Escape to the Movies: Prince of Persia

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Prince of Persia

This week MovieBob takes a look at Alad...errr...I mean Prince of Persia.

Watch Video

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
It's good enough for me if it didn't suck.

I'm still wondering about the new game, though...

As one of the few fans of both the SoT Trilogy and PoP 2008, I'm still on the fence with the new game...Especially since I actually kind of like 2008 more than the SoT Trilogy.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, it was as I expected...and, Aladdin...nothing wrong with that!

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Hmm. I admit I was expecting it to suck ass. Might check it out, for curiosity's sake.
Oh, and I liked the end of lost. Yup.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
You know, in response to all the "whitewashing" complaints, I have to say... get over it. They picked the actors they thought would be best in the roles, race or ethnicity be damned. They could have gotten a middle eastern actor to play the prince, yeah, but that doesn't mean he'd have been necessarily as good an actor in the role. I actually applaud the fact that they didn't focus solely on their appearance and went with acting talent instead. I mean, look at Michael Cera. He keeps getting cast as an awkward teenager because he looks like one, but he's not a good actor in those roles. The casting director picked the actors that would best carry the story of the movie, and that's the important thing.

EnigmaHarper

Jul 22, 2009
I honestly don't understand what everyone's deal is with "whitewashing." I think if you have an actor that is good in a role it shouldn't matter what color he is.

The bit about everyone having British accents, though, IS truly annoying.

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
Well, it's 'good' I guess.

Am I the only one who think this summer's movie line up look terrible? :(

Now that Iron Man 2 came out... it's all 'meh' stuff.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Hmm... I actually really wanna see this film again... For a while I thought it would be crap.

Not to sound like an angry fanboy but, the lost ending was good... Your account of it sounds like someone who didn't actually watch it but instead read the plot synopsis on wikipedia or something.

yellowhead

Nov 18, 2009
Yeah, the LOST ending was bullshit.

Anyway, i wanna see this movie, probably just to show Hollywood that there are people willing to pay for these movies. Just to show some support.

Resident Evil: Degeneration (The recent CGI one) was pretty good though.

Jun 26, 2009
well in the games everyone had a brit no wait POSH BRIT accent theres a differnce you know so realy the fact everyone wasn't realy persian is a nod to the video games.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
EnigmaHarper said:
I honestly don't understand what everyone's deal is with "whitewashing." I think if you have an actor that is good in a role it shouldn't matter what color he is.
It's about authenticity.
Some (silly) people might claim is has something to do with racism, but really: It's about authenticity.
Ancient Persia would have been populated by Persians, so have a Persian Cast makes it more believable. You can't say Slumdog Millionaire would have been nearly as good is the cast was all Asian. Or that any movie portraying the Yakuza as African guys would be believable. The point of a movie is to tell a story, and you grip people into a story with atmosphere. The proper ethnicity really helps that atmosphere.

It's not a deal breaker, mind you (Not for the sane, or people who have any inkling of an imagination), but it really does help the immersion of the tale unfolding on the big screen in front of you.

TheNoirGuy

Feb 24, 2008
The ban on whitewashing explained:

http://humblecomics.com/blog/index.php?entry=entry100524-195255

I disagree, I really doubt they have that cast because those were the best actors ever. I think those were the best actors who the biggest audience (Caucasian Americans) could identify with and that would draw the biggest numbers in(aka Jake Gyllenhal fan girls). But I'm not going to NOT see it for that reason alone. It looks pretty entertaining.

Also, I don't care what anyone says, I liked Mortal Kombat and the first Resident Evil movie. But none of the others :p

Also also, I kinda liked the lost ending, to a point, but I totally agree that it didn't answer any questions and it made all the cool stuff in the series not matter.

Elementlmage

Aug 14, 2009
I am honestly proud, after it is all said and done, that I have not watched ONE MINUTE of Lost. Seriously, that has got to be one of the biggest slaps in the face of all time.

Anyway, glad to see PoP worked out decently. I probably wont end up seeing it. I am not exactly too enthused about it. On a side note, I saw HTTYD for a 4 time this week xD!

Legend of J

Feb 28, 2010
I think this is problys the best review ive seen on pop...however i feel the movie wasent so great tbh i found it boring. But its porblys better than most of games into movies or other ways around.

(Except for spiderman 2).

DanielPowell33

Jun 9, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
It's good enough for me if it didn't suck.

I'm still wondering about the new game, though...

As one of the few fans of both the SoT Trilogy and PoP 2008, I'm still on the fence with the new game...Especially since I actually kind of like 2008 more than the SoT Trilogy.
I say rent it, its not worth buying, but it is worth playing. The combat is less in depth than the last two SoT Trilogy games, and actually feels more God of Warish. And you only get to use one weapon at a time. I never played PoP 2008.

OT: Glad to see it doesn't suck, I might go see it now.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Humbly requesting a desktop wallpaper of that badass mario / clooney picture halfway through.

please

MaraJade03

Jan 14, 2010
Yay!!! A good Game Movie, or just an all around good movie that's fun to watch. Can you really ask for much more? Either I'm happy and will be seeing it tonight or tomorrow morning.

Also the whole the "whitewashing" thing, how come the people who complain about it the most (loudest) seem to sound more racist the what their complaining about? I don't mean MovieBob, I mean the European descent guy I have to listen to at work so he can appear open minded or culturally enlighten? Is it me? Am I just not seeing/getting it?

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
xitel said:
You know, in response to all the "whitewashing" complaints, I have to say... get over it. They picked the actors they thought would be best in the roles, race or ethnicity be damned. They could have gotten a middle eastern actor to play the prince, yeah, but that doesn't mean he'd have been necessarily as good an actor in the role. I actually applaud the fact that they didn't focus solely on their appearance and went with acting talent instead. I mean, look at Michael Cera. He keeps getting cast as an awkward teenager because he looks like one, but he's not a good actor in those roles. The casting director picked the actors that would best carry the story of the movie, and that's the important thing.
^This.

We have actors that where good for the roles regardless of ethnicity. And it was a good movie, so shut up.

Subzerowings

May 1, 2009
Lost ended?
Yeah right....
Soon you'll probably see some lame commercial where every one is back on the island again (again).
I never watched Lost but I do hate series or movies that have a cop-out ending.

Great review as always but I don't think I'd go see it.
It looks like a generic summer-blockbuster and I'm really tired of those.