Escape to the Movies: Rise of the Guardians

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Just seems like such a bad idea, i haven´t seen anything from this movie that sells it as even remotely interesting, just a lot of facepalming. But then again, i thought Looper was a bad joke too when i first saw the trailer, but that turned out surprisingly okay. But yeah, there´s too many interesting movies out there, i don´t think i´ll be seeing this one anytime soon.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Am I the only one who thinks this review felt... oddly rushed?

At least compared to Bob's other reviews. Not sure why, but the way everything went felt very last minute.

DrMcCoy

Aug 9, 2010
Eh, I prefer this sandman: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sandman_%28short_story%29

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
ProtoChimp said:
I have never heard of Sandman. Is that a bad thing?
That is one of the greatest graphic novel series of the ni- oh wait, you mean the character...
Basically, he is the one who creates dreams for people...

mykalwane

Oct 18, 2008
Its Thanksgiving week in America. The man did his job, and probably had to deal with family. Last I cheeked several movies came out. This month tends to be packed with movies. Odds are he probably had to cut it short so he could get to a press screening.Thanksgiving week, I get the padding. So much gets down your throat this week it is tough to get anything done. Wither work or family.

Most people had kids with them if they went to the movies. Probably why he reviewed this, this week. That way people were saved the pain of a crappy movie. That is a mark of a good critic right there.

Though I hope you keep away from Life of Pi. I am upset that it isn't about pie. I have to keep seeing the damn trailer at work since it shows off the tvs. If you have Pi or Pie I am expecting a movie on eatable pastries in metal disc or the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. You don't have any of that Life of Ni. I want some damn pie in my pi. So I am ok with Life of Pi not being reviewed. Would rather it be Rise of the Guardians, since that is a movie I might see.

Good to hear the movie is good, love watching good Christmas movies this time of the year. Though I agree fully, can't wait till Christmas is over. I work retail, so this month and next are the worst parts of the year.

The Last Melon

Mar 19, 2012
maxben said:
Some of the more esoteric Germanic mythological beings are missing though, like that one that sits on your chest and sucks blood through your nipples (explanation of night paralysis and breathing difficulties) and that Christmas character that's black (I forget what he is called or what he does).
The bloodsucker's been covered to death, but the black Christmas character rings a bell. I had a German roommate who was telling me that along with Santa there's another character (forget the name...he might've just been called "Black Santa," no racial connotation intended) who kidnaps naughty children, sticks them in a burlap sack, and beats them with a stick.

He might have been screwing with me, but it's an appealingly simple way of dealing with the naughty list.

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
It concerns me that I find the Tooth Fairy from this film really attractive? I mean, she's 100's of years old, a fairy and fictional but... DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!

OT: Defo gonna see this based on Bob's recommendation...

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
My anniversary is coming up next month and if it is still playing then I am definitely going to see it with my other half.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
ForgottenPr0digy said:
how could you not know who jack frost and sandman are??
All I've ever heard about Jack Frost was that he nips at your nose. Which he does not do in the movie. Which is a good movie, BTW.

sinsfire

Nov 17, 2009
Does anyone else think it sounded like Bob has been taking speed lessons from Yahtzee on this one. Sounded very fast, almost like he didn't have as much to say. Oh well I still want to check this out.

samahain

Sep 23, 2010
CoL0sS said:
Commissar Sae said:
CoL0sS said:
My question is.....Does Santa have a Russian accent ?
Yes, yes he does. More confusing to me is how Santa also has Russian prison tattoos. Did Santa spend some time in the Gulags?
This Santa matter is getting out of hand.

Santa Claus is originaly based on Saint Nicholas, who apparently was a real big deal in Russia back in the days.
Then Coca-Cola made him into a farce -_-
But I really look forward to the one in the movie! ^^ Kick-ass

Haven't seen it yet, but mark my words: a sequel is going to have Jack's past come back to haunt him.

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
Aureliano said:
Not a kid, don't give extra points to kids movies so I think I'll pass on Guardians.

That being said, I did end up seeing Life of Pi. Never expected to even watch it let alone enjoy it, but I did. From the previews it looks like a mystical journey through life, spirituality, etc. with a human-spirited tiger by a young Indian man's side. Instead, it's a poignant fight for survival and the struggles of two creatures with every reason to kill each other had they the chance thrown into a situation in which they depend on each other for survival, both practically and emotionally.

So, yeah. More so even than an odd couple, it's closer to star-crossed lovers with the audacity of something like Drive instead of the rote and foreordained 'everything's definitely going to turn out fine in spite of their differences' of rom-coms.

If you haven't seen Life of Pi, you really might want to take a look.
I read the book, and the book is definitely what you said, but also a trip into spirituality. Considering the entire middle of the book (when he is floating through the ocean) is extremely boring, I wasn't surprised the trailers really emphasized the "spiritual journey" aspect of it, but they made it look really trippy. Like, Across the Universe trippy. Anyways I'm glad to hear it wasn't that.
How did you like the ending?

CoL0sS said:
Commissar Sae said:
CoL0sS said:
My question is.....Does Santa have a Russian accent ?
Yes, yes he does. More confusing to me is how Santa also has Russian prison tattoos. Did Santa spend some time in the Gulags?
Squeeeee. That's awesome :)

The Last Melon said:
Yup. There's no reason not to, but considering sovereignty issues around the North Pole I have to wonder what the movie would be like if he were Canadian...
In an animated movie ? Every sentence would end with "Eh" or "Aboot" or any other Canadian stereotype XD
Not to mention apparently Santa is supposed to be the big badass boss? If he was Canadian everyone would just think he's really polite and passive, but if he is Russian, everyone will think he WRESTLES BEAR FOR MOTHERLAND

GeeksUtopia

Feb 26, 2011
Ok this movie was good, just like shrek, barnyard, and madagascar. Now I am just waiting for Rise of the guardians tv series, multiple sequels that are mainly there just to make money with no story. Boy I cannot wait, thank you dreamworks.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Just saw this movie yesterday, and I loved it! Have quite a bit to talk about, though unfortunately, nobody seems interested. They either see it as just another children's movie, or haven't even heard of it! The problem I feel, is the title in that case, since when I described the premise to people who haven't heard of it, they go "oh yeah, that one". I feel like this movie is going to be overshadowed by Wreck-It Ralph, which is a shame (although Wreck-It Ralph, I feel, is the superior movie). I'm hoping it does well enough to warrant a sequel and maybe even follow some of the books.

Dresos

Jun 17, 2011
For the first time in quite a while, I actually want to go and watch a movie at the cinema.

Dire Sloth

Filthy Casual
Jun 23, 2012
I have the biggest crush on Jack Frost now. The referral to the old stop-motion Jack was pretty great.