Escape to the Movies: Resident Evil: Afterlife

Dr. Danger

Let's Talk Lobotomy
Dec 24, 2008
WhiteTigerShiro said:
And you almost always have the option to see a film in 2D so I don't see why the minority is content on complaining about 3D. In case you don't like it, there's the alternative available for you. Which is more than I can say about shoddy films that don't even have a 3D version. If anything the minority is still catered to.

Mind you, that's how I prefer it but it's worth taking note of.

Gincairn

Jan 14, 2010
Were we watching the same movie?

First off I should say that I liked the RE series, including the games, films and books but I just can't bring myself to like this film.

Firstly, there is no story, just a few brief seconds of pointless exposition linking each (badly done) action scene to the next, it leaves it wide open for another sequel that (if this is what to expect of the franchise) would be better going straight to DVD.

There were various "wire-fu" sequences that were so obvious they might as well have left the wires in the shot and the whole thing felt like a real waste of a franchise.

The Las Plagas make an appearance (specifically the huge executioner bastard from 4 and 5) with no explanation as to what they are or why they are different from normal T-Virus victims, Wesker appears and seems to be acted by a soggy cardboard cut-out, Chris Redfield puts in an appearance although he might as well not have bothered and the only plot elements that made the film series in any way interesting gets written out so quickly that it might as well never have happened, the whole thing reeks of a quickly put together cash-in, with the exception that we know it wasn't quickly put together at all.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
I still have to watch the third movie. Not sure if I want to, but whatever. I decently enjoyed the first two since I'm very lax with my standards. I totally forgot what I wanted to say now because my dad came up and started talking about how I have gray hair because I watch anime and play video games. Way to go, dad.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
Ah, now I remember. I believe the record is that the movie continuity is completely separate from the games. I forget where I heard that and I'll have to check again if you're skeptical, but it makes a hell of a lot more sense than trying to tie them together.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
once again I completely disagree, the first movie was the best and every movie since then has been a steady decline into complete shit. And his taste in games is also shit if he thinks Other M is good.

Thermatic21

Apr 15, 2009
bob im sorry to say this but from a fan's point of view the resident evil movies were never good and the only decent ones were the first and second because they were close to the games.The people createing these new ones know that they are failing with comming up with new ideas and now they ahve to rip off the games and it sickens me because of how they have tryed and introduced all the old characters from the game into a realy crappy movie that trys to be the 5th game.

Diegoheavens

Feb 20, 2011
I think we need to make certain directors disappear forever (wink wink) Micheal Bay, Anderson, and M. Night. But mostly Anderson because Im a HUGE fan and yes I cant believe Milla Jovovich married that guy, its like how I felt with Bonham Carter married Tim Burton but I digress. We must make them disappear, even if its just one of them, ahem, Anderson (wink wink) eh you get the idea. Or atleast let George Romero do one, if we do that, im sure it wont suck, frankly he should have done them all, is he even still alive? If not, dig him up, duct tape a moving cam to his head and put him on the set and it will be a much more riveting movie than anything Anderson tried to do with RE series.

Triviumaddicted

Aug 23, 2009
I'm definitely a fan of the game series, but to be honest I only liked the first Resident Evil movie. It was actually creepy and it didn't needlessly throw in things from the games just to attempt to tie the movies to the games. I just can't forgive Afterlife for introducing Albert Wesker and killing him off in the same movie, that to me just ruined it. Also they casted Chris pretty horribly. I mean he looks like Chris from RE1, but they are using zombies from RE5...so...um...wtf. I wish they would just drop the whole thing, start over and concentrate on making a good movie, and on integrating the core aspects that made the games so great. As in, ya know, HORROR and SURVIVAL. (and by survival I don't mean a group of people hold up in some place that slowly and predictably get knocked off one by one. The only RE movie that did it well was the first one by making the characters interesting without getting too attached to them so you are still routing for the zombies and keeping the audience in the dark so you learn as the characters learn) Example: the iconic part with the lasers, you could see none of those umbrella SWAT guys saw that coming, hehe.