Escape to the Movies: Prince of Persia

Danglybits

Oct 31, 2008
TheNoirGuy said:
The ban on whitewashing explained:

http://humblecomics.com/blog/index.php?entry=entry100524-195255

I disagree, I really doubt they have that cast because those were the best actors ever. I think those were the best actors who the biggest audience (Caucasian Americans) could identify with and that would draw the biggest numbers in(aka Jake Gyllenhal fan girls). But I'm not going to NOT see it for that reason alone. It looks pretty entertaining.
I have to agree. Gyllenhal is good but he's not that good. Most roles in Hollywood already go to Caucasians so seeing a bunch of Caucasians playing middle-eastern characters with obligatory english accents kind of sucks. When they start casting non-Caucasian actors for racially specific Caucasian roles, then maybe we can leave out the race issue. (wants to see black but still British James Bond). I don't think they decided, "no, we have to have Whitey play the principle characters", I think they thought, "Who is most likely to draw people to the theaters?" It's already got two strikes against it because it's a video game movie. It would also have been nice to see them use someone new and relatively unknown for the Prince; because white or not I can't buy Donnie Darko as the Prince, and I can't buy Persia with British accents. It's one part a racial let down and two parts authenticity. I won't avoid it just for the casting decisions, I'll avoid it more for the fact that the accent thing drives me crazy and I find Gyllenhal really annoying for some reason. Not as much as Tobey Maguire though...but he did make a cute beagle.

Travdelosmuertos

Apr 16, 2009
dunnace said:
I suppose that climatic moment we all want will come from a movie of a game that actually warrants a movie. Something like MGS or Bioshock, games with textured plots. Of course both those games would need about 4 hours to tell just one of their stories but still.
Yes, I can't wait for four hour (8 hour director's cut) cluster fuck of a plot from MGS. Some properties should just stay in their native format, much like Frank Herbert's Dune. Too much interwoven plot and internal narrative for film. MGS has too many plot twists and "oh shit" moments. It'd be four hours of robo-ninjas jumping sharks over nuked fridges.

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
From what I've seen of this movie it looks good, so I'm glad to hear a good review of it from movie bob. About the whole whitewash thing, yeah the main actor is Caucasian but you gotta admit he pulls off the part really well.

Travdelosmuertos

Apr 16, 2009
Danglybits said:
TheNoirGuy said:
The ban on whitewashing explained:

http://humblecomics.com/blog/index.php?entry=entry100524-195255

I disagree, I really doubt they have that cast because those were the best actors ever. I think those were the best actors who the biggest audience (Caucasian Americans) could identify with and that would draw the biggest numbers in(aka Jake Gyllenhal fan girls). But I'm not going to NOT see it for that reason alone. It looks pretty entertaining.
I have to agree. Gyllenhal is good but he's not that good. Most roles in Hollywood already go to Caucasians so seeing a bunch of Caucasians playing middle-eastern characters with obligatory english accents kind of sucks. When they start casting non-Caucasian actors for racially specific Caucasian roles, then maybe we can leave out the race issue. (wants to see black but still British James Bond). I don't think they decided, "no, we have to have Whitey play the principle characters", I think they thought, "Who is most likely to draw people to the theaters?" It's already got two strikes against it because it's a video game movie. It would also have been nice to see them use someone new and relatively unknown for the Prince; because white or not I can't buy Donnie Darko as the Prince, and I can't buy Persia with British accents. It's one part a racial let down and two parts authenticity. I won't avoid it just for the casting decisions, I'll avoid it more for the fact that the accent thing drives me crazy and I find Gyllenhal really annoying for some reason. Not as much as Tobey Maguire though...but he did make a cute beagle.
In the game, the voice actors have British-ish accents. The man who voices the Prince in Sands of Time is white. And surprisingly enough, Gyllenhaal pulls the part off.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Tarkand said:
Well, it's 'good' I guess.

Am I the only one who think this summer's movie line up look terrible? :(

Now that Iron Man 2 came out... it's all 'meh' stuff.
I thought Iron Man 2 sucked, there wasn't even a movie there, just a set up to The Avengers movie which won't be out for another 2-3 years if ever...-_-

As for Moviebob's reactions to a good video game movie tie-in, all I can say is you do know there's more to gaming than a couple first party franchises that's been made by Nintendo right?

Trust me, Prince of Persia is just as much apart of gaming as the mushroom kingdom, maybe you just needed to be a PC gamer in the 90s to know that....hmmmm

Wouldn't mind a good Zelda movie but how much you bet they'll be ripping a good portion off from LOTR...=/

Joey245

Jan 29, 2009
My dad and I were planning to see this.

Good to know we won't be wasting our money. :)

Thanks for reviewing it, MovieBob.

Frankfurter4444

Aug 11, 2009
I'm glad Bob thinks the movie is "good" which means it probably is. I've agreed with him on every movie he and I have both seen except Daybreakers (which was fucking terrible)

Based upon the tone of his review though, I really honestly get the feeling if the very first good video game movie *was* The Legend of Zelda, Bob would be making comparisons to Lord of the Rings and other Dark Ages movies during the whole review. Based on his tone, at least. Video games are trying to become more about the storytelling these days, I think it is to be expected the areas of video game stories and film stories might start overlapping a lot.

paddyfro

Oct 2, 2009
i just watched it and thought it was pretty fantastic, don't really see the point of worrying about "whitewashing" the cast didn't ruin my enjoyment of the movie.

though on a side not, when moviebob rewinds the clip saying "in the spirit of things" shouldn't he have rewound it back a minute???
as the bit when he says it is at 3:06 so it should have went back to 2:06, but the clip he shows is actualy at 1:37... just saying is all....

