Escape to the Movies: Pompeii

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
God, as a person who studied Latin and has been to Rome, this movie just feels horrible.

If you want to make a movie of people in Pompeii (and nearby Herculaneum since that also got wiped out),their lives and how they reacted to a volcano(no science so they probably thought Vulcan was angry), focus on the little people: the artisans, the prostitutes (kind of a poor term since the politics surrounding them gave the women a lot of control)and the families who probably used the volcano's geothermal heat for the thermae. Focus on a small personal story about ordinary people living their lives normally before the volcano and looking back on their lives. Why did you have to make a story about a girl falling for a poor boy with competition from a rich suitor; it's been done to death and can be done at any location with any type of situation. Its just a waste of a concept and location.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
The acting sucks, because Paul W.S. Anderson is a bad director and Janet Scott Batchler, Lee Batchler, and Michael Robert Johnson wrote a shitty script. There's only so much an actor can do without help from behind the camera.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
Malisteen said:
That's a fine criticism and all, but it will really only carry any weight when Marvel Studios puts out a movie that doesn't primarily revolve around a white dude.
Luke Cage is getting a TV series, so I'm cautiously optimistic things will pick in that area.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Stargate reboot?

With Katy Perry?

imdb has nothing. The picture looks ridiculous. MovieBob, please tell me you're joking. Please.

EDIT: Oh thank God in Heaven, it's a joke. The pic is actually from Katy Perry's "Dark Horse" video.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Sorry, I know there was a review in there somewhere, but all my brain heard for the rest of it was "Ooga Ooga Ooga Chaka"...

... It'll probably be there until August.

Silverspetz

Aug 19, 2011
Malisteen said:
SnakeoilSage said:
This has been going around the internet lately.
That's a fine criticism and all, but it will really only carry any weight when Marvel Studios puts out a movie that doesn't primarily revolve around a white dude. There's supposedly a black widow movie in the works, so I'm hopeful there, but I'm a little confused why all the superhero film studios think only a white lead can carry their movie, given how significant the success of the Blade films was to helping the whole superhero film wave really get moving.
It carries plenty of weight already. DC hasn't made any movies that doesn't star a white dude as the man lead either last time I checked. At least Marvel has the balls to go big with weird shit like a talking raccoon and tree whereas DC is still struggling with the idea that WW is too "strange" for a live-action movie.

We could still stand to have more diversity in these movies though, I agree with that much. Personally though, I think we are a lot more likely to see a Captain Marvel movie or Black Panther movie before WW gets her own feature film.

Also, Roland Emmerich is rebooting the Stargate franchise with a new trilogy of movies? My inner nerd can't decide if that is the best idea ever or the worst idea ever.

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
C.S.Strowbridge said:
Malisteen said:
That's a fine criticism and all, but it will really only carry any weight when Marvel Studios puts out a movie that doesn't primarily revolve around a white dude.
Luke Cage is getting a TV series, so I'm cautiously optimistic things will pick in that area.
Because Marvel has a great track record at TV.

But really, I hope you are right. It's possible that with a tighter scope and a real Marvel character to hang the story on, the Luke Cage show won't suck. Please let it not suck.

FavouredEnemy

Oct 16, 2007
I thought it was a shame in the GotG bit, that MovieBob basically dismissed how kick-ass Gamora looked by instead just describing her as 'hot'.

Oh well :(

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
That's...that's not a real screen shot of the Stargate rebooot, right? I was never a huge fan, but I admit that the show had its charm and was well written. And the characters were hilarious. But that...that's a joke, right? That' can't be real. It's from one of her music videos or something, right?

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that Green Goblin looked dumb. At least in the other Spider-man he wore a helmet and his face was stuck that way.

Can't wait for Guardians of the Galaxy, nor can I wait for Bob's take on the movie.

Funny that the thing getting talked about most in the comments is the Stargate shot and not that terrible movie.

SquidVicious

Apr 20, 2011
Country
United States
I'm glad Bob mentioned how young the actors of the new Fantastic Four movie look. Seriously I'm half expecting them to be defending the mall from a young Victor Von Doom who wants to destroy it because it's taking business away from his parent's tiny toy shop.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
"A love story set between a volcanic eruption and violent gladiatorial games. It sounds awesome, but..."

