Escape to the Movies: Public Enemies

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
xmetatr0nx said:
the better guns are the MP40 and the sturmgewehr 44, sadly they arent ever put on film because of their unpleasant backgrounds.
Maybe if you are arguing on the merits of actual technical specs, but in terms of cinematic icon appeal the only other sub machine gun that comes close to the Thompson would be the Uzi. Honestly how many people can identify an MP40 or Sturmgewehr on sight, but I guarantee almost anyone will recognize a Thompson and can at least identify the connection to Mafia and organized crime.

Of coarse now this has me thinking about all the most cinematic firearms. Pistols is a toss up between the Colt 45 Single Action Army Revolver and the Colt 1911. While the Western has lost some of it's appeal over the years, I think the "Peacemaker" is on most people's minds when it comes to revolvers. The Colt 1911 has been used almost as frequently in movies as it has been in service. Although I think the Berrata might be moving to replace it in the semi-automatic pistol category.

For rifles I think I am going to hearken back to the Western again, while it's rarely seen today the Winchester is till probably the most recognized rifle that your average person could identify and place. Assault Rifle is easy. It has to be the AK-47, no contest really. No assault rifle is more widely known or can be instantly equated to certain groups and feelings about such.

Feel free to add your own.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
xmetatr0nx said:
While not a big on the big screen the MP40 seems to be what everyone relies on in every WWII game since they cant seem to make the Thompson very well.
Well the point he's getting at is that more people will go with the Thompson strictly from how it's been portrayed in the media. A lot more people watch mafia movies than people that play WWII games.

Side note: Personally I believe the MP40 to be a piece of crud. The PPSH-41 to be a much better gun.

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
This film seems very intriguing indeed. Nice work Moviebob, like many of said, when you tone down the angry ballistic rage and constant swearing, you do your best work, and I feel you stay tons more objective and insightful when you are calm. Still, it was annoying having to pause 6-7 times trying to time it so I could see the text that was flashing on the screen, but that would be my only complaint, otherwise, keep up the good work.

Slycne said:
xmetatr0nx said:
the better guns are the MP40 and the sturmgewehr 44, sadly they arent ever put on film because of their unpleasant backgrounds.
Maybe if you are arguing on the merits of actual technical specs, but in terms of cinematic icon appeal the only other sub machine gun that comes close to the Thompson would be the Uzi. Honestly how many people can identify an MP40 or Sturmgewehr on sight, but I guarantee almost anyone will recognize a Thompson and can at least identify the connection to Mafia and organized crime.

Of coarse now this has me thinking about all the most cinematic firearms. Pistols is a toss up between the Colt 45 Single Action Army Revolver and the Colt 1911. While the Western has lost some of it's appeal over the years, I think the "Peacemaker" is on most people's minds when it comes to revolvers. The Colt 1911 has been used almost as frequently in movies as it has been in service. Although I think the Berrata might be moving to replace it in the semi-automatic pistol category.

For rifles I think I am going to hearken back to the Western again, while it's rarely seen today the Winchester is till probably the most recognized rifle that your average person could identify and place. Assault Rifle is easy. It has to be the AK-47, no contest really. No assault rifle is more widely known or can be instantly equated to certain groups and feelings about such.

For pistols the one's that come to my mind are the beretta, and the Desert Eagle .50. As far as rifles go usually I think of the M1 grande, and the 30-aught-6. For assault weapons, the AK is obviously a staple, but the M-16 I would say is another common easily recognized weapon. As for shotguns, in movies I usually see a sawed off, double barrel elephant, or pump action.

WolfmanNougat

May 14, 2009
Didn't need this to convince me to see the movie, that's how good it looks from the trailer :) That said, I haven't seen it yet, but it should be an interesting watch.

On the review side of things, while the video quality is borderline garbage, it's nice to hear you talking in a more calm tone this time around compared to last week, even when mentioning ROTF. That's good; it's easier to take you seriously that way.

And yes, Batman clashing with Captain Sparrow is definitely a major selling point.

jackiebrown22222

Jun 5, 2008
And of course people fail to mention The Hurt Locker. Please, watch it, just... watch it. Best movie of the year so far for me, yes even better than Up.

And Tropic Thunder last year was just... horrible.

Spectre39

Oct 6, 2008
The thing I like the most about this movie is the timing. If I remember right, Dillinger's agenda was to punish the banks for what they did to the public at the time. It was back before the FDIC protected your savings and the banks just took your money. At one robbery Dillinger refused to take a customer's deposit and told him "We're here for the bank, we don't want your money." With our present-day economic villains like Madoff and sub-prime lenders, now has got to be the best time for this movie.

13lackfriday

Feb 10, 2009
Great work, Bob.
You were a lot more level-headed here than in your previous reviews, having something to do with the fact that you actually liked the film rather than it being a complete mockery of cinema as we know it (though your rants were equally, if not more, amusing).

I like how you can reference back to your own history with the "classics" of moviemaking and how they've had an effect upon your life.
Certainly cements your credibility as a movie critic.

jabrwock said:
carnkhan4 said:
what is it that attracts film-makers to this sub-genre ever since it first emerged in the '40's?
It's the "bad ass but still classy bad guy" type thing. 1930's gangsters were high-profile playboys, businessmen, they enjoyed fine art, built mansions, and generally acted like they were high society. Unlike most other robbers that blow it all on booze and drugs and burn out, these guys lived the high life. I mean, imagine being robbed by a guy in a suit and tie, who tips his hat to the women on the way out?
There definitely is something appealing about the complex individual who operated outside of the law, but had their own strong moral strictures...like chivalry and honesty in criminal acts (if such a thing can be said).

