Escape to the Movies: Prince of Persia

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
the ending actually shares the ending of the sands of time tirolgy. sort of. also he kinda white in the game and has a british accent in the game. lastly did any one notice that when he rapped his face in that cloth it looks like what the new price of persia rapped his face in.

shadowstriker86

Feb 12, 2009
Jory said:
I'm just posting here to say how pissed off I also was at the ending of Lost.

It was such a let down.

Also, you apologised for mixing up the flags, then used the phrase "British Accent" which is a rather touchy subject ;D
you know what would've been better? had lost taken place in an alternate earth that somehow links to different earths time to time and they ended up in another alternate earth where yeti's are fighting mutant polar bears

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
EnigmaHarper said:
I honestly don't understand what everyone's deal is with "whitewashing." I think if you have an actor that is good in a role it shouldn't matter what color he is.

The bit about everyone having British accents, though, IS truly annoying.
Exactly, like how when Morgan Freeman played God in Bruce Almighty, people were cool about it. (Even though everyone pictures God as an white old guy with a beard)

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
Just... one thing... The Middle East is also Asia, it's Southwestern Asia + Egypt.

ninjaman 420

Feb 18, 2009
EnigmaHarper said:
I honestly don't understand what everyone's deal is with "whitewashing." I think if you have an actor that is good in a role it shouldn't matter what color he is.

there are exceptions, you wouldn't let a white guy play Othello would you? well maybe if the rest of the cast was black...

Shoqiyqa

Mar 31, 2009
EnigmaHarper said:

Hey, at least the British pronunciation of "Iran" as i r a n
is closer to the Arabic and Farsi i y r a a n
than the US pronunciation of "Iran" as a y r a n.

While we're on the subject, here's the one next to it:
عراق
That's 'iraaq, not eye-rack. I don't call Mr Obama the Pre-side-dent of the Unnited Statters of Amy Riker, do I?

Davrel

Jan 31, 2010
The "Postal" movie, whilst far from anything remotely resembling cinematic genius was deeply entertaining; so I have to disagree with the "first good video-game movie" comments.

Shoqiyqa

Mar 31, 2009
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
(Even though everyone pictures God as an white old guy with a beard)
According to the mitochondrial DNA analysis boffins, it'd be more reasonable to portray such a deity as looking like this:

Hey, is "OMG" safe for work?

IWCAS said:
I can't wait to see this, and sorry for getting off topic, but I think a Final Fantasy movie would go over really well. Am I the only one? Must include original music like Zanarkand. Who doesn't love that song? Again I apologize for getting a little off topic.
I fear the box set. How many volumes would it be?

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
I just came from seeing the movie and it was great! Really. Although the names and relationships of the caracthers were changed, as well as location, it was ass faithful to the game lore as possible.

I saw some critics saying it had to much videogame aspects in it, I say thats exactly what I would expect from a movie based on the videogame, all the moves were reproduced in the movie.

The story was well told and since the respective game of the series is a bit old already I forgot enough to be kept in suspense many times, although I identified the major villain even before the opening credits. But I had forgot about the ending so that was a surprise, it just clicked in my head afterwards. Some bad parts here thou, some cliches like the love story, caracther laughing and something terrible happening afterwards, dropping guard and being attacked. Hollywood should have got over these unoriginal ideas decades ago already.

The acting was good I have to say. Jacob Benjamin Gyllenhaal was well as the prince but should have kept his natural American accent, I could swear he swinged between English and some sort of scottish accent along the movie.Maybe they wanted british accents to be faithful to the game.

In my humble opinion I give it 90%. Will definitely own the DVD.

avincie

May 28, 2010
Bob, you have obviously forgotten the awesomeness that was "Super Mario Bros." It falls into the so utterly-ridiculous-it's good category. I'd also put the "Resident Evil" films into the guilty pleasure category (Sienna Guillory as Jill Valentine). And "Silent Hill" gets some points for capturing the creepiness of the game. Though it does, sadly, fall apart in the last twenty minutes. Eh, maybe you're right...

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
soapyshooter said:
FUCK THAT! The ending of Lost was great. Unless you missed the point. They weren't able to address all the issues because of ABC's ridiculous time restrictions. More answers are coming on the DVD set
After all the seasons they weren't? You can'y say it was ABC's fault. They knew that the series like any other TV show would be cancelled as soon as the audience rates would drop under a certain line. They shouldn't keep making the plot wondering around and about making it more and more complex so in the last season they go like: "Fuck, now we can't solve everything". Actually even worse when they say they planned to end the series in 3 seasons and ABC signed with them for 3 more, so they had twice the time originally given to come to terms with the plot.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Kind of suprised to hear that Prince of Persia is a good movie. Now I am really curious and want to go see it.

But honestly, I don't know what Movie Bob was expecting. It was only logical that a video game with at least some semblance of an actual plot would be the first one to be made into a decent movie. While I suppose "princess gets kidnapped and Mario needs to save her" is some sort of plot, it's not exactly a concept that would make for a good movie.

Having said that, considering IGN's April Fools Zelda Trailer, I think Legend of Zelda would potentially make a good movie. Not a great one, but perhaps at least a good one.

As for the "whitewashing" thing. While it would be great if they hired some good Iranian actors to play the roles, I don't think their choices were necessarilly bad. I mean, the main actor may not be Persian, but he looks kind of Persian and is preety faithful to the Prince's appearance. So I don't think it's that big of a deal, especially considering Persia was an empire at the time.

Z(ombie)fan

Mar 12, 2010
TRANSLATION:

"Meh"

anyway, Ive always liked videogame movies.

and indeed I put the resievil movies over the resievil games (except 4, but then again four has fucking nothing to do with the franchise.)

daedrick

Jul 23, 2008
Man, where are the monster of the sand? I mean, did they completly by pass the fact that the whole population became monster of the sand of time. Twisted aberation mindless killing things...

Are there any freaking monster at all in the movie? :(

Sesoron

Mar 1, 2010
Ethnically speaking, an Indian would make a far better Persian than an Arab would. Persian and Indian peoples are closely related, and are themselves part of the Indo-European family of nations. In fact, any European (not counting Basques) would make a better Persian than an Arab would, along those lines. Sure, we like to think of Persia as being "Middle Eastern" because they're predominantly Muslim, like the Arab world, but that's a later advent.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Just a quick note on geography: Middle East is still part of Asia (or at least most of it).

Anyway, this looks reasonable. I'm considering watching this one since I MISSED IRON MAN 2.