Escape to the Movies: Robin Hood

Maleb

Apr 22, 2010
thanks moviebob for pointing out kingdom of heaven directers cut. Changed my prespective on the film from rightious religious sillyness to a complete story of awesomeness. Whole lot of scenes made sense now, always had a feeling there were parts missing

I thought mr Bloom had only 2 sentences in the theater draft, I was really suprised he was yapping away in this one. Anymore slaughtered movies by editors (which have a director cut) which I should know about?

Hayate_GT

Mar 6, 2010
saw it last night... wasn't great but was ok...was honestly expecting it to be more boring than it was...anyway i didn't pay for the ticket so maybe that had something to do with it...

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Maleb said:
Anymore slaughtered movies by editors (which have a director cut) which I should know about?
Now that there's so much instant-scrutiny of movie productions, it doesn't happen with quite the frequency it used to, and when it does it's usually with the filmmakers' consent - It's happened to Ridley Scott A LOT, for example, but mainly because he doesn't tend to "fight" over the theatrical cut so long as he gets "his" version released later on.

Scott's own "Blade Runner" and "Legend" both have significantly different director's cuts, both now widely available on DVD. The DVD of Richard Donner's original "Superman" has a lot of stuff put back in, as well. Sometimes, what are now called "directors cuts" are more like "directors changed their minds later." The Exorcist DVD has some gore/FX scenes that were legendarily missing from the original, but also a lot of new CGI easter-eggs. Mixed bag.

Up until Kingdom of Heaven, the all-time (modern) champ was Terry Gilliam's "Brazil" - the version that ran on TV was a "producer's cut" that removed almost all of the fantasy sequences (completely changing the plot) and a totally-changed ending. (The Criterion Collection did a 3-Disc DVD that had both versions, for comparison.)

Maleb

Apr 22, 2010
good.. Good! That would give more of my trust back in Ridley Scott. Makes me wish more directors go for the latter product, instead compromise and leave the movie mangled as it is. Not all directors ofcourse, BUT if for example mr. Night Shyamalan made me revise my opinion about "the happening" (oops, almost puked there over marky mark) in his director cut... hehe now that would suprise me

and thanks again mr. moviebob :)

ThisNewGuy

Apr 28, 2009
Oooh, I gotta disagree with a lot of what Moviebob talked about with the whole "robin hood" only in the last minute. I don't know if he got to the theater late or maybe was still looking for a seat in the beginning, but in the very beginning of the film, it explains that this move is a prequel to the legend of Robin Hood, in about 2 sentences.

So, I watched it to be a build up to the Robin Hood legends, which made the movie pretty good. The Robin Hood character build up only happen for about 5 minutes with his whole intrigue into his past, and for some reason he had an amnesia and forgot how his father died. But the rest of the film was pretty great. Forget Robin Hood, this movie is about all the circumstantial events that led to the Robin Hood LEGEND, it's not about his character, it's about what's going on in the world, which is basically what Robin Hood is all about.

I agree, Kingdom of Heaven is a MUCH better movie, but Robin Hood is my second favorite movie of this year so far, beaten only by Kick Ass.

Obrien Xp

Sep 27, 2009
Kingdom of Heaven was awesome (ofc it was the directors cut).

I'm probably going to see Robin Hood just for Allan Doyle. (Go GBS!).

Other good movies that were better on directors cut:
Alexander
Das Boot
Lord of the Rings

axnxgxixe

Apr 23, 2009
I haven't seen the movie, but from the first commercial I saw for it, I just didn't think Russel Crowe would be a believable Robin Hood. His face is far too round, and he just doesn't seem like a guy who would use a bow and arrow. But swinging around a sword(like in Gladiator)? Definitely.

God I love fluffernutters.

Keepitclean

Sep 16, 2009
When I saw this last night I noticed that Russel Crowe changes his accent up about 3 time throughout the movie.

I share MovieBob's opinion on this move.

Fophug123

May 26, 2009
i actually thought the movie was pretty good. and i think your arguments are pretty bad, it was always meant to be a prequel, so i think it was really good. i just think people expected a red fox-like Robin hood and not the real stuff.

Sep 14, 2009
captured the words right out of my mouth bob, i was thinking the same thing at the end of the movie, word from word what you said, good to see im not the only one who thought it was good cast, good environment and scripting, just horrible story that didn't connect at all.

MagnificentFiend

Jun 2, 2010
Has anyone seen the Director's Cut of Kingdom of Heaven? 'Cause the studio release was effing terrible and I'd be interested to hear if anyone though Scott did a much better job.

Jinx5934

Jun 22, 2010
I got bored of it 5 minutes from the end so walked out of the movie theatre, I just couldn't stand it any longer. I guess I missed the Robin Hood bit then huh. Oh well.

Calbeck

Bearer of Pointed Commentary
Jul 13, 2008
I actually had a blast watching this movie up until the last fifteen minutes or so.

Why? Because I'm a History Nut, that's why. Most of the story is actually Historically Plausible, making the Robin Hood legend itself in turn more plausible. Even the intrigues between France and John? VERY historical. This flick is just dripping with an authenticity missing from most Robin Hood treatments (which "Men in Tights" did wonders parodying).

What screws the film up, for me, are two things: one, Marian turning up in full-freakin'-personally-fitted-armor on horseback to fight and hold her own against hard-core ex-Crusade military veterans --- how? I'm surprised you didn't hammer on the fact that aside from flicking ONE arrow and getting a lucky sword shot in on a raider, she never shows one ounce of military experience, but suddenly she's a full-fledged cavalier kicking ass from the saddle.

Two, the beach scene might as well have taken its scripting straight out of "Saving Private Ryan". All we needed was for the French to start shouting about their tanks wallowing in the Channel and having to move up the beach, or clear some nonexistent barriers. You could have had a mime in a beret do that last bit and it wouldn't have been any more comical.

So yeah, I got that it was a prequel, but I enjoyed it as such. I admit to being surprised that the film wasn't in the least PROMOTED as a prequel, because a lot of people (including, obviously, the reviewer) were bound to be pissed off by the promise of an actual "Hood" film not being delivered per se.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Kingdom of Heaven was awful...but hmmm director's cut...

yea northeastern America...that explains haha