Escape to the Movies: Prince of Persia

The Random One

May 29, 2008
You know, I really could go for a browniest right about now. But I don't have any, so I'll have to settle for a muffinish or a donutly.

waterblender

Varia Suit Maintenance Engineer
Apr 15, 2010
i saw it last night, it wasn't until about 5 minutes after the movie finished that i realised the whole 'good videogame adaptation' thing.
I thought about what made this one work as an adaption and then i realised it.
Story and characters.
With games, it's about the story, what is happening and not so much about the characters, because you are essentially the character. You are more interested in what's going to happen next, as opposed to what your character is going through.
With movies, we sometimes think in the same way (stop talking and get to the action already). but the good ones balance what is happening in the plot with how the characters are developing.
Bob said something similar in the avatar review, that the story was kept simple so people could focus on getting absorbed into pandora.
So the game's that can translate well are the ones that don't take complete focus of the characters while forwarding the story.

Upon writing this i realised that a 'no more heroes' movie would be AWESOME

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Surprisingly this movie is actually better than the game which isn't directly based on it but was instead just rushed to co-inside with its release. Really weird. We have a game that isn't movie based that got treated like it was movie based and we have the first ever good video game based movie and its like... not a big deal.

Bob's right, I think when everyone pictured "the first good video game movie" they expected a more main stream established franchise like Halo or Mario or something figuring out a clever way of being a good movie.

PoP essentially did the same thing as the first and third Resident Evil films, which was to keep the name and make a few very slight barely noticable references to the games, except unlike those movies this one managed to not turn out shit.

Sev72

Apr 13, 2009
Of all the unrealistic things that happen in that movie people felt the one to single out was the fact that the actors were white?

Macar

Jun 16, 2009
As for the English accent thing- here's my guess.

I think that English accents make it easy to demonstrate differences in class. Think about it- you hear a cockney accent, you automaticaly know what class it is.

PS- please say "Eeeeeraaaahn" not "Eye-ran"

MaraJade03

Jan 14, 2010
Seneschal said:
Hey, where is your avatar from? I got a childhood flashback when I saw it, but I can't pinpoint why.
Oh she is Leen from the PS1 game Grandia. Love the game! Grandia and Xenogears turned me into a Gamer, you know, instead of watching my big bro play.

Seamus8

Mar 26, 2008
Fortesque said:
And this is just a little whine im having. Why did they give the Prince a name... Dastan.. Really? The Prince should never have a name, never did in the SoT trilogy, so why now? But it would be a bit stupid to have a movie with a nameless main character, which in Kill Bill's case actually worked. If they can call her "The Bride" in the credits, why cant he just be "The Prince".
You mean Beatrix Kiddo?

GodKlown

Dec 16, 2009
MovieBob brings up a good idea... in passing. Perhaps Hyrule would look pretty good in live action. Who the hell would play Link... Matt Damon?

jef91

Apr 19, 2010
Someone's probably already said this but the British accent thing could just be a reference to the games, where I think he was given that accent to make him fit a more intellectual stereotype for the American audiences (before you get angry Americans, think about all the movies where characters that are thought of as more intelligent are given British accents. Hell, think of every scientist or whatever that has been given that accent in a movie).

Also, despite the spoiler warnings, WHY GIVE AWAY THE ENDING TO SOMETHING I HAVEN'T GOT AROUND TO WATCHING YET? I appreciate that the final episode has been released and all but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one when I say I haven't caught up on every TV show I've wanted to watch because I've been studying or working instead.

Fortesque

Jan 16, 2009
Seamus8 said:
Fortesque said:
And this is just a little whine im having. Why did they give the Prince a name... Dastan.. Really? The Prince should never have a name, never did in the SoT trilogy, so why now? But it would be a bit stupid to have a movie with a nameless main character, which in Kill Bill's case actually worked. If they can call her "The Bride" in the credits, why cant he just be "The Prince".
You mean Beatrix Kiddo?
Yeah, But they only gave her a name in Part 2. In the first, she was only known as "The Bride".

robakerson

Feb 19, 2010
Wow. I made a point of never caring about Lost. Partly due to not wanting to get sucked into hundreds of hours worth of 'epic' cliffhan..err, storytelling, and partly because I watched the first two-three episodes when it first debuted and didn't get the allure.

