Escape to the Movies: Rise of the Guardians

Silverspetz

Aug 19, 2011
Just came back from seeing it myself (had to go on a trip to the capital just to see it in English) and I LOVED this movie. I have always been of the opinion that Dreamworks is Pixar's equal as a studio. While I prefer Pixar because they have a perfect track-record with movies that range from "above average" at worst to Mind-blowing and amazing at best, Dreamworks are more hit or miss, but when they get it right they can go toe-to-toe with even the best that Pixar has to offer. Rise of the Guardians is one such movie. The premise alone is awesome as heck, the characters are great, the world building is great and the villain is interesting and sympathetic without necessarily being redeemable or any less threatening. It is also hilarious as hell. I kid you not the entire audience broke out in spontaneous applause no less than 3 times during the whole film, and there was enough squealing made by the girls during the cuter moments to make me choke on estrogen.

Though I cannot for the life of me understand why they didn't just call the movie "The Guardians of Childhood".

GeeksUtopia

Feb 26, 2011
Silverspetz said:
Just came back from seeing it myself (had to go on a trip to the capital just to see it in English) and I LOVED this movie. I have always been of the opinion that Dreamworks is Pixar's equal as a studio. While I prefer Pixar because they have a perfect track-record with movies that range from "above average" at worst to Mind-blowing and amazing at best, Dreamworks are more hit or miss, but when they get it right they can go toe-to-toe with even the best that Pixar has to offer. Rise of the Guardians is one such movie. The premise alone is awesome as heck, the characters are great, the world building is great and the villain is interesting and sympathetic without necessarily being redeemable or any less threatening. It is also hilarious as hell. I kid you not the entire audience broke out in spontaneous applause no less than 3 times during the whole film, and there was enough squealing made by the girls during the cuter moments to make me choke on estrogen.

Though I cannot for the life of me understand why they didn't just call the movie "The Guardians of Childhood".
You have this feeling now, hold onto it, and preserve it. Cause like the rest of Dream works' movies they are going to run it to the ground. Pretty soon they will have Rise of The Guardians two, then three, maybe even a short series during the production of one of these movies. Heck they might even go ahead and go the way of Shrek and make a movie about one of the sub characters. So Rise of the Guardians is awesome, there leaves no premise of a sequel. Though Dreamworks' is going to make one just for the heck of it. The only logical sequel if possible would be the rapid growth of kids disbelieving in the guardians, though they would have to pull out all the stops on this one to make it right.

Silverspetz

Aug 19, 2011
GeeksUtopia said:
Silverspetz said:

You have this feeling now, hold onto it, and preserve it. Cause like the rest of Dream works' movies they are going to run it to the ground. Pretty soon they will have Rise of The Guardians two, then three, maybe even a short series during the production of one of these movies. Heck they might even go ahead and go the way of Shrek and make a movie about one of the sub characters. So Rise of the Guardians is awesome, there leaves no premise of a sequel. Though Dreamworks' is going to make one just for the heck of it. The only logical sequel if possible would be the rapid growth of kids disbelieving in the guardians, though they would have to pull out all the stops on this one to make it right.
Really? They haven't run any other of their great movies into the ground (aside from Shrek). I rather liked Kung-Fu Panda 2 and while I am not psyched about what little has been shown of the How to Train Your Dragon tv-show, I am hyped as heck for HTTYD 2 which prmises to build more on the world and show some new settings (awesome). As for Rise of the Guardians, the setting ALONE is a premise for a sequel. Just showing what other fantasy-people there are and how they are designed would be worth another movie, and they kinda hinted at a romance between Jack and the Toothfairy a few times which would make for a pretty good subplot. Let's say the next movie is about another bad guy trying to take over the world. If they just use that extremely standard main-plot as a way to show off more of the world and develop the characters it would still be a great sequel. But I like the idea of showing how the guardians deal with the fact that kids eventually just grow up, I hope they go for that in the sequel.

Keith Fraser

Mar 12, 2012
Is it just me, or does Pitch Black/The Boogeyman bear more than a passing resemblance to Edward Cullen from Twilight?

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I just saw this movie today with my younger siblings lol and I told them a better title would have been "Fall of the Guardians" because that's kinda more in line with what the plot is dealing with :p still, a fun time

Mar 26, 2008
Couldn't agree more with Movie Bob on this one! Finally got around to seeing it and as the father of three kids I've had to endure many, many kid-friendly animations. A lot of them lately have really left me cold (The Croods I'm looking at your direction) as an adult, but Rise Of The Guardians really hit the mark. It's got interesting characters with deep emotional issues, solid voice acting and most importantly for the kiddies, it's bright and full of action. Also, it doesn't overstay it's welcome, which is another big plus. I dare say myself and my wife enjoyed it just as much as our children.