Escape to the Movies: Raven

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
What was up with the mario take my money thing at the end? Is it a new mario game? I get the top circle is a tanooki suit, but what's with the bottom circle? Also, no Avengers review? Not that I'm angry or anything, just thought you'd be all over that review

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
and here I was thinking that movie was a remake of Raven
you know, the Erik Draven variety

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Neither impression was great, but your surface readings of the two series were even worse. Backwards, even.

The number of original series episodes where they actually explored planets "for the hell of it" are a small minority. Far more started with i) rescue missions, ii) responding to distress signals, iii) diplomatic missions, or iv) transporting medical supplies. Moreover, there was no threat of galactic war in TOS because forced the Federation and the Klingons to play nice [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Errand_of_Mercy].

Meanwhile, on TNG, the Federation regularly had to contend with powers that were roughly equal to them: the Klingons, the Romulans, the Cardassians and the Ferengi. The last time the Federation went to war with one of these, it was a bloody mess they were still cleaning up at the end of Deep Space Nine! So of course the Federation always tried the diplomatic option first! Is it a coincidence that the a foe immune to diplomacy [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Best_of_Both_Worlds_%28Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation%29]?

/nerdrant

Bigwig

Dec 20, 2009
"My money, just take it."
I don't understand what there is to get so excited about. I mean yeah, the raccoon tail thing. I assume you have SMB3, you could just go play that instead of spending $40.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Furioso said:
What was up with the mario take my money thing at the end? Is it a new mario game? I get the top circle is a tanooki suit, but what's with the bottom circle? Also, no Avengers review? Not that I'm angry or anything, just thought you'd be all over that review
1. The thing at the bottom is the P Bar and Marios Racoon tail. Both are from SMB3, which is Bobs favorite game.

2. No Avengers mayabe because he wants to do it on the release date.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
RaikuFA said:
Furioso said:
1. The thing at the bottom is the P Bar and Marios Racoon tail. Both are from SMB3, which is Bobs favorite game.

Today IS release date.

Also, your Picard was worst. And I don't get what you are getting at with the whole "we are in the future now"...

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
hermes200 said:
RaikuFA said:
Furioso said:

Today IS release date.

Also, your Picard was worst. And I don't get what you are getting at with the whole "we are in the future now"...
In America, the release date is May 4th. I know everyone got it earlier though.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
MovieBob said:
Raven

MovieBob presents the telltale review of Raven.

Watch Video
Bob, I hate to be THAT guy, but on the Stallone thing, the rumor later became Viggo Mortensen as Edgar Allen Poe. Now that movie, I would watch. Of Course, Stallone could be good in a "The Room" sense if he was Edgar Allen Poe.

As for this movie...Well, I really wished it sounded better, but hey, next week is the Avengers, right? Right?

Also: Your Shatner reminded me of Fred Tatasciore's William Shatner on Robot Chicken. If nothing else, it was a good try.

Shadow-Fox

Nov 11, 2009
Your Picard definitely sucks more, if only for the reason that a Kirk is about as hard to pull off as a Christopher Walken or Stallone (preferably the Dredd one).

One other thing I'd like to know. have you seen Iron Sky yet? Space Nazis from moon invading earth. a premise so silly not even Micheal Bay would have agreed directing it.

rickthetrick

Jun 19, 2009
Cage as Poe? I guess I'd pay a dollar to see that. It would have been better than Cusack for sure. They should have cast David Bowie though.

I love me some Paltrow.

Good day sir.

ManupBatman

Jun 23, 2011
I don't think we even can say are in the Next Gen stage, I'd say we are in DS9. Space is gritty and scary and the only reason to go anywhere new is if someone else wants to get there first.

Maybe we'll devolve into the Kirk generation and over saturate all the colors.

cymonsgames

Dec 17, 2010
A little bit of "The Big Picture" there provided the only thing worth talking about.

Your Kirk was better.

I feel like we've skipped OTS in more ways than one. For instance we've gone from space flight by the seat of our pants to sleek and smooth everything. I bought a new router this month and even the cheap ones look like they're made by BMW. I suppose the reboot brought a little bit of that to the old series, but when Scotty said "she canna take it" I didn't believe it the same way as when the old cardboard set was rattling.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Falseprophet said:
Snip

/nerdrant
We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.

OT: Sad, the previews for this movie really did make it seem like it could've been interesting. Oh well. Next week I'll need to avoid this section of the internet, I suppose, because I'm still of the devout opinion that The Avengers has far too much on its plate to be a great movie. Good, possibly, decent almost assuredly, but I fear that it has too much to try and accomplish and it won't be able to do it effectively. Of course, MovieBob is going to either be blinded by fanboyish glee or blinded by fanboyish hatred depending on how good/bad it is, which will color the review and subsequently flood the comments section with snarky, holier-than-thou "Told you so"s.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I think your Kirk was a bit better, but generally Kirk impressions are better, and usually a LOT more fun.

Bob, I asked this on your Big Picture video this week too, but I'm gonna ask again just in case you're reading this. Whether you love The Avengers or hate it, please keep it limited. If you go into any sort of fit, good or bad, we're never gonna hear the end of it from people on these forums...like me...or that guy -points- that guy's a jerk...

Anyway, I do kinda wish you'd spent that extra minute talking about Pirates because that's a movie that I actually would like to see, and would've liked to hear some critique of.

Oh well, see ya next time.

...for The Avengers...I'm pretty excited about that. Though I may hold off on watching your video until I actually see the movie

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
JaredXE said:
I was going to say thank you Bob for reviewing this movie, but John Cusack not a good over-the-top actor? Sooo his characters in A Sure Thing or Gross Pointe Blank weren't OtT? I mean, wild and wacky he ain't, but he regularly pulls off weird/intense/unreal.
Yeah, he does quirky or slightly strange pretty good, but not over the top. And I think if the rest of the movie had been crafted to support his subdued style it could have worked.

Bob! I wish you had used the extra time to talk about the Pirate movie that released today.

Sep 14, 2009
heh, wasn't going to see this...but now seeing that you hated it?

well, this movie might just be movie of the year for me then.

i'll check it out this weekend if i have time.