But this just made me *really* glad that I never got into Lost.

Also, guess this is a rental. If I'm bored and there's nothing amazing to watch.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
The more I think about it, the more I realize that this really was destined to not be a bad movie. Good review Bob.

Though I do have one little thing that has been bugging me. The Halo movie. Think about if Neil Blomkamp directed the movie in the exact same fashion he did District 9. Aparently the story with the books wasn't half bad, and the video game offers some great and nifty special effects that can be done, so why not?

Its got all the good elements, like an apocalypse, aliens, and a bad ass protagonist. Plus, they could maybe go at an angle where the focus on a less important character who is shadowing Master Chief. I think they would be able to pull something good out of it. Take my word, because I didnt even like the games to much.

matt87_50

Apr 3, 2009
holy crap... is that really how lost ends... God I hate TV...

typical current day Scifi:

Character 1 to Character 2: "wow look at that out there! easily the most interesting and refreshing scifi premise I've seen in a while!"

Character 2: "oh yes. interesting... but who cares about that. how are YOU feeling..."

*the remaining 59 minutes of show is entirely uninteresting and irrelevant 'character building'*

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Cool, I'll see it then, IMDB and RT had me worried, it seems video game adaptations will always carry an annoying stigma..No reviewer seems to be able to review it independently.

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
Lost was about religion. Sci-fi was just a good cover. I'm sorry you couldn't see it from the moment Mr.Eko opened his mouth.

Ps. Moviebob, if you read these(Which you dont) your pretty on the ball with most things. Ive watched damn near everything youve had to say, and this is the second time Ive disagreed with you. Not bad.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Also I'd like to say something I've said many times over

PERSIANS. Are. WHITE.

Not even the game portrays Persians as tanned or brown, I just finished forgotten sands and the prince is completely white.

WingedFortress said:
Lost was about religion. Sci-fi was just a good cover. I'm sorry you couldn't see it from the moment Mr.Eko opened his mouth.

Ps. Moviebob, if you read these(Which you dont) your pretty on the ball with most things. Ive watched damn near everything youve had to say, and this is the second time Ive disagreed with you. Not bad.
Moviebob is right. Lost finale was a ridiculous joke.

RestamSalucard

Feb 26, 2010
Daveman said:
THAT SAID the thing about "destiny" at the beginning and end. Anyone else think it was a shittier version of the "time is an ocean in a storm" speech from the game?
People think time is like a river, that it flows swift and sure in one direction. But I have seen the face of time and I can tell you... it's more like a big ball of wibbily-wobbily... timey-wimey... stuff.
Therumancer said:
Honestly, for all the whining, I don't think the hypothetical guy who should have gotten this role actually exists.
Oded Fehr doesn't think you exist either!
Vitor Goncalves said:
As for the ending, only explanation for MovieBob to not like it is, he was expecting it to be different from the game ending. And actually MovieBob, it was, or were you sleeping?!
In the game the villain doesn't die and that's what allows plot for the rest of the SoT trilogy.
Yes, but that's because he was ressurected in the third game when the Prince created a Time Paradox in the second; do keep up.
Fortesque said:
The man's name is Kakacocoapuffs. And when you say his name a door will open.

Vitor Goncalves

Mar 22, 2010
RestamSalucard said:
Vitor Goncalves said:
As for the ending, only explanation for MovieBob to not like it is, he was expecting it to be different from the game ending. And actually MovieBob, it was, or were you sleeping?!
In the game the villain doesn't die and that's what allows plot for the rest of the SoT trilogy.
Yes, but that's because he was ressurected in the third game when the Prince created a Time Paradox in the second; do keep up.
The vizir was not ressurected in game, prince made time go back, to when the vizir was still alive. The difference is in the movie the uncle plot is unmasked as soon as the events resume and he end up being executed there, while in the game the vizir is left to live enough to justify the sequel.