Escape to the Movies: Rise of the Planet of the Apes

fgdfgdgd

May 9, 2009
Franko looked like a robot built to imitate human emotion that wasn't quite out of beta yet, that's all I have to say about that. It was an alright movie, but not quite what bob puts it out to be, and don't get me wrong, I and Bob normally agree on films.

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
I don't want to go see it until someone explains to me how a small group of poorly armed apes other throws humanity.

Like, just the premise that a few hundred chimps with spears beat police and military units armed with automatic weapons breaks the movie for me.

Littaly said:
I had no idea that the ending of Planet of the Apes was considered an OK spoiler. I had it spoiled a few months ago by a podcast when the trailer for this movie was released, which got me pretty annoyed but since then I've heard it both left and right from pretty much everywhere. I should probably give that original movie a watch...
I don't think revealing the end of a movie that's 43 years old can count as a spoiler anymore.

Stublore

Dec 16, 2009
I can suspend my disbelief to a point.
Super intelligent chimp - sure no problem.
An army of chimps and gorillas appearing from nowhere and overwhelming us - not so fucking much!
Does that smoke grenade thingy as well as bestowing intelligence also create 100 instant clones?
If they had stuck to the original premise, where they apes and chimps were basically servants, so there was a reason for them to innumerable then it's plausible.
Hell, even if you emptied every zoo and research lab in any city I doubt you'd get the numbers shown in the clip.
How is it explained the sudden increase in their numbers in the film? Oh wait!, I'll bet it's not, it just happens :((

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
unacomn said:
Someone once mentioned this, why don't they just shoot the monkeys? With like, bullets? This is more or less why some species of apes are going extinct.
Don't you know? Being smart makes you immune to bullets

OT: Ehh, I might give this one a rental if nothing else.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
Malfoy is in this movie?? Interesting how I didn't know until know.

I've always thought that the very idea of humanity being taken over by monkeys is much scarier than, say, the same thing but with robots, aliens, or alien robots. I guess it has to do with the fact that they are not very different from us at a genetic level, but they still have a rather large and dangerous primal instinct. Not that different from us, but it's understood.

I'm still not sure about the whole "because we suck" thing as enough motivation for the apes to rise up. On the one hand, it's pretty much true, but it still sounds like a bit of lazy writing.

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
Simian super intelligence aside, is anyone else not just immediately turned off from this movie by the sheer implausibility of the entire thing? Not only is the science behind the Altimeters mega brain serum softer than a pedophile's dick in a retirement home, but as far as I can tell, the pinnacle of primate weaponry is a freaking spear. I mean, yeah, the local police force is going to be flabbergasted at first, and the city where they first strike is going to get steamrolled, but are you trying to tell me that by the end of this the entire might of the world's standing armies can't contend with a legion of monkeys maybe a few thousand strong? Because frankly, that's ape-shit bananas. Pun intended.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
As a stand alone this movie would proberly be a whole lot more appealing to me but the simple fact that a few dozen super smart apes armed with spears some how completly over throw humanity seems dumb... and please dont automatically jump to the "but its a movie about super monkeys" argument because im guessing they have tactical nuclear strikes in this world. No amount of brain power is going to stop that.

Im still going to see it, im a animal lover so any excuse to see super apes beating on dick heads!

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
summerof2010 said:
Simian super intelligence aside, is anyone else not just immediately turned off from this movie by the sheer implausibility of the entire thing? Not only is the science behind the Altimeters mega brain serum softer than a pedophile's dick in a retirement home, but as far as I can tell, the pinnacle of primate weaponry is a freaking spear. I mean, yeah, the local police force is going to be flabbergasted at first, and the city where they first strike is going to get steamrolled, but are you trying to tell me that by the end of this the entire might of the world's standing armies can't contend with a legion of monkeys maybe a few thousand strong? Because frankly, that's ape-shit bananas. Pun intended.
I basically said that minutes after you. Im all for the Sci-fi aspects (I love fantasy and sci-fi) but spears, REALLY!? I hope Ceaser pulls some serious genocide, like a new strain of small pox.