No it doesn't even. It sounds like Titanic and/or Pearl Harbor set in ancient Rome. The best it could have hoped for was turning out closer to the former in terms of quality. Sounds like it failed.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
King Whurdler said:
Trishbot said:
Sorry, I know there was a review in there somewhere, but all my brain heard for the rest of it was "Ooga Ooga Ooga Chaka"...

... It'll probably be there until August.
It's Blue Swede's version of 'Hooked on a Feeling' in case you weren't aware.

OT: Nothing much to say really, other than the fact that I can't wait for 'Guardians of the Galaxy.' I have no history with the series, but it still looks pretty perfect... so far.
As someone who read the comics over the past decade, let me just say it like this:

If they can get it to match the tone of those comics, it is going to be absolutely mind-blowing. The Marvel "Annihilation" event and the rebooted "Guardians of the Galaxy" from it were EASILY the best material Marvel was putting out at that time.

They nailed the tone in the trailer. Like the comics, and the characters, the movie has to hit three beats: Weird, Funny, and Awesome. I think it's going to achieve that.

Grace_Omega

Dec 7, 2013
Frankly, I don't think Harrington is good in Game of Thrones either. He spends a lot of time making the exact same gormless face in response to everything.

All of the jokes in the Guardians of The Galaxy jokes in the trailer fell flat for me, but I'll probably go see it just because the raccoon looks awesome.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
Silverspetz said:
Also, Roland Emmerich is rebooting the Stargate franchise with a new trilogy of movies? My inner nerd can't decide if that is the best idea ever or the worst idea ever.
Problem is Rolland Emmerich's original movie was:
A. Really, really bad; even by scifi B-movie standards
B. Nothing even remotely similar to the tone/style of the 17 seasons of television the franchise put out.

Emmerich is on record as not liking the direction that the show took 'his' original concept. So, even if the movie does end up being good, it will almost certainly end up being a disappointment to hardcore fans.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Goliath100 said:
What is the difference between Spartacus (way better than Ben-Hur) the movie and Spartacus the TV-show?

And what was this about a Stargate reboot?
From what I recall of the handful of episodes of Spartacus I watched before I got bored (how do you make a show about Roman Gladiators and a Slave Revolt boring? Find out here!), it had way too much cheesy overacting, full-frontal male nudity, blood splashing everywhere, sex that was uncomfortable to watch, and overall tried too hard to rip off 300.
Izanagi009 said:
God, as a person who studied Latin and has been to Rome, this movie just feels horrible.

If you want to make a movie of people in Pompeii (and nearby Herculaneum since that also got wiped out),their lives and how they reacted to a volcano(no science so they probably thought Vulcan was angry), focus on the little people: the artisans, the prostitutes (kind of a poor term since the politics surrounding them gave the women a lot of control)and the families who probably used the volcano's geothermal heat for the thermae. Focus on a small personal story about ordinary people living their lives normally before the volcano and looking back on their lives. Why did you have to make a story about a girl falling for a poor boy with competition from a rich suitor; it's been done to death and can be done at any location with any type of situation. Its just a waste of a concept and location.
That already happened; it was a Doctor Who episode, "Fires of Pompeii". Fun fact: it had the actors who would later play Amy Pond and The Twelfth Doctor.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Yeah....

Pompeii was already destroyed about by an earthquake 17 years before the eruption of Vesuvius. So they were probably still rebuilding parts of it. Nice work on your history movie makers.
The people in Pompeii were killed by a pyroclastic flow that issued forth from the volcano when it erupted, which hit the city well before any rocks and lava. This is a wave of superheated air. It travels at about 450 miles per hour, reaches around the 1000 degrees C and can travel over water. Seems also that there is a kind of tsunami involved here too. This is wrong. A pyroclastic flow would have caused a tsunami, but in THE OTHER DIRECTION, due to it, after a certain distance travelling over the Med burrowing under water and causing the tsunami. Nice work on your history and physics movie makers.
Also Italy used to be a few miles wider in the old days. This is due to erosion. There is a palace from the time of Nero on the bottom of the Mediterranean due to this. So Pompeii would be larger and further away from the sea. So again, nice work on your history and geography movie makers.

Since I haven't seen the movie I cannot comment on their portrayal of Roman culture, but I can make a safe bet that they got that horribly wrong as well.

However there is one thing. Most marriages were arranged. This happened when most women were still little girls. Romans married girls when they were 12 or 13. So the female in the movie here should have been MUCH younger. Marriages were arranged when the girls were usually around 8 to 10.