, 2008
I know that this is a minor detail in MovieBobs review, but it reminded me of a hypocrisy of most movie critics: If they make Penelope Cruz a stereotypical "temperamental latina chick" in a Pirates of the Carribean movie, it's idiotic, but when Woody Allen does it in Vicky Cristina Barcelona, he's a genius.

Just to be clear, I thought both movies were awful.

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
I rather enjoyed all three original films, as I was expected to suspend my belief of reality from the off with the first, so I kept that belief with the others.

And despite what Bob says, Jack Sparrow IS the main character. He tries to dodge around it, and does a good show of it too, but nothing would have happened in the films had Jack not shown up.

Elizabeth would've drowned, Will would've stayed as a Blacksmith, Barbossa would've attacked Port Royal to get the peace (see what I did there?) of Gold, and Davey Jones would've gone un-opposed and undefeated.

With Jack, Elizabeth lives to become Pirate King, Will becomes an Immortal Captain, Barbossa gets mortality back AND commands his ship happily, and the two main terrors of the sea (Jones and Calypso) are taken care of.

So I'm happy to go see this film, just to see the ever unfolding story of the main thread throughout the entire story ark.

firetamer13

Jun 8, 2010
Bob, you seem to be sliding deeper in my opinion.
I'll admit I'm slightly biased as I've always loved pirates and these movies are the only way to get my fix without resorting to bargain bin movies, but I could not disagree with you more.
Yes it doesn't make a lot of sense at times (the sequence at the palace will bug me forever) but it was fun, it didn't overreach itself (which seems to be something you hate, if your other reviews are any indication) and overall gives you a good time for your money.
Bonus: No obvious sequel indications! Even the one after the credits really doesn't have to be followed up on.

Fortesque

Jan 16, 2009
I saw it last night... only because I got 2 free tickets from work.

I was actually surprised I liked it. First movie was brilliant, 2nd and 3rd were ok at very best, so I had very little hopes for 4. But it was good enough. BUT STOP MAKING THEM NOW!! Its DONE!

I do agree about that priest guy, it was just sort of there and they made Jack seem very pathetic as a main character.... I did like the thing with Barbossa at the end tho.

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
Well drat. I love Tim Powers' On Stranger Tides book, so I had hopes this movie didn't suck. I still want to see it, but it's good to know how far distanced it is from the book.

WorldFree55

May 22, 2011
the only reason why i went to see it was because of Penelope Cruz...She was way too hot for me not to see the movie whether it of itself was good or bad :p