Escape to the Movies: Prince of Persia

Ragweed

Jan 18, 2008
So it doesn't suck? Well that's nice to know, I might go see when I have a free minute.

And agreed, it would've been nice to see some middle-eastern actors in the main roles, but I doubt it'll be too distracting. It's not exactly a character-orientated flim.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
For the last few weeks most of your reviews made me go WTF, Bob. It's baffling, I can't seem to stop disagreeing with you on the movies I actually went to see... I disliked Iron Man 2 for a number of reasons, I enjoyed Robin Hood (although I admit that it was a BIG surprise for me) and I thought Prince of Persia was pretty bad (even though the badness made me laugh quite often with the sheer hilarity of it, so I guess I kinda enjoyed myself here, too).

And since you won't stop shoving the "first good game movie" thing in our faces... it all comes down to personal taste, of course, but I think the Silent Hill movie would like a word and a subsequent punch-up with you.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
What aboot the Megaman movie? You didn't enjoy that? (Even with the awful CG at the end, it's a fanfilm so cut it slack for that)
Also; I think you missed the point of the Lost finale. We got to see Jack die. Something everyone wanted for 6 seasons.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Still not going to see it, but good to hear that it's at least half way decent.

By the way, this is not the first good videogame movie. That goes to Silent Hill.

And, I never have even seen Lost before, but to hear that it ends with a big group hug and a moral about friendship sounds like a complete cop out or Téa from Yu Gi Oh abridged rewrote the script :p

dehboy

Dec 21, 2009
Heh, HEEEEEERRRRRRREEEEEEE it comes. Someone should just start a thread (or maybe there is one already) about the ending of Lost. Not that you're asking for it, but here is my two cents.

1. If you didn't watch the show, please browse the following link: http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&tbs=isch:1&sa=1&q=your+argument+is+invalid&aq=0&aqi=g4&aql=&oq=your+argumen&gs_rfai= . I mean, do you want a cookie? That's like saying, oh shit, I didn't watch Gilmore Girls, but I heard the ending sucked, so I'm going to believe whatever I hear and argue for that point. Ok, so Lost wasn't for you - maybe you didn't get it. Fine, but no one cares to hear you argue some point that you heard from other people.

2. http://living.oneindia.in/kids/short-stories/2008/aesops-fables-please-everybody-200608.html . Everyone knows it is impossible to please everyone. You either liked the ending and took it for what it was worth, or you hated the ending and wanted it to be what you thought it should be. Sure, maybe it wasn't as strong of an ending as one might have hoped, but it wasn't your story to end. The writers had a vision, a storyline in mind, and they went with it. Their message might not have been the one you wanted to hear, but you have to applaud them on their creativity and storytelling to the end.

Coratto

Mar 26, 2010
Well, I'm enough of a fan to go see the midnight premiere and I do have to say I did look to my friend saying now we need a vendor that is really short with a big turban. "It will not break!" smacks it against the table, "it broke." but the ending wasn't that much of a disappointment. No its not going to be a pirates movie, never expected it to be. (Well sort of, same director. The ending didn't give a sense of a sequel, (call it a hunch >> ), but fans know that the game ended roughly the same way. I was expecting his speech at the beginning and end and Farah's- err Tamina's safe word. Course she's useless in the movie but yea it was good. It was a very nice adaptation.

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
Subzerowings said:
Lost ended?
Yeah right....
Soon you'll probably see some lame commercial where every one is back on the island again (again).
I never watched Lost but I do hate series or movies that have a cop-out ending.
That's exactly what I thought when I first heard "SERIES FINALE!!! ZOMG". Gee, didn't I hear that like... 3 years ago?

Glad the movie looks good. I'll check it out. I only played parts 1 and 3 of the SoT trilogy, but I loved those games.

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
The first movie based on a video game I really liked was Doom. Now I have a chance to see another good movie based on Prince of Persia Sands of Time and Mega64 Version 3 is available to purchase today. I'm gonna have a great weekend.

MasterSplinter

Jul 8, 2009
Fuck, this review is about prince of persia, why is lost crammed into it? I have to wait until sunday to watch the final chapters of lost cause of my crappy third world cable channels, and now i can't watch this either. I was waiting the whole morning for this...

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Tarkand said:
Well, it's 'good' I guess.

Am I the only one who think this summer's movie line up look terrible? :(

Now that Iron Man 2 came out... it's all 'meh' stuff.
Oh the lineup for the rest of the summer looks awful. The only movies I'm looking forward to are Predators (cause its gonna be hilariously bad) and The Last Airbender (cause it could be good, maybe).

Anyway,
Pseudonym2 said:
Why are so many Hollywood movies criticizing the war in Iraq now? It might have done some good six or seven years ago.
I think people are digging to hard too find war allegories in stuff... Avatar was pretty blatant about it but I think this is a reach. If you really try you can make anything into an allegory for anything.

Watch: In How to Train Your Dragon, the dragon represents slavery since he is black in color and bound to the white male main character and can no longer accomplish anything without the superior abilities of his white keeper. He is also chained up and forced to do labor for the rest of the whites when he leads them to the dragon nest. I just came up with that on the spot.

Stop reading so much in to everything, it isn't really there.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I don't remember who did it, but I remember someone saying that the only movies that have a chance of being really decent videogame movies were movies based on videogames that, at the same time, were inspired by movie genres... That way, the movie could be decent on that genre, and just slightly refer the videogame.

Think about the examples some people are giving. Mortal Kombat is a mashup chinese martial arts movie, resident evil is a mashup zombies movie, Tomb Raider is a mashup Indiana Jones-like adventure movies. Mario Bros and BloodRayne, on the other hand...

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
If I remember correctly, it was a year ago when Bob reviewed Up, marking the official debut of ETTM here on The Escapist. So to that, I say Happy Anniversary! Here's to another great year, Bob.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Alright then, I might just give this movie a shot then since it doesn't seem too bad now.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I would believe you more moviebob that it is good if you actually spent some time saying what it is good about it. Was the action good? Was the acting good? The cinematography? The chemestry? You really don't say WHY it is good, spending most of this review talking about how Anticlimatic or ranting on about the "Whiteboarding," or how bad;y then ended Lost. I know you have only five minutes, but do you actually have to cut down on the review for the off topic rants?

tirone231

Jul 11, 2009
While I can understand the complaints about "whitewashing", I just want to direct people to listen and watch any cutscene from Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. You'll notice that Jake G. sounds and looks almost exactly like the Prince in the game, British accent included. So while he's not exactly Middle Eastern, he is almost a perfect stand in for the video game character, ans since this is a video game based movie, that should be the important thing...right?