Escape to the Movies: Resident Evil: Afterlife

chaos order

Jan 27, 2010
nvr seen any of these movies, but albert wesker looks awesome. probably cause he looks like an agent and i like em to

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Can't say that I'm anxious to see it, but I'll probably end up watching it at some point. Nice to know it won't likely be totally terrible when I do see it.

Bloodeye

Aug 25, 2009
Meh. Not going to rush out and see it but I'll probably catch it eventually.

Incidentally, you actually thought Metroid: Other M was good MovieBob? I'm going to have to respectfully disagree and continue to hope the horrible thing gets retconned out of existence.

ForensicYOYO

Jun 12, 2010
I watched all of them. I think they're are fun but nothing really worth talking about after. BTW I cant believed you didn't like the FPS Metroids. They were awesome! of corse you can never say there're better the the originals but they were great to me.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
The Ambrosian said:
It annoys me because if they have nothing to do with RE just don't call it RE...
it has zombies and the general idea is SHOOT THEM! or alternatively RUN FROM THEM! seems pretty much like Resident Evil to me.

and now that they have wesker and the executioner it gets pretty close to RE5

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
>_<

They're going to make another after this one?... I thought 4 was supposed to be the final & we'd never have to hear about this version again...

Curse you Resident Evil movies (except Degeneration which was good) for barely being barely watchable!... And curse my book like mentality for not putting the series down... Now I'll be off to see this film.

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
ghii3 said:
FIRST!!!!
BANNED!!!

OT: I actually like the Resident Evil movies not the best movies out there but i think they are enjoyable to watch. I wasn't too keen on this one though cause it looks like it's turning into The Matrix with zombies but i'm still going to check it out.

Bet the character reveal is Leon so far he's the only one from the games that hasn't been in them yet.. i think.. can't think of anyone else.
He got banned for saying "First"? Wow...

Anyway I've never seen one of these movies but if I get dragged to this one by a friend at least I'll get to see Chris Redfield.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Bob, we agree on this; #2 was bad. Laughably bad. :) Of course, I did enjoy it some, but my reasons for not liking it more than others was because, for me, the director was treading on my own hallowed ground.

See, Jill Valentine is probably my favorite female game lead character. We're talking, pre-RE5 of course. She has everything I find appealing and worth looking up to in a female lead, with none of the annoying hang ups that have dogged characters like Laura Croft (which has been, arguably, video gamings #1 woman of worth).

RE3 was a game I loved to bits because of the thrill of being chased down by the Nemesis. RE worlds version of The Unstoppable Juggernaught. The Nemesis was Jills foe. She was supposed to have squashed that thing, because it was hunting HER. Not the BS the movie fed everyone.

So I fell out of love with the RE movies right away. And yes, I did love the first RE movie. It was actually quite fun, and they did a remarkable job with such a small budget (I forget now exactly how much, but I do remember it being quite small). When RE3 (movie) came out, I was almost morally opposed to seeing it. But, I've got a friend that's big into Milla, and that dvd found its way into his dvd player one day.

So now... there's this. I agree with Bob that #3 was better than #2, but disagree that any of them were better than #1. I will abstain from #4 until such a time that a dvd finds its way into my friends dvd player.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I was thinking "The movies don't even have anything to do with RE except the name Umbrella Corp., and the occasional cameo of the characters." and honestly, when they try to tie in with the games, the movies get worse. It's summed up best at the very begining: It's better than the other 3, but that's not really saying alot.

Also: Glad to see MB liked Other M.

pigmy wurm

Nov 18, 2009
Now that I think about it Resident Evil 4 could actually make a fairly good movie, more so than the others which are just generic zombie flicks in game form. President's daughter gets kidnapped and seems to be held up in a sleepy Spanish village. A few guys go in to investigate, all but one dies and he uncovers a plot to use parasites to brainwash people, specifically the presidents daughter, and then assumably, the president himself. Their would be things that would need to be cut, but I think it would survive it.

They would just have to call it Resident Evil: has nothing to do with other movies (or the other games)

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I'm just going to let the fact that Movie Bob told me to get off my high horse slide for today.

I'm completely opposite to his views on the Resident Evil films though. I thought the first one was the best, and then it degraded into worse quality.

That said, he's right about none of them actually being all that good. The first one was passable, the second one couldn't figure out if it wanted to be scary or action packed, the third one was awful, and the forth one looks like it's going to be worse, from the shitty premise to the throwing-things-in-your-face 3D that I hate.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
I noticed the same trend, so this might be worth my time when the 2D version becomes available on Netflix. I really like MJ and appreciated Ultraviolet for seeing her kick ass in a very stylistic way even if the movie floundered here and there.

Master Chibi

Aug 27, 2010
wooty said:
I dont know about this, it seemed in the trailers like it was some sort of Matrix/Blade/Equilibrium rip off. Though after suffering through my housemates "movie night" which consisted of the first 3 RE movies, I dont think I can bring myself to sit through another brain hemorrhage. This is out
I was actually thinking of doing that this weekend.

I mean are they really THAT bad?

The Wesker stuff looks pretty cool.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
ForensicYOYO said:
I watched all of them. I think they're are fun but nothing really worth talking about after. BTW I cant believed you didn't like the FPS Metroids. They were awesome! of corse you can never say there're better the the originals but they were great to me.
ForensicYOYO said:
Haven't you ever heard of/watched his other show, The Game Overthinker?

He's a HUGE retro Nintendo fanboy and really hates FPS games.

Lizard_Charlie

Nov 24, 2009
Bob I've already posted on your Overthinker blog and in the interest of catching your attention, I'm posting here too. Have you actually played the Prime Trilogy? I really don't think that they're first person shooters. They're pretty much the same as the old 2D games only bigger, in 3D, and just happen to be played from a first person perspective and involve shooting.

The more I think about it, the less Other M sounds like a 2D retro throwback because it doesn't sound like it maintains the feel of the 2D games. It's much more linear, it has a bunch of new gameplay elements tacked on, and it isn't really in 2D correct? I'm sure it's a perfectly fine game (I haven't played it), it just doesn't sound like a very good Metroid game.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
LightspeedJack said:
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
ghii3 said:
FIRST!!!!
BANNED!!!
He got banned for saying "First"? Wow...
He'll get/he got banned for;

1) Commenting between the time the video was posted, and before the duration of the video has had a chance to finish. Example; if a video is 3 minutes long, and he comments 1 minute after the video is posted, he has not actually seen the video. Yahtzee holds the biggest ban hammer for this, and others sometimes follow suit.

2) Yes, saying "first." The forums are not a game. Commenting first, and not having any discussion value is not accepted here. It's really a stupid game to play. No one cares if you're the first person to post in a forum. It does not make a person superiour. Around here, you're a good first poster if what you say carries discussion value.

3) He probably didn't/won't get "banned," exactly. Likely, probation. Unless that was his 3rd offense bringing mod wrath.

Azure Knight-Zeo

Jun 7, 2010
ecoho said:
MovieBob said:
Resident Evil: Afterlife

This week ResidentBob gets three dimensional with Resident Evil: Afterlife.

Watch Video
ok bob love the reveiws keep them comeing but on a side note never do game reveiws please leave that to yahtzee other M was just bad....:(
Indeed, I didn't play it yet but I hear the story and voice acting are insults to the series. Also I'm finding myself hating Moviebob, anyone who says Metroid Prime sucks is no friend of mine...