Escape to the Movies: Red

Orcboyphil

Dec 25, 2008
Yes, yes we still are.

I've always said that the best story to adapt from Dredd is "America". Thought in this current climate I can't see many studios greenlighting a film in which a group of terrorists trying to blow up the Statue of Liberty are the good guys.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Honestly, that movies looks kinda... stupid. It's basically Shanghai Noon without the humor (and a dash of Crouching Tiger Hidden Oh Fuck You).

This is the strangest paradox I've ever seen in movies: Ninjas by association are inherently the most awesome thing since Alamut's Hashashins and yet every single movie with them either sucked or was just... mediocre. Even the retardedly-titled Ninja Assassin was just a bland violence flick.

What the fuck, Hollywood?

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Hellen Mirren is still kinda hot.

Weird.

I'll have to go see this, on the cast alone and that cast kicking ass. Kinda like The Expendables. Dun dun dun!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Drakmeire said:
My favorite meme to come out of this year was inspired by splice. It's Adrian Brody... well, being Adrien Brody
<youtube=ygI-2F8ApUM>
and no I don't know why it's so awesome either
This is officially the most awesome thing that has ever existed!

CronoT

May 15, 2010
As a game, Uncharted works really well. As a MOVIE, on the other hand, it comes off as a rather bland rip-off of Indiana Jones. Also, HAWP already thoroughly scathed Uncharted II as being, point for point, a knock-off of FireFly. If they did an Uncharted movie as a Direct-to-DVD Production of a Sci-Fi Channel movie, that might work, since the studio heads wouldn't be chopping up plot and story to make it appeal to a mass market audience.

As for Karl Urban: He's slowly worked his way up from rather campy fare to some serious roles these days. Who here remembers that Karl Urban was in 'Chronicles of Riddick' and 'Pathfinder'? Also, I think Karl Urban was one of the best actors in the Star Trek reboot. True, the movie was almost a self=parody, but Urban did a job that would have made DeForest Kelly proud. I can easily see him being grouped with some of the Hollywood Action/Adventure Elite in 5-10 years time.

Decabo

Dec 16, 2009
I'm pretty upset about the Uncharted movie, mainly because Uncharted 2 is one of the greatest videogames of all time, and trying to cram all of its great writing and amazing setpiece moments into one fifth of the time wouldn't turn out too well.

WarpGhost

Jan 5, 2009
Red sounds like fun. Also ninjas.

But on the main news... Karl Urban as Judge Dredd?

Well, he doesn't have the chin for it, but as a Brit I have no problem with him in the role. Much like fellow antipodean Marton Csokas, I really like Mr Urban. Also like Mr Csokas*, I really have no idea why...

I just do, ok!

* I didn't need your review of ALice in Wonderland to know it was a crappy movie; the fact that they hired Marton and then promptly didn't use him after the first 2 minutes was all the warning I required...

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Well... I know what ninja movie Renee and I are seeing next. :D
Good news for RED too, I really want to see this now.

Oh! I'm still holding to the fact that Nathan Fillion is wrong for Nathan Drake. IMHO Joe Flanigan is still the best person they can cast for Drake. Hell, he looks much closer to Drake than Fillion does, plus if they cast Flanigan they can re-cast Claudia Black. Those two have some acting history together.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
You should definitely see Harry Brown, Bob. Michael Caine wrecking face in an awesome revenge movie that makes you think as well? How can you not see it.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
Drakmeire said:
In reality "Ninjas, Da-- *head cut off by said ninja*
I honestly think there have been better quotes in movies lately for memeic use.
My favorite meme to come out of this year was inspired by splice. It's Adrian Brody... well, being Adrien Brody
<youtube=ygI-2F8ApUM>
and no I don't know why it's so awesome either
For some reason after watching that I am now totally ok with Adrien Brody playing Doctor Who in a big budget hollywood movie version.

The Imp

Nov 9, 2009
Bob, you might want to rephrase that one line. The movie is not very loosely based on the, MOTHERFUCKING AWESOME!!, comic book - it shits all over the comic book in every way imaginable. Just like Kick Ass did. The comic book features a anti-hero more cynical and violent then The Punisher himself. A guy that shot JFK and Martin Luther King. The very embodiment of an ice cold professional killer who would burn women and children if it was part of his job. Turning a character like this into a likeable action grand daddy is just wrong.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Ninja movie, AWESOME!

Wonder if the ninjas fight their way across the pirate infested waters of the Caribbean. Pirates, cowboys and ninjas. All we need now is zombies and female elves and we got the internets wet dream.

pigmy wurm

Nov 18, 2009
wow I had not heard of this at all, but it looks interesting.

Regarding Nathan Filian in an Uncharted movie: it would basically be just Indiana Jones with an arrogant and dickish main character, and I can see Filian makeing that really enjoyable. Yeah it is a generic Indiana Jones rip off (and considering Indiana Jones it's self was made to be generic that is saying something) I could see this being another example of "hey is this movie film actually good?"

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
A Tasty Burger said:
First. Oh wait ninja'd. Damn.
Oh well done sir, mighty impressive.

And awesome I was hoping this would be good...I'm now happy.

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
So, I'm going to see Red, what else is new?

And the Judge Dredd movie is delicious culty one-liner madness. I love that thing.

Then again, I was never the biggest Dredd fan. Apart from the premise that is, bunch of judge/jury/executioner guys and gals running around in some distopian future? Cool. The way the comic actually runs never lined up to the hype going on in my head, so I've only got a few issues.

Which is why I pray there's never going to be an Inquisitor when the eventual Warhammer 40K movie comes out. There's no way they can do something like that justice.

Get it? Justice?

Exterminatus ya fraggers!

Uncharted movie is a complete waste of time. Like Prince of Persia its a game based on a type of movie. Its probably not going to be all that bad, maybe the next best video game movie, but its just going over ground that's been tread a million times since King Solomon's Mines or what have you.

deckai

Oct 26, 2009
JinxyKatte said:
Anyone tell me what film that was with the action chick?? I kinda wanna see it.

If I'm not mistake, this would be "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" with Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie.