Escape to the Movies: Red Tails

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
This is a 5 min review and you don't really say what the movie is about untill we hit the 3 min mark. This is a strange review, almost feels more like a Big Picture than Escape to the Movies.

Craftybonds

Raging Lurker
Feb 6, 2010
I think movie bob insulted a lot of his fan base on this one. People dislike george lucas because he's been repeatedly involved in some of the worst big budget movies from the last 15 years. You can't blame people for recognizing patterns. Nerds can definitely be biased quite often, but there's a whole lot of people who will do their best to ignore their personal bias if they can, because nerds tend to be more self aware of their bias once they get out of the 10-15 year old range, and start handling things a bit more maturely.

I was actually quite interested in this movie a few weeks ago, after watching george lucas talk about it on the daily show, but then he started talking about starwars, and this definitely made me rage a little bit. i'll still go see it, but don't assume that everyone in your audience is younger than 16.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
sailor_960 said:
George Lucas has my undying respect no matter how many Special Editions he attempts to shove onto shelves. The man is a visionary whose work changed the movie industry for the better. Is he a good director? The jury is out on that one, but he is a brilliant filmmaker. How many other directors out there have actually gone out of their way to create the technology required for their dream project, solely for the purpose of creating said project? The only others that I can think of are James Cameron and possibly Peter Jackson.
Im pretty sure James just wants the money....

But yeah, i just came back from seeing this and i can say, george lucas deserved NON of the flak he has been getting.
He made a fun film with good characters and a simple yet fun story. it wasnt too cgi heavy and it very little bad things to it and i about teared up at the end (no spoilers)

I hope George doesn't quit the industry yet. he has really good ideas.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Craftybonds said:
I think movie bob insulted a lot of his fan base on this one. People dislike george lucas because he's been repeatedly involved in some of the worst big budget movies from the last 15 years. You can't blame people for recognizing patterns. Nerds can definitely be biased quite often, but there's a whole lot of people who will do their best to ignore their personal bias if they can, because nerds tend to be more self aware of their bias once they get out of the 10-15 year old range, and start handling things a bit more maturely.

I was actually quite interested in this movie a few weeks ago, after watching george lucas talk about it on the daily show, but then he started talking about starwars, and this definitely made me rage a little bit. i'll still go see it, but don't assume that everyone in your audience is younger than 16.
um, he's only done the prequels and indianna jones in the last fifteen years, and they are not even a fraction as bad as people ***** about.

No, my friend, people hate lucas because of the dumbest bullshit reasons.
"a special edition of star wars!? HANG HIM!!"
(completely ignoreing that people like James Cameron re released a single movie 6 times in one year and nobody says a damn thing.)

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Moeez said:
BanicRhys said:
Oooh, Moviebob just told off the prequel haters and made a Plinkett reference. He has just replaced Jim Sterling at the top of my respect list.

It takes a lot to make me want to see a movie, so needless to say, I won't be seeing this one. Not because it's made by Lucas, a film's director/producer/whatever have little bearing on my opinion of a film, I'm just not into historical war movies.
Damn, you're missing out on some great films. Saving Private Ryan, Kingdom's Heaven (Director's Cut), Thin Red Line, Platoon, Red Cliff, Braveheart, Spartacus, and so on.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/jettjett/vlcsnap-113658.jpg
Replace platoon with Apocalypse Now and FMJ and you got a perfect list.....also, green berets, longest day, and hamburger hill.

Craftybonds

Raging Lurker
Feb 6, 2010
Jegsimmons said:
Craftybonds said:

um, he's only done the prequels and indianna jones in the last fifteen years, and they are not even a fraction as bad as people ***** about.

No, my friend, people hate lucas because of the dumbest bullshit reasons.
"a special edition of star wars!? HANG HIM!!"
(completely ignoreing that people like James Cameron re released a single movie 6 times in one year and nobody says a damn thing.)
I'm 22. I saw star wars episode I and loved it (when i was 9). i knew about the original trilogy, but had never seen it. 2002 came around, and i saw the episode II and was severely disappointed. i decided to rewatch episode I for funsies, and didn't like it at all the second time around. it was only then that i decided to watch the first three movies, and loved all of them. The first two episodes and most of the third one are awful movies. they have countless plot loopholes, terrible acting, and awful dialogue. Not to mention the ludicrous use of CGI that add nothing to the movies. They were terrible movies long before Mr. Plinkett came around and pointed out everything people hadn't realized themselves.

I'll admit that me stating they were some of the worst movies of the last 15 is quite a bit of an exaggeration, but all four of those movies were undeniable disappointments. Crystal skull not nearly as much as the others (i actually enjoyed the beginning of that movie quite a bit), but my point remains that bob shouldn't go out and assume that everyone and their brother is going to automatically hate this movie regardless of its contents. In fact, from reading a plethora of reviews of this movie by both professional and amateur critics due to my genuine interest in this movie, it sounds like movie bob had a positive bias towards this film before seeing it, out of disliking/hate of the star wars fanboys behavior for the last 10 years. Bob has done this before. Watch his red state review, i've never seen him sound so predeterminedly biased against a film before.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
sailor_960 said:
George Lucas has my undying respect no matter how many Special Editions he attempts to shove onto shelves. The man is a visionary whose work changed the movie industry for the better. Is he a good director? The jury is out on that one, but he is a brilliant filmmaker. How many other directors out there have actually gone out of their way to create the technology required for their dream project, solely for the purpose of creating said project? The only others that I can think of are James Cameron and possibly Peter Jackson.
You forgot Steven Spielberg

Just got back from seeing the film, I'd have to agree with Bob, it is definitely a Rah Rah Military flick, and it probably won't win any academy awards, but I really enjoyed it and recommend it to anyone reading this. (except maybe if you are German)

EgonCom

Aug 5, 2009
Indignator said:
LaBambaMan said:
Actually Bob, if I may;

I'd say the Tuskegee Airmen got quite a good film made about them the the horrors they faced both from the enemy and from their own government in the 1995 film "The Tuskegee Airmen" staring Laurence Fishburne, Cuba Gooding Jr.(who is also in Red Tails), Allen Payne, Malcom Jamal-Warner and John Lithgow to name a few.
Briney- said:
If I recall, The Tuskegee Airmen (1995) was quite good. I might take the time to see this one as well.
Nautical Honors Society said:
MovieBob said:
Red Tails

George Lucas chronicles the Tuskegee Airmen.

Watch Video
Pretty sure they've made a movie on this subject before Bob...give me a moment

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/tuskegee_airmen/

Yup, here it is.

And oh look! It was aparently good.

So, I am not sure what you mean about this topic not being covered before...

OT: I thought this movie could have been good, but it was just so pathetically marketed for me to have any interest in it, that being said, I say we are all a little hard on Lucas now and again...although his interview on Jon Stewart made him seem impossibly ignorant.
EgonCom said:
Boviebob said:
"Red Tails" gives Tuskegee Airmen action movie which they never get back in the days...

What about The Tuskegee Airmen [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114745/]?
(and You call yourself a movie critic :p)
Snooder said:
EgonCom said:
Boviebob said:
"Red Tails" gives Tuskegee Airmen action movie which they never get back in the days...

I still have no idea how MovieBob could do the entire review without ONCE mentioning the movie about the exact same characters, with the same basic plotline, and starring the same lead actor.

He could just have been trolling all of us, of course.
I'm taking bets that on the next Big Picture or Escape to the Movies Bob will lash back at everyone that pointed this out (I include myself in this - for the length of the entire review I was thinking, "What about the one with Laurence Fishourne?"). You know, something like, "Ooh, you know of an obscure made-for-TV movie made almost twenty years ago, and you had to make a post boasting about it? Aren't you a walking encyclopedia of cinematic history."
Yep, taken that into account :D

gphjr14 said:
EgonCom said:
Boviebob said:

He's referring to a movie made for theaters.
and

ImSkeletor said:
EgonCom said:
Boviebob said:

Sorry but TV MOVIES don't count.
I have two answers to that:
1) Says who? I don't see this rule
?
2) Don't care. "Tuskegee Airmen" was good, so it still counts :p

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Based on other reviews going around I will probably give this a miss, at least in theaters.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
While I have disliked things that Lucas has done in recent years when I heard about this movie I hoped that it would turn out all right and that the influence of George Lucas would be a positive one and in that sense I'm routing for him (not sure if I spelt that right).

