Escape to the Movies: Rise of the Guardians

Bayushi_Kouya

Mar 31, 2009
Too bad 1/3 to 1/2 the plot was lifted out of a Discworld novel. If you're an adult without kids, save yourself some time and watch HOGFATHER.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
ProtoChimp said:
I have never heard of Sandman. Is that a bad thing?
He's got quite a few titles and a differing history and abilities, depending on the name they use. Orpheus is another name that sometimes get associated with him.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
A good Dreamworks movie!??, you don't say!.

I'll definitely check this one out when I get the chance to (along with Wreck-It Ralph).

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
Saw a trailer for this movie a while back and it was the first time in several years a trailer made me laugh (don't actually remember what point, though), so definitely interested in this. Hope it comes out in EU soon as well.

themilo504 said:
So the main character is called jack frost?
Great now while watching this movie I will be thinking of shin megami tensei constantly hee-ho!
I had actually forgotten about that. I can't stop thinking about the comic book series The Invisibles. Great, now the next time I re-read that, I'll be adding "hee-ho" in my head to everything.

ProtoChimp said:
He sprinkles magical sand into the eyes of children that makes them close their eyes and causes them to feel sleepy. It's basically the answer for small children to the question:"Why do we sleep?" without having to explain like science and whatnot. I believe it's originally a German thing, but I might be wrong. He's a widely known mythological figure here in Holland at any rate. Although we call him "Klaasvaak" for reasons I don't comprehend either.

fieryhotaru

Jan 3, 2010
I'm glad you liked it Bob, but you didn't talk to much about why or anything that was wrong with the film itself. This review was only three minutes long plus one minute of the first trailer. I'm obsessing over this film and I haven't seen it yet, only some clips, and I have SO much to talk about from just those! I don't care if you were to like it or hate it, I just wanted MORE.

Makhiel

Dec 15, 2010
ProtoChimp said:
Orpheus is another name that sometimes get associated with him.
I think you mean Morpheus, the Greek god of sleep. Orpheus was the one who played a lyre and went to the underworld to get his wife Eurydice back. As far as Sandman is concerned I'd say more people heard of him in connection with Neil Gaiman, nowadays at least.

Movie's looking good, but I'm gonna see the Cloud Atlas tomorrow and, oh gods yes, Hobbit in just three weeks.

The Last Melon

Mar 19, 2012
CoL0sS said:
My question is.....Does Santa have a Russian accent ?
Yup. There's no reason not to, but considering sovereignty issues around the North Pole I have to wonder what the movie would be like if he were Canadian...

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Makhiel said:
ProtoChimp said:
Orpheus is another name that sometimes get associated with him.
I think you mean Morpheus, the Greek god of sleep. Orpheus was the one who played a lyre and went to the underworld to get his wife Eurydice back. As far as Sandman is concerned I'd say more people heard of him in connection with Neil Gaiman, nowadays at least.

Movie's looking good, but I'm gonna see the Cloud Atlas tomorrow and, oh gods yes, Hobbit in just three weeks.
Isn't the only connection between Morpheus and the Sandman the Neil Gaiman comic?

SwimmingRock said:
ProtoChimp said:
He sprinkles magical sand into the eyes of children that makes them close their eyes and causes them to feel sleepy. It's basically the answer for small children to the question:"Why do we sleep?" without having to explain like science and whatnot. I believe it's originally a German thing, but I might be wrong. He's a widely known mythological figure here in Holland at any rate. Although we call him "Klaasvaak" for reasons I don't comprehend either.
The choice of "sand" specifically also has to do with the left over rheum, or that crusty stuff in the corner of your eyes that's sometimes there when you wake up.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Is just me or did this review seem really short? Maybe it's because he didn't go into any analysis and did a lot of summary. or maybe its because he wasn't angry and those reviews involve more ranting. Not gushing/ranting sound more like 'meh' movie to me.

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
CoL0sS said:
Yes, yes he does. More confusing to me is how Santa also has Russian prison tattoos. Did Santa spend some time in the Gulags?

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
SwimmingRock said:
Saw a trailer for this movie a while back and it was the first time in several years a trailer made me laugh (don't actually remember what point, though), so definitely interested in this. Hope it comes out in EU soon as well.

themilo504 said:
Great now while watching this movie I will be thinking of shin megami tensei constantly hee-ho!
I had actually forgotten about that. I can't stop thinking about the comic book series The Invisibles. Great, now the next time I re-read that, I'll be adding "hee-ho" in my head to everything.

ProtoChimp said:
Most of the fairy tales talked about in English-speaking culture are germanic in origin. Britain for a long time with a generally germanic culture with Frenchified elites (the Normans conquered England), and than later a mixed germanic-latin culture with germanic elites (the British parliament gives the Crown to the House of Hannover for being the Protestants closest to the throne). The Grimm brothers work was also instrumental in spreading germanic folklore.
Some of the more esoteric Germanic mythological beings are missing though, like that one that sits on your chest and sucks blood through your nipples (explanation of night paralysis and breathing difficulties) and that Christmas character that's black (I forget what he is called or what he does). The sandman is known in passing, but isn't really used or explained anymore unlike Santa or the tooth fairy. Same with the Easter Bunny I think, but I am not a Christian so I am not exposed to that.

Commissar Sae said:
CoL0sS said:
Yes, yes he does. More confusing to me is how Santa also has Russian prison tattoos. Did Santa spend some time in the Gulags?
Communism was really tough on mythological beings. They were labelled reactionaries and enemies of the proletariat for their support of the feudal system and the peasantry.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
themilo504 said:
if anything
that Jack Frost didn't end up in this
this was put up a while before the movie was even released

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
RTR said:
I can honestly feel that Dreamworks animation seems to be drifting away from the kind of pop culture reference saturation it had back in, say, 2004, with several of their more recent movies having settings that don't really allow for much of that stuff, like Kung Fu Panda and HTTYD, with the possible exception of certain dialogue choices from the characters. If they can make more stuff like that and like Guardians, I'lll be just fine with Dreamworks.

Also, I was going to point out that Bob sounds exhausted, but then the video pointed that out for me.

Also, a question for Bob: we all know The Hobbit is going to be a big deal, but don't you think that some of the hype behind the film prior to release (new format, conversion to a trilogy, etc.) has impacted or has the potential of impacting the overall final product? Or are you just confident that the filmmaker(s) can do a good job regardless?
I think right after Shrek 2, is when their pitfall of awfulness started. Kungfu panda was the first grab on the ledge to save their asses in terms of quality, then they figured out their formula that worked. (HTTYD was my favorite)

ayvee

Jan 29, 2010
This was a nice surprise, and I'm glad it got a pass here and is finding a generally positive reception. I personally enjoyed it more than Wreck-it Ralph.