Escape to the Movies: Rise of the Guardians

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Rise of the Guardians

Santa, the Easter Bunny, Sandman and the Tooth Fairy fight the Boogeyman, it's the Avengers for childhood fairy-tales.

Watch Video

chetoos

Jul 13, 2009
I really liked the movie, but I think it compares better to a Justice League, at least in the powers. Santa is kind of the batman, the rich one with the hand to hand combat skills, the Easter bunny can create wormholes between points in space, the Tooth Fairy is actually a bit lackluster in her powers, but I enjoyed her, and the Sandman is the Green Lantern. No questions asked. I did like how Jack's powers basically make him Iceman, though.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Looking at a Rise of the Guardians movie poster

Mom: "What's that?"
Me: "The Avengers, but with Santa, the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny."
Mom: "Oh. Is it American?"

OT: I'm surprised. It does sound like a really, really silly premise but that is an unusual (now-a-days) way to throw the audience right in there.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Your'a'mean one, Mr.Chipman.

Rather short and to the point this vid, still, definatly seeing this movie.

JUST THREE MORE WEEKS!!!

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I'm glad to hear this one was good. See, I have sort of a love/hate relationship with DreamWorks animated movies.

The ones I like, I really like. The Shrek movies (except Shrek 3) Flushed Away, MegaMind, etc. etc.

But the ones I hate...I RE-HEA-HEA-LLY hate...Shrek 3, The Madagascar movies, Over the Hedge, etc. etc.

So it's nice to hear that this one is a more enjoyable picture that I look forward to checking out.

I can't wait for the Oscars to come up, because Best Animated Picture is gonna be pretty tough.

Brave, Wreck-It-Ralph, Rise of the Guardians...this has been a pretty good year for animated films.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I can honestly feel that Dreamworks animation seems to be drifting away from the kind of pop culture reference saturation it had back in, say, 2004, with several of their more recent movies having settings that don't really allow for much of that stuff, like Kung Fu Panda and HTTYD, with the possible exception of certain dialogue choices from the characters. If they can make more stuff like that and like Guardians, I'lll be just fine with Dreamworks.

Also, I was going to point out that Bob sounds exhausted, but then the video pointed that out for me.

Also, a question for Bob: we all know The Hobbit is going to be a big deal, but don't you think that some of the hype behind the film prior to release (new format, conversion to a trilogy, etc.) has impacted or has the potential of impacting the overall final product? Or are you just confident that the filmmaker(s) can do a good job regardless?

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I was worried when I heard that Chris Pine was headlining this, particularly when everyone else, especially Alec Baldwin and Hugh Jackman, sound like they're having a blast

AlwaysPractical

Oct 7, 2011
Good to hear that Dreamworks are back to crafting an interesting world with interesting characters and great animation work. Will definitely give this a look.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
It's technically a children's book series, which includes other characters such as Mother Goose and the Man in the Moon. I'm glad the Dreamworks team apparently did the original source material justice, though it helps that the author is an executive producer on this movie. I hope this becomes a series, I'd like to see the characters from the books make an appearance eventually.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Oh man.. The Hobbit... In Sweden they just announced TODAY that the tickets will go on sale next Sunday, so I've had to spend the day rearranging my schedule for some major line-waiting. On the other hand, we get it in the 12th, so two whole days to mock America, that's not bad.
The Rise of the Guardian seems fun, wish I had time to go see it but apart from the Hobbit I'll doubt I'll have the time

themilo504

May 9, 2010
So the main character is called jack frost?
Great now while watching this movie I will be thinking of shin megami tensei constantly hee-ho!

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
why did this review to be less... less.... content

the trailer at the beginning although probably given for "context" seemed more like padding as this is the first review where bob just blatantly fills time with trailer.

Saying Avengers could be really limiting to this as you could probably make a bunch of parallels to several "super" hero teams.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Soundchekz said:
Of course Bob finds some way to diss the new Star Trek movie. Why am I not surprised?
Because it sucked?

On another note, the fact that it falls onto H2H combat disappoints me. When you have mythic entities, I rather think it shows a lack of creativity to reduce them to punching each other. It's like if Niel Gaimon's Morpheus suddenly stopped being a god who uses his power over human imagination to manipulate things behind the scenes so he can punch out bank robbers.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
I have never heard of Sandman. Is that a bad thing?

EDIT: PLEASE. STOP. QUOTING ME! I know who sandman is now.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Glad this was good. Hope to see it soon.

I also look foward to seeing you review The Hobbit. ;)
Hope it lives up to it's hype!

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
ProtoChimp said:
I have never heard of Sandman. Is that a bad thing?
Not really. He's not THAT much of a "celebrated" character, but most people have at least heard of him I think.