Escape to the Movies: Prometheus

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
The most memorable thing about the whole film was David the android. Can't help but feel like in the original version of the film he was slated to become the ultimate antagonist (aside from the ALIEN itself), but was sidelined to make room for... not much really.

Another version of "Mr. Weyland" getting over himself? I've had that scenario shown to me so many different ways by so many actors in so many continuities I've long since stopped giving a shit.

IMHO Mr. Cameron, either make a prequel to ALIEN, or make a new sci-fi movie in a similar style. Because making 1/4 of an ALIEN prequel & 3/4 of a muddled atheistic sci-fi saga bogged down with superfluous characters isn't as good as either of those options.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Prometheus is crap people, save your money and don't bother, especially if you care about the Alien series. All it does is introduce a ton of plot holes and terrible acting. If you don't care about Aliens, then this will still not be worth it.

Halfstache

Feb 3, 2012
Now if only Universal would let Guillermo Del Toro do At the Mountains of Madness like he's been wanting to do for the last ten years. Hopefully Prometheus either tanks so badly that Universal says "we can do better", or Prometheus does really well, and Universal tries to cash in on their success.

DeaDRabbiT

Sep 25, 2010
Hawk of Battle said:
Prometheus is crap people, save your money and don't bother, especially if you care about the Alien series. All it does is introduce a ton of plot holes and terrible acting. If you don't care about Aliens, then this will still not be worth it.
Honestly man, with that kind of attitude it's a wonder you enjoy movies at all.

"crap" is no where near accurate when describing Prometheus and you know it... Why don't you maybe keep your inflammatory opinions to yourself?

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I enjoyed the film, I didn't think it was anywhere near as good as peeps were claiming it would be though.

I will say, however, that the emergency surgury scene was one of the most nail biting, WTF, scenes ive ever watched, I was shitting it for the entire sequence!

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
Great review, pretty close to my thoughts on the film as well. I felt slightly disappointed at some of the twists in the movie, but I think it's because of the expectations I had. The more I think about it, the more interesting the movie is becoming to me. I'm going to go see it again and I have a feeling that now that I don't have any preconceived notions, I'll like it even more.

I didn't think the acting was off at all. I like hidden agendas and sometimes awkward exchanges in sci-fi, since the characters tend to be alienated from normalcy in different ways. Look back at Alien, Blade runner, 2001, etc. All those movies had stilted conversations, but that kind of helped the strange atmosphere of the films and added a little ambiguity.

About the ending - I think Ridley Scott had balls by not explaining much. You think a two hour space adventure is going to give us the answers we've been looking for since we could record thought to paper? I like the ambiguity. But I am getting pretty pissed at the film industry's inability to make a movie with a "beginning, middle, and end", rather than a "beginning, action, brief resolution of the current action and hint at the story of the sequel".

All in all, I'm more impressed, conflicted, and intrigued by Prometheus than any other movie this year, so it satisfied me!

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Is it wrong that every time I see a commercial for Prometheus I think of the last part of this video?
ProMEtheus!

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
An overall dull movie that might have been worse if it wasn't an Alien prequel. But still bad plots with dull characters. If it weren't for the Alien prequel bit I'd probably be more offended by the overall concept.

Apparently humans on Earth being created in the image of an alien race which will now be defined as God. As all these fake ruins all agree about something being up there. Thus proving Evolution is false.... err.... "darwinism"....

But don't worry Christianity has to be true. Just because the main character kept the "faith" that it was true. Because if we had to hold on to where humans came from it might as well be a sexist / racist one that we stole from "God's chosen people" the Jews after they threw a certain part out. All about Adam who gives birth to his daughter Eve via his rib. Because we really like Jesus. Even though we can never truly be his followers because most of us can never be Jewish.

All Evolution is about is the diversity of life on this planet. How humans are related to apes, mammals, & so on. Not the false notions made by Theists that Evolution is about superiority. Which in itself is a bogus claim since they tend to believe we were created in the image of another being. And might be the only living creatures here to have "souls". (Even though there is no evidence for souls.) Now that's a real superiority complex from Theists.

I'm somewhat regret my long rant. And probably emphasizes why if I see a movie chances are I'm going call it a "brain off" movie. Especially since Science-Fiction is an Oxymoron.

heyheysg

Jul 13, 2009
Overall Terrible Movie. It's much more similar to dumb characters in zombie movies "28 days later" where they make stupid decisions and monsters kill them.

The sci-fi in this is very limited to just the aesthetics, it could easily be set somewhere else.

Characters are boring

Plot makes 0 sense

the CG is really good though.

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
FelixG said:
I went to the midnight release and I enjoyed it.

The only thing I didnt get was
the mutant dude at the ramp

If anyone could explain THAT to me I would appreciate it!
Spoilers I GUESS (this is like the least interesting thing that could be spoiled in this movie lol):

That was Holloway, Dr. Shaws' boyfriend, if I'm not mistaken. He was clearly infected, and they torched him and left him for dead. As we've seen with the xenomorph, and the genetic material (black goo) that produced it, whatever lifeform gets touched by the black goo tends to become violent and very very tough.

I have to admit though, that was a pretty silly part of the movie. I guess it fit thematically, but it seemed so much like those stupid 50s sci-fi movies MST3K likes to rail on, where some bulky guy waves his arms around and suddenly all the background characters are dead.

uguito-93

This space for rent
Jul 16, 2009
I was kinda glad that I barely remember most details of the first Alien movie seeing as I was about 12 when I saw it last. Guess it helped me to not notice all these apparent "alien prequel" littered throughout the film.

whiffleball

Nov 12, 2009
FelixG said:
Luca72 said:
FelixG said:
I went to the midnight release and I enjoyed it.

The only thing I didnt get was
the mutant dude at the ramp

If anyone could explain THAT to me I would appreciate it!
Spoilers I GUESS (this is like the least interesting thing that could be spoiled in this movie lol):

That was Holloway, Dr. Shaws' boyfriend, if I'm not mistaken. He was clearly infected, and they torched him and left him for dead. As we've seen with the xenomorph, and the genetic material (black goo) that produced it, whatever lifeform gets touched by the black goo tends to become violent and very very tough.

I have to admit though, that was a pretty silly part of the movie. I guess it fit thematically, but it seemed so much like those stupid 50s sci-fi movies MST3K likes to rail on, where some bulky guy waves his arms around and suddenly all the background characters are dead.
Ahh I thought it was the guy with the worm in his mouth.

Though I have to admit I cant wait for the riftrax version of this!
Actually you are both wrong. It was the geologist. Boyfriend was torched and that was the end of him, and they found biologist with whole in his head and a snake jumped out and went into the black ooze. The geologist had fallen into the black ooze but his body wasn't there when they found the biologist.

Him being super-strong mutant didn't make any sense to me either until someone earlier in this thread mentioned that they thought the black ooze had transformed the grubs into those snake things. That might make sense if we assume that the ooze mutates different beings, but there isn't any real explanation of that one way or the other. Which I guess I dont really care about, as I'm willing to let the fact that the monsters weren't really explained slide.

Has anyone else seen the "deleted scenes" from the original Alien where they had the alien creature do this weird crab walk movement. I totally got that imagery in my mind when the mutant guy showed up at the ship.

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
You forgot Mission to Mars. That went down the panspermia rabbit hole as well.

And for what it's really worth, 2001 is probably the first real sci-fi movie to explore this topic, albeit through nudging existing species towards sentience rather than seeding planets directly (suck it, prime directive!), and even though that probably wasn't clear to most people until 2010 came out, if they didn't read the books and - like most people - had no effing clue what the first or last half hour of the first movie was about.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
This movie was absolutely the worst piece of shit I've seen this year... and probably last year.

It's only success is how strongly it makes me feel rage and hatred. I just spent an hour ranting about how bad this movie was.

It was absolutely horrendous.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
WhiteTigerShiro said:
GamemasterAnthony said:
I saw that Wreck-It-Ralph thing, Bob...and like I asked on another forum, since WHEN is Zangief a bad guy?!? Actually...since it's Pixar, which still has some connections to Disney, and it's about video games, I will be VERY disappointed if we don't see a Tron or Kingdom Hearts based cameo.
1. If the Zangief thing is seriously the only gripe you can come up with to bash the movie, then you're trying too hard to find reasons to bash on the movie. Not to say that I think you're bashing the movie, but honestly, I'm getting tired of hearing about Zangief in EVERY discussion about the movie; and some people who bring it up are using it as a reason to say the movie is gonna be bad.

2. It isn't Pixar; Pixar is working on Brave, right now. Wreck-It Ralph is just Disney.
1. Nah...it isn't a gripe. More like a "WTF?" Zangief was actually one of the good guys since he joined the Joes when the SF2 characters joined the G.I.Joe toy line. So...I guess it's just me thinking it's a psuedo-continuity hiccup.

2. Ah...good to know. Still...my comment about Kingdom Hearts and/or Tron still holds.

Satosuke

Dec 18, 2007
I have my reservations about Wreck-It Ralph. Yeah sure all the things about nostalgic video games are sweet (I almost fell off my chair when I realized KANO and a ZOMBIE FROM HOUSE OF THE DEAD were in that Bad-Anon meeting) but everything beyond that seems too clean. it's pretty obvious that "Hero's Duty" is a send-up of Call of Duty and its ilk, but it looks more like a G-rated parody of Halo.

Actually...hadn't thought of it possibly being a Halo satire before. Actually makes it work better in my mind. Nevermind what I said; this could be a hell of a movie.

Aug 1, 2010
Once again I find myself going completely against popular opinion (yet oddly with Bob) when I say I absolutely [i/][b/]ADORED[/b][/i] this movie.

I'm not saying everyone should like it, but it was one of my favorite movie's in years.

This may be in part because I ignored pretty much all the hype for it. I didn't watch many trailers and to be honest, I wasn't looking very forward to it. Furthermore, I knew from the start that it was only a vague prequel to Alien.

Though I think the biggest reason I like it was the visual design. I am a HUGE fan of H.R. Giger's work and he really got to show off in this.
In terms of a movie working purely on its visual, I felt that this was Avatar done right.

I don't know about anyone else, but to me, the script felt [b/]very[/b] Cohen Brothers, who I love.

Great performances as Bob said with Fassbender stealing the show.
All in all, I couldn't be happier that I saw Prometheus.

Side Note: DAMN IT WRECK-IT-RALPH, WHY WON'T YOU TAKE MY MONEY???

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
It was alright. I was expecting a great movie (Yeah, I hyped myself. Silly me.), but what I got was merely slightly above average. It really went to shit in the last half, making little to no sense.