Escape to the Movies: Robocop

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
Oh, I do love it when Bob goes an a rant.

I agree with you. This remake doesn't hold a candle to the original.

Jan 12, 2012
I'm not surprised, Robocop, I'm just disappointed. I should have guessed when people were getting all up in arms about the rating that they were going to replace the criminals with robots that can be shot to pieces without gore.

Off-Topic, I think that Eisenberg can do a good Luthor; we know from Social Network that he can sneer properly. But for the love of God, get the boy some protein powder; I want to see this finally be present in a movie Luthor:

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
I watched it Bod but don't hurt mine by holding back on AoS. Open up on those guys.

Haven't seen the new Robocop and I wasn't going to but thanks for clearing any doubt I might have had about it being bad.

ash12181987

Nov 9, 2010
According to movie bob, someone who has some appreciation for the original, which is as he says a really really good 80s action film, science fiction film, Orwellian future film, and all around a great film... The followup that is made today missed the point, created a generic neutered action movie and called it a day... probably in the process making themselves into a parody as they are creating the same kind of shallow nonsense that panders to people that was ridiculed in the original as being a staple of the future.

In other related news: Grass is green.

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
Well, back to Metal Gear Rising, the cyborg you play there also doesn't have guns, but at least he has a High Frequency Blade to cut your enemies into ribbons! And it seems that the movie isn't even anywