Escape to the Movies: Public Enemies

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Public Enemies

This week MovieBob takes a refreshing look at the Michael Mann film "Public Enemies"

Watch Video

erikvduyn

The worst at Linux
Apr 2, 2008
Now this one, I liked. Gone is the excessive swearing and shouting. Gone is everything bad basically, except the audio quality that's still less than perfect.
And is it just me or did parts of the video get displayed incredibly short?

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Oooh. Movie does really look interesting, might check it when ever it opens here.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
Great review! I was actually hoping this movie would be good because all the scenes around the courthouse were shot in my hometown. I lived about 2 miles from the courthouse where Dillinger escaped, and Johnny Depp was there shooting for a month or so.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
You know something? I stopped watching the second I knew this was going to be another Transformers fanboy bitchfest. Get the fuck over it!

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Nice review. I saw this film on wednesday (in a nice cool, cinema. Eat that, heatwave!) and thoroughly enjoyed it. I felt it was a bit talkier than your average gangster movie but a lot shootier than the advert implies. My only critcism of it is the godawful wobbly camera stuff. I mean, people get payed to pretend they've never held one before.

Interestingly enough they use of a lot of the real places in film, for example...
When Dillinger is killed in the film, it's in the same place as he was in real life.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Chipperz said:
You know something? I stopped watching the second I knew this was going to be another Transformers fanboy bitchfest. Get the fuck over it!
He mentioned it, what, twice? You get over it- ignore the Transformers parts if you don't want to hear them. He likes to make connections between different films, k? Its a solid reviewing strategy.

NewGeekPhilosopher

Feb 25, 2009
Bob, I think you did a great job on this one, you probably know a lot more about John Dillinger and that era than I do, and it's probably the case that this isn't the best summer season of films, but this Public Enemies movie could be worth a watch even though I don't generally like gangster movies.

What impresses me is that the footage shown really looks fresh and high production quality. Maybe my brother will take me to see this.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I was considering seeing this anyway.

That said, anyone want to sign my petition to have Michael Bay cast out of America with a rocket up his ass?

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
It does look fairly promising, I'll have to go see it.

Can anyone explain what it is about gangster films, that makes them such a popular choice for film-makers?
I'm not complaining...there have been some real blinders - you only have to go back a few years to the departed for an example (though internal affairs was better than its remake) and there was even a slight mob element in dark knight but what is it that attracts film-makers to this sub-genre ever since it first emerged in the '40's?

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
carnkhan4 said:
what is it that attracts film-makers to this sub-genre ever since it first emerged in the '40's?
It's the "bad ass but still classy bad guy" type thing. 1930's gangsters were high-profile playboys, businessmen, they enjoyed fine art, built mansions, and generally acted like they were high society. Unlike most other robbers that blow it all on booze and drugs and burn out, these guys lived the high life. I mean, imagine being robbed by a guy in a suit and tie, who tips his hat to the women on the way out?

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
For some reason I didn't really feel as if this was the nitpicking Moviebob I know. Sure it might have been that the review was short but I feel like I got an overall view of the movie, not a breakdown on all the parts that went into the movie.

Emblem64

Jun 16, 2009
The movie was pretty good I must say, though at times it felt like it was dragging on a bit. Still I'd recommend it over anything else playing right now.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Three cheers for Johnny Depp who has finally escaped Disney's clutches and made a good movie....That wasen't a musical.