Escape to the Movies: Prince of Persia

Racecar1994

Nov 21, 2009
I can only feel a slight joy that MovieBob feels indifferent about it being a 'good' videogame movie, and this is because it shows that people don't look at games in the way of them being for kids. Maybe i'm being too general here, but the fact that MovieBob describes briefly that the movie and the game are basically based on older movies (and are inevitably LIKE the movies) shows that he, along with quite possibly many other people, do not view them as a shallow and one-dimensional pastime like they might have 20 years ago. It shows that games are getting roughly the same respect as movies.

This is also shown in the way of the videogame movies. In the time where these movies were getting started, they all showed (Street Fighter, Super Mario Brothers, The Wizard if you count that) a more juvenile approach to creating it, and therefore, were stupid and embarrasing. Around Mid-point, they showed an ATTEMPT at appealing to a more adult audience (Resident Evil, Doom and Mortal Kombat ONE). To the most recent, which seem to embrace an adult audience and reflect that in themes and plot with films like Silent Hill, Tomb Raider... (yes, I liked that film) and quite possibly Prince of Persia.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
I'll have to see for myself how "LOST" ended, but if it's anything like you described then I can't say I'm surprised. Nothing can ever live up to the hype of itself and so the ending would always be a little contrived because your expectations are raised (remember how "Doomsday Arcade" ended? I mean, it wasn't horrible but still, you get the picture).

On the original topic of "Prince Of Persia", I still think I'll give it a miss. Somehow it feels old, like it's been done 100 times before and this is just plowing the same furrow (which as you pointed out it kinda does).

Also, the best game-based-on-a-movie is the mythical "Oddworld" movie, which has been rumoured to "still be in production" since "Abe's Exodus", although if you want something more modern I think "Bioshock" would be pretty good, as long as it's directed by someone who "gets" the franchise and doesn't cut corners or mess around with the time line just to please the douchebags who don't.

infernovolver

Jun 11, 2008
Oh wow. No stupid pictures or text that pops up for a split second, no really blurry quality fuck ups- I think these are getting better moviebob. If only you can get into discussing the actual movie a bit more. Like the plot. Or the characters. Or how good the actors were. That sort of thing.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
WHITE WASHING:
dear Bob,

you did not realize that Jews are a religion community NOT an ethnical group, like Ben Kingsley is half-Indian.
If you said it´s the "white guy" actually being half-Israli or -Iranian etc. would be accurate.

SamStar42

Oct 16, 2009
To be fair, the Lost ending was always going to suck compared to the Ashes to Ashes ending. Man, that was good.

Might see this, I would like to play SoT though.

pabloqs

Jul 16, 2009
The whole sixth season of Lost was pretty much disappointing, but that doesn't mean the series as a whole is bad, I can honestly say episodes such as "The Constant" or "Walkabout" are better than most Hollywood movies.

I loved the first Matrix and didn't quite like the sequels, but those extra two movies didn't ruin the first one for me, the writers should have ended the show with Jughead exploding, that's a ballsy ending :)

As for POP I didn't hate it and that Gemma Arterton girl sure looks nice.

gmacarthur81

<(^.^<) <(^.^)> (>^.^)>
Nov 13, 2009
I think Alexander Siddig would have made a good Prince.

But he isn't from the ME either, he is Sudanese.

Samoftherocks

Oct 4, 2008
MovieBob said:
Prince of Persia

This week MovieBob takes a look at Alad...errr...I mean Prince of Persia.

For more from MovieBob, check out Intermission [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/moviebob/7615-Stealing-From-the-Next-Generation].

Be sure to join Escape to the Movies Facebook Fan Page here [http://www.facebook.com/pages/Escape-to-the-Movies/374853431247].

Watch Video
Haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure it will have been a better experience if the "Prince" of Persia started out, as he did in the game, as a Prince. Arrogant, brash, milding irritating, loses it all and is thrust into a world he must come to terms with, while at the same time growing as a person to rescue his father and the girl he meets in the chaos.

Not force-feeding us a cookie-cutter protagonist in the form of a repurposed street urchin model that would have been better suited for Uwe Boll flick, but hey...that's Disney! I've seen Aladdin...I'll wait for video.

Top 2 movies on a game are Wing Commander (precursor to the new BSG style guide) and House of the Dead 2 (yes, it was terrible, but the kind you'll watch again, and Ed Quinn is kinda awesome).

Supp

Nov 17, 2009
k-ossuburb said:
I'll have to see for myself how "LOST" ended, but if it's anything like you described then I can't say I'm surprised. Nothing can ever live up to the hype of itself and so the ending would always be a little contrived because your expectations are raised (remember how "Doomsday Arcade" ended? I mean, it wasn't horrible but still, you get the picture).
Actually, the ending is pretty much exactly like how Doomsday Arcade ended.

Jonatron

Sep 8, 2008
More likely to be those in Britain but not English to be offended. Scotland, Ireland (I am unsure which half, forgive me), Wales. It's a sort of petty nationalism we've all got going on.

TazTheTerrible

Feb 20, 2010
Samoftherocks said:
Top 2 movies on a game are Wing Commander (precursor to the new BSG style guide) and House of the Dead 2 (yes, it was terrible, but the kind you'll watch again, and Ed Quinn is kinda awesome).
I didn't see any House of the Dead movies, but Wing Commander? Seriously?

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
Jory said:
I'm just posting here to say how pissed off I also was at the ending of Lost.

It was such a let down.

Also, you apologised for mixing up the flags, then used the phrase "British Accent" which is a rather touchy subject ;D
Yes. When in fact it is an English accent. As there is no such thing as a British Accent. as Britain is a collection on 4 sovereign states. It would be like me white-washing and saying Moviebob has an American Accent, when it is clear he has a Brooklyn accent.

Sorry, but as an Englishman, Wanna piss me off? Say I'm British, that'll do the job.

Grrrrrrr

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
kozmo said:
the second persian empire who was not much smaller, and was in the medieval ages, after Persia turned muslim. there calture and there clothes became like that arabs (people from the arabic half Isle) who ones ruled Persia and converted them to Islam. The prince of persia movie might be based about that empire because that if you look at the characters they look like muslims from movies about crusades.
For what it's worth, I don't recall that the film ever specified what the state religion of the Persians was, other than at one point someone in the conquered city mentions "the gods" and the Prince responds "your gods, not mine." Then again, prior to the arab conquest of the region the dominant faith of persia was Zoroastrianism, wasn't it? (I could be wrong about that.)

This is probably more thought than went into the actual film or series, though. Most of what the West imagines the ancient Middle East to look like it based on "orientalist" paintings and highly-fictionalized travel accounts that mixed up Persian, Arab and Indian art, culture and mythology into a whole different thing that never precisely existed in the first place.

steamweedlegoblin

Apr 28, 2010
Subzerowings said:
dradiscontact said:
No we won't.

They're all dead now

Anyway, I thought the movie was great fun. It's the first movie that I'm actually proud to say to people that it was based on a video game.
This might seem far-fetched to some people, but they can always do this:
They're all dead. Or are they? Find out what really happened! Same bat time, same bat channel!
Seriously, they can do anything from spin-offs to alternate endings if they were being paid for it.
I hope they wouldn't do alternate endings. For the record, I thought they ended it in just the right way. Spin-offs with all new characters though? I could see that happening if there was enough interest for it. Especially since:

The island needs to be constantly protected because it holds the source (or whatever you wanna call it) of all life on Earth.

outcast_within

Apr 24, 2009
What a lame excuse for a simple mistake you made.
You should teach those whiners a lesson and troll them even harder by doing it wrong on purpose.

Samoftherocks

Oct 4, 2008
TazTheTerrible said:
Samoftherocks said:
I didn't see any House of the Dead movies, but Wing Commander? Seriously?
Compared to all other game movies, Wing Commander was more fun, wasn't up-it's-own-ass serious (like Hitman and Silent Hill), also didn't butcher the story that it was based on (like uper Mario Bros. and Prince of Persia), and wasn't a Uwe Boll movie (Postal, House of the Dead, etc.).

The Mortal Kombat movies are probably the only other ones that come close to capturing the essence of the game in it's purest form. I just liked Wing Commander better...

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
I just got back from seeing it an honestly I liked it. It wasn't much like the game beyond the dagger and sands of time, but it was enjoyable. Just a fun popcorn movie. Of course I didn't watch it to see a "movie based on a game". I saw it for "fun mindless romp", and it's what I got.

Kruxxor

Jan 18, 2009
IanBrazen said:
Why does everyone forget that [HEADING=2]SILENT HILL[/HEADING] was a videogame movie, and a damn good one at that.
Silent Hill, imho, is the best video game movie to date. PoP wasn't good at all... In my eyes..

Delrez

Sep 10, 2009
It's interesting that you mentioned M Night Shamalan, because his next movie The Last Airbender will also contain white actors instead of the Asian characters from the show (and the Japanese guy is Indian) like this movie didn't have any Persians.