qazmatoz

Sep 17, 2009
After the extreme praise he gave Captain America, I really don't think I can follow Bob's opinion much anymore.

wezzipooh

Apr 2, 2011
I really hope Andy Serkis isnt going to play mo-capped monkeys for the rest of his career.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
So the serum or whatever makes monkeys smart enough to rebel. Does this mean it's good enough to make humans smarter than the monkeys? Also what sort of use is intelligence all on it's own. I would think the core moral values of a primate are much different than a humans and even in intelligence the execution would still probably be very prone to primal instinctive motivations. Maybe that's why they were throwing spears and attacking helicopters with bare hands rather than picking up human weapons and using them unless that happened and they just didn't show it in the trailers although the idea of them turning down the chance to show a monkey with a gun is sillier than the movie's actual premise.

Also do they lose? Come on. they have to lose. They can't win that fight. Seriously. they aren't cockroaches heck they aren't cats or rats or any other creature with a high reproduction rate. They are monkeys. The world is filled with humans so they would really get there butt kicked. and I don't know how they would get the situation to spread to monkeys. Also what about all the other monkey breeds? I don't remember the old movies very well but they were chimpanzees which didn't make sense to me cause all breeds of monkeys are pretty smart and if one breed of them flourished wouldn't the rest follow?

And come on. Not one reference to the power puff girls? You and this movie do me wrong if we are going to have a movie about some super serum that makes apes capable of running amuck and having a successful uprising we might as well follow that up with lab created little girls powered by cliche and chemical X flying around and beating up monkeys. Although if they did that they would have to use the fusion fall design. the proportions on the cartoon version would be so creepy and weird looking in CG.

Why didn't any of these things blockade your enjoyment of this movie bob? was it because you could ignore those things because you were enjoying yourself?

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Ahhh, so they're blaming animal abuse and not "mad science" for once that was pretty much my only big worry, this might have turned me around on this movie...

Link XL1

Apr 6, 2010
obviously im not keeping up on spiderman news, but what did bob approve of about spiderman at the very end of the video?

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
PunkRex said:
I basically said that minutes after you. Im all for the Sci-fi aspects (I love fantasy and sci-fi) but spears, REALLY!? I hope Ceaser pulls some serious genocide, like a new strain of small pox.
Looking back through the comments, this seems to be the general consensus. Maybe I'm not giving enough credit to the more cerebral first half of the movie; maybe the movie brings up things worth talking about with regard to the ethics of animal-human relations and how intelligence relates to personal rights, but this sort of thing would be a lot more believable within a framework that more resembles Frankenstein -- in other words, if the apes lost.

I mean, just... even if they gathered every primate in the world under one banner, even if they acquired the supplies, weapons, and land needed to facilitate such large scale military action, even if they had time to develop super intelligence in all of those soldiers, and train them, and train officers -- they're still wildly outnumbered, likely being attacked from all sides, and vulnerable to a tactical nuclear strike. This is more implausible than Killer Clowns From Outer Space.

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
Link XL1 said:
obviously im not keeping up on spiderman news, but what did bob approve of about spiderman at the very end of the video?
I thought he was approving of the costume design. At least, I thought it was kind of neat.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Worgen said:
hmm, Im surprised it was that good, the ads for it make it look like crap
Yeah I thought that as well.

Since the other reboot sucked I thought this would bomb as well.

But I dont feel like watching it in theaters, will wait to rent it or something.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
summerof2010 said:
Yeah I was thinking the same thing.

Which is why Im gonna wait to rent it on dvd.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
Hehe "people are stupid" ehm well said I guess

Probably gonna see it since well A Gorilla Is beating up a HELICOPTER!

PS really commercial for "Venus Embrace lady shave?" REAALLLY sure lots of women here but I quite sure the main demographic is male... and shaving stuff.. O well going to save up for ad free escapist someday..