Escape to the Movies: Raven

Mathak

The Tax Man Cometh
Mar 27, 2009
trollpwner said:
What is the gore section he's talking about in the film?
From the footage in the review, I'm guessing the part with the pendulum-blade, since I vaguely remember something like that in a Saw movie.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
I have to wonder why Nicolas Cage wasn't cast as Poe. This seems like a movie that would've been perfect for him.

Definitely would've got me interested.

Shippy

Yukkuri shiteitte ne!
Apr 14, 2010
Halfstache said:
MovieBob said:
He's the only famous writer of scary stuff that everyone in the audience is guaranteed to have heard of other than Stephen King
Ouch. No love for Lovecraft, I see.

Edit for clarification: Not particularly no love from you specifically, but no love for him in general.
That was my first thought too.

My second thought was I can't wait till they make the movie "Maine" a film about Stephen King living through an adventure inspired by his books... However given that most Stephen King books are basically this premise already (A writer you say? in Maine you say? Inconceivable!) we would have a movie that was so self referential it would be like "that bit" in Being John Malkovich. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6Fuxkinhug]

Our only hope is that one day we will see a movie about H P Lovecraft battling an evil cult and his own sanity as his latest book takes on a life of itself...

Presumably in a box set with At the Mountains of Madness... *sigh*

Badger01

May 20, 2009
Oh my god, no one gives a shit. it's just another mario but this time he has a tale.
Still, I suppose it must be exciting to have something in a mario game that HASN'T come up in a thousand versions of the same game already.

Halfstache

Feb 3, 2012
Shippy said:
Our only hope is that one day we will see a movie about H P Lovecraft battling an evil cult and his own sanity as his latest book takes on a life of itself...
I would totally watch a movie about Lovecraft accidentally finding the Necronomicon and trying to stop an evil cult's plans to summon one of the deities. It would require him to read from the book in order to gain the knowledge to stop them, but at the cost of his sanity. His attempts to warn the public will fall on deaf ears as "fiction". In the end, he'll manage to succeed but lose every shred of sanity left in him, and the twist ending will be that Nyarlathotep gave him the book in the first place.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
Literally nothing sucks worse than your Picard.

I'm glad that the Raven sucks. I'm on a bit of a budget for the next few weeks and I really was hoping that I wouldn't have to go see two movies.

OneOfTheMichael's

Jul 26, 2010
Wow Like all of these comments are about picard and star trek for the less than a minute reference he made.
I actually saw the movie yesterday and it really wasn't that bad. I don't think you really gave it to many convincing reasons for why it "sucked".
I liked it and didn't see it as a terrible movie. Not excellent but not bad overall. Although i agree the love interest thing was kinda pretty stupid.

runnernda

Feb 8, 2010
burningdragoon said:
So these past couple reviews have really seemed like tired and bored Bob is doing the reviews. I'm guessing that's just for emphasis, but I'm also thinking it's on purpose so next week when Bob is going to be super excited, it well sound if even more super excited. Yeah? Yeah.
He's saving his excitement for this week's Avengers review, methinks.

OT: I didn't really have any interest in this because of the rewriting of history. It's the same reason I refused to see Anonymous. So thank you for verifying my decision.

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
I think it's more like we skipped, idunno, "zipping around the fucking galaxy in luxury" straight to "oh neat, touch screens".

also...

"Project Glass, hm, where have I seen that before?" - LeVar Burton at last weekend's Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo

"And I have an android phone." - Wil Wheaton

"..." - Brent Spiner

DiMono

Mar 18, 2010
I'm sorry, what? You think a movie about the father of gothic horror isn't worth watching because the lead actor played him like he's the father of gothic horror?

The fuck is wrong with you?

This movie is no more of a revisionist history film than Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer is. It has nothing to do with trying to make Poe seem like his death was any more than it was, and everything to do with saying "I wonder what would have happened if..." It's not meant to be taken as serious docudrama, it's fantasy, meant to be enjoyed for what it is and nothing more.

Pull your head out of your ass and realize that just because a movie wasn't done the way you wanted it done, that doesn't make it bad. It seems like every movie you pan, the video can be summed up as "it's not what I was expecting, therefore it was terrible." It's tiresome, it's intellectually dishonest, and it makes not care what you think.

It doesn't work that way. Learn it; accept it; deal with it.

vortexgods

Apr 24, 2008
MDSnowman said:
vortexgods said:
Wait... has no one heard of "The Black Cat" with Jeffrey Combs...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzA2NHwYtWA

Oh well, it wasn't a real movie just a Masters of Horror, still...
Without even thinking I watched that today on Netflix...

That was bad, really bad. Unintentionally hilarious in how his wife could never seem to stay dead though.
Heh... yes, most of the episodes are like that....

vortexgods

Apr 24, 2008
Shippy said:
Halfstache said:
MovieBob said:
He's the only famous writer of scary stuff that everyone in the audience is guaranteed to have heard of other than Stephen King
Ouch. No love for Lovecraft, I see.

Edit for clarification: Not particularly no love from you specifically, but no love for him in general.
That was my first thought too.

My second thought was I can't wait till they make the movie "Maine" a film about Stephen King living through an adventure inspired by his books... However given that most Stephen King books are basically this premise already (A writer you say? in Maine you say? Inconceivable!) we would have a movie that was so self referential it would be like "that bit" in Being John Malkovich. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6Fuxkinhug]

Presumably in a box set with At the Mountains of Madness... *sigh*
I think we already have that and it was called Misery.