Frank_Sinatra_ said:
xmetatr0nx said:
than untouchables and the better guns are the MP40 and the sturmgewehr 44...
Minus the fact that the Thompson is a icon of the mafia, and criminal weapons during the Great Depression?
See guys this is where I get my suit ideas, soon I'll be buying a Thompson for it.
You got taste.

If, ever, I amass a respectable fortune, the very first purchase I will ever make will be of an authentic, period-1940s M1A1 Thompson submachine gun to mount over my fireplace.
Drum magazine or clip, whichever.

slopeslider

Mar 19, 2009
13lackfriday said:
Great work, Bob.
You were a lot more level-headed here than in your previous reviews, having something to do with the fact that you actually liked the film rather than it being a complete mockery of cinema as we know it (though your rants were equally, if not more, amusing).

I like how you can reference back to your own history with the "classics" of moviemaking and how they've had an effect upon your life.
Certainly cements your credibility as a movie critic.

jabrwock said:
carnkhan4 said:
what is it that attracts film-makers to this sub-genre ever since it first emerged in the '40's?
It's the "bad ass but still classy bad guy" type thing. 1930's gangsters were high-profile playboys, businessmen, they enjoyed fine art, built mansions, and generally acted like they were high society. Unlike most other robbers that blow it all on booze and drugs and burn out, these guys lived the high life. I mean, imagine being robbed by a guy in a suit and tie, who tips his hat to the women on the way out?
There definitely is something appealing about the complex individual who operated outside of the law, but had their own strong moral strictures...like chivalry and honesty in criminal acts (if such a thing can be said).

Frank_Sinatra_ said:
xmetatr0nx said:
than untouchables and the better guns are the MP40 and the sturmgewehr 44...
Minus the fact that the Thompson is a icon of the mafia, and criminal weapons during the Great Depression?
See guys this is where I get my suit ideas, soon I'll be buying a Thompson for it.
You got taste.

If, ever, I amass a respectable fortune, the very first purchase I will ever make will be of an authentic, period-1940s M1A1 Thompson submachine gun to mount over my fireplace.
Drum magazine or clip, whichever.
I hate to be 'THAT NERD GUY' , but a clip Is a metal, well... Clip that holds a few exposed rounds ( used primarily in older rifles like the m1 Garand). A box magazine (magazine, mag) Is the rectangular thing most every modern gun uses save bolt-action and belt fed guns.
Hehe on my local Airsoft Organization site some would crucify you for this mistake, but this Ain't a gun site.

If I had to hang a gun up it'd be an H&K Mp7A1.

slopeslider

Mar 19, 2009
Drake the Dragonheart said:
This film seems very intriguing indeed. Nice work Moviebob, like many of said, when you tone down the angry ballistic rage and constant swearing, you do your best work, and I feel you stay tons more objective and insightful when you are calm. Still, it was annoying having to pause 6-7 times trying to time it so I could see the text that was flashing on the screen, but that would be my only complaint, otherwise, keep up the good work.

Slycne said:
xmetatr0nx said:

For pistols the one's that come to my mind are the beretta, and the Desert Eagle .50. As far as rifles go usually I think of the M1 grande, and the 30-aught-6. For assault weapons, the AK is obviously a staple, but the M-16 I would say is another common easily recognized weapon. As for shotguns, in movies I usually see a sawed off, double barrel elephant, or pump action.
I think a lot of people RECOGNIZE a glock but don't know the name. It's really easy to tell even If it's being held because of the rectangular slide.

m_jim

Jan 14, 2008
HobbesMkii said:
Phew Bob, at least you didn't like Miami Vice the movie. That movie was just incredibly boring. I rarely fail to complete a watching of any movie, but I actually shut that one off, I just didn't care. And I'm glad to find out that Public Enemies is a good movie. I mean, I haven't heard anyone trash it, but no one's given it any really "YES! DILLINGER = WIN!" either. It's been the critical equivalent of a "meh."
I see so much hate for Miami Vice as "Michael Mann's only bad movie," yet no one seems to remember the fact that Last of the Mohicans consisted almost entirely of shots of Daniel Day Lewis running. Miami Vice had amazing cinematography, great gun fights, and classic, terse, Mann dialog.
I'm glad to hear that this movie is on par with Heat, which for my money is the best heist film of all time. Bob and I don't always see eye-to-eye, but I'm going to take his word for it and see this as soon as possible.

Jul 9, 2008
Drake the Dragonheart said:

Slycne said:
xmetatr0nx said:

For shotguns, SPAS-12 is up there. People might not be able to name it, but they recognize it.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
This thread has turned into a discussions about the most easily recognised guns in movies.

Good review, Bob. It felt a bit rushed, though.

milomalo

Mar 29, 2008
hi movie bob as always im glad to see you arond here and i can only hope to see you next week, well it was a good review and i cant wait to see the movie but ... the format of the "presentation" of your review did change... to my eyes it look a little bit "over produced" i like when you use your "slide show fast pace style" alot more that this "sonic animated and a little bit slower version" well that was just a coment and great work as the The GAME OVERTHINKER.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Nice looking movie and I will check it out. However...

1) You thought Collateral was great? It was more an average to me.

2) I personally didn't go and see Drag me to Hell because I hate the horror genre and don't enjoy the movies at all.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
erikvduyn said:
Now this one, I liked. Gone is the excessive swearing and shouting. Gone is everything bad basically, except the audio quality that's still less than perfect.
Gone? - HAHAHA!

Oh, it'll be back. Just wait till the next bad movie that enrages him.

SatansBestBuddy

Sep 7, 2007
More codec problems, more poor editing...

But it's not as bad as the last one, so this reveiw gets a D- for not sucking more than an F.

On the actual review, well, now I wanna see the movie, which sucks since I don't have any money.