Cliffie

Nov 25, 2009
Haha, I laughed so hard at the live-action Mario pic you Photoshoped together. That was hillarious.

Anyway, great review. This is pretty much what I expected would happen. It's entertaining, but that's about it.

Cheers!

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
MovieBob said:
This week MovieBob takes a look at Alad...errr...I mean Prince of Persia.
Any game that takes a large portion of their influence from movies and other media will be much easier to create than a game that get's it's influence else where because the movie of the game has essentially already been made, they just have to make it again. They have this mold from the early adventure movies and all that has to be done is fill in the characters names and perhaps shift the plot around a little bit for it to make a little more sense. Hey presto, average enough movie to sell well.

This means that a large number of modern games, such as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, God of War, Mass Effect, Kane and Lynch, Left 4 Dead, Far Cry 2 (not to be confused with Far Cry which had the terrible movie made out of it), Gears of War and even Halo (which you seemed resolute in think will suck if made if I recall) could be made into decent enough movies given that they already are, pretty much movies. Stick the characters into the archetypal plot and a good enough movie exists. Have a decent enough director and writer and you can make a really good movie from lets say, Far Cry 2. Far Cry 2 borrows heavily from Apocalypse Now and Heart of Darkness, really heavily, but sets it in a modern conflict in Africa. A writer could easily create a story about a bunch of mercs going into Africa to kill this arms dealers with many beautiful scenic shots and plenty of good enough action. Blood Diamond was a bit like this and quite good I think. Keep people like Uwe Boll away from it and any movie based game movie will do well.

Games like Mario and Zelda could also have good movies based on them, but I still think they would need to follow other movies quite closely. That picture of shopped Mario movie you made, it looks just like Avatar, the Zelda one just like Lord of The Rings so what you would be getting is a more child oriented version of those movies if they want to stick close to the games, more adult if they want to branch out further.

To be honest I'm not sure if I'll like a game-movie made to fit a different kind of movie. Zelda might be considered fantasy but it isn't Lord of the Rings fantasy, merging the two just wont work. Same with Mario.

In the future we're going to see more movie based games based movies coming out. We actually already have Kane and Lynch which will be interesting to see and I wouldn't be surprised if the Halo film gets a revival. Bioshock might be good and I have high hopes for the Mass Effect movie. Time will tell I guess.

NeuroticMarshmallow

Nov 18, 2009
dah...
I liked the ending of LOST-no matter how bubbly it was. Maybe I'm just a sucker for sentimentality.

but I digress.

Your opinion of this film actually seems to what I expected it to pan out. I haven't seen it though. .I am moderately irked by the casting just a bit. Not the actors-more like as you mentioned,it wasn't of the ethnicity. It seems to me that it just fits the summer movie mold and is nice and comfortable.

Terrified Android

Apr 1, 2010
Haha! oh movie bob! you crack me up, "He's the "Brownest"..." hahahahaha seriously funny.

I will still see this movie, i'm actually more excited than I was, but I just hope it's worth the money.

Frylock72

Dec 7, 2009
MADNESS4 said:
one thing thats irks me a lot is that i hear so many people say video game movies are bad (and ya they almost all are) but one movie i have to defend is Hitman, ya know that movie staring Timothy Olyphant, im sure not many people will say they like that movie as much as me, but its a long way form being "bad" and i really enjoy it
I was just going to say that. Hitman is a really good movie, I enjoy it a lot. The first Mortal Kombat was good, too. The second was horrible, yes, but PoP is NOT the FIRST good video game movie.

Binder Adzowry

Feb 21, 2010
It's kind of you-already-know-how-it-ends movie. Still, it's much better than watching the Irish Robin Hood with Russell Crow :/

Fortesque

Jan 16, 2009
Ok. Seriously. If you down own them, go pick up the SoT Trilogy from EB Games. They all come in 1 box, and it only cost about $30-$40AUD.

I im still thinking this movie will totally suck, I loved the SoT games. That over the top acrobatics and impossible fighting moves, they were just so damn good. Things like that just wouldnt work well on the big-screen, mainly because half the movie would be done with nothing but CGI.. Which isnt a bad thing in Avatar's case.

And there are a few things in that trailer that seem to have been stolen from other SoT games. It seems they have sort-of mashed them all into one movie. Like, why the fuck was a baddie using the Dagger-Tail (aka blade whip from The Two Thrones) that the Dark Prince used?

And this is just a little whine im having. Why did they give the Prince a name... Dastan.. Really? The Prince should never have a name, never did in the SoT trilogy, so why now? But it would be a bit stupid to have a movie with a nameless main character, which in Kill Bill's case actually worked. If they can call her "The Bride" in the credits, why cant he just be "The Prince".

Danglybits

Oct 31, 2008
Travdelosmuertos said:
In the game, the voice actors have British-ish accents. The man who voices the Prince in Sands of Time is white. And surprisingly enough, Gyllenhaal pulls the part off.
I know they do, and the accents are just as stupid in game as they are in a movie. Same with Altaiir's American accent. Maybe less so, everyone in POP has a British accent but Altaiir seemed like the only one with an American accent.

VGFreak1225

Dec 21, 2008
I've seen mixed reviews thus far. Still not sure if I'll see it myself, though I quite like Pop: TSoT on my GCN. Glad to hear you enjoyed it though Bob.