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
I realize this is late, but this video was terrible, less than half of it was reviewing the actual movie, and if you want to go off on tangents, that is what your second column is for.

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
This was the first Movie Bob review I watched.

The thing that struck me was "If you didn't like the prequels you must be a butthurt manchild!"

I believe this will be the last Movie Bob review I watch as well.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
geier said:
Some day, i will travel to the US and test your drinking water for creativitydestroying bacteria.

Again Nazis ?
Really, it is time some country commits a warcrime with AT LEAST 100 Million innocent dead civilians, so someone else then Nazis can be the bad guys.
Do you have other suggestions for the villains in a movie chronicling the struggle of the first US African American fighter pilot squadron? You know, since they fought in World War II and everything, in the European Theater? Where we were fighting the Nazis?

Dr Killpatient

Jun 18, 2008
John Funk said:
Do you have other suggestions for the villains in a movie chronicling the struggle of the first US African American fighter pilot squadron? You know, since they fought in World War II and everything, in the European Theater? Where we were fighting the Nazis?
Yeah, I got one.

How about RACIST SEGREGATION POLITICS in the United States??

These men fought for USA but when the fighting was over they went back to society of separate drinking fountains, driving at the back of the bus, Jim Crow laws, and working for a minimum wage.

But of course Lucas isn't gonna do something like that. It's too hard for him. Nazis are so easy. And Lucas is too big of a coward.

So keep stuffing that popcorn down your face and watch the Xplosions.

MikeN

Nov 5, 2009
maninahat said:
I don't think I've ever met a single person who's claimed that they won't see Red Tails because it had something to do with George lucas. Even if they are out there, who cares what they think? Besides Bob, I mean.
Yeah, I was disappointed that Bob felt the need to invent this strawman of an imagined Red Tails backlash just so he could go on a rant about anti-Lucas fanboys. If Red Tails had been directed by Lucas himself then maybe,maybe I could see the scenario that Bob depicts happening. But Bob's irrelevant rant about Lucas haters makes it look like he's the one who can't get over the prequels not the critics.

Amarsir

Jul 7, 2009
MikeN said:
Yeah, I was disappointed that Bob felt the need to invent this strawman of an imagined Red Tails backlash just so he could go on a rant about anti-Lucas fanboys.
Bob needs enemies to attack to make his reviews seem bolder. Remember it was Bill O'Reilly's fault that Friends with Benefits was predictable and action movies are inflicted on us by "dude"-spewing fratboys. I really wish he'd outgrow it because even somewhere as base as the IMDB forums people can disagree in mature ways. I'd expect better from a prominent review.

Since Bob broached the subject however, the "7 part series" guys did just put up a review of Red Tails over on redlettermedia. And while they disliked it they are quite specific as to why and did so without insulting audiences who might happen to disagree..

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
Tangouser said:
Been real excited for this one! (the bad reviews that is). But wait? It's not bad?
DVS BSTrD said:
The marketing for this film seemed rather shallow, glad it doesn't suck.
So George, this is what you've been holding out on us?
No... It sucks. It really does.

If you really want this story watch the HBO special; the existence of which George Lucas has conveniently ignored (Along with the 70s Blackspoitation phenomenon) in his his bullshit "all studios are racist" marketing campaign. Really George? It wasn't that they thought it sucked and you were asking for too large a cut?

He's marketing this as telling an important story but what is actually presented is clunky dialog and cliche after cliche married to Lucas's now trademark too clean CGI that ruined the prequals.

This film with break even only because he mobilised the Oprah fanbase.

But I don't believe that this is intentional cynicism on Lucas's part though. He acts more like a high functioning autistic who is unable to understand the vagaries of human behaviour than like a grasping businessman (Though his ruthless monetisation of the Star Wars franchise suggests differently.). It's like when he was forced to go outside to shoot his movies he was forced to interact with people and could accept that input. Now he sits at a computer and demands that things are shinier, and has about as much knowledge about how human beings act as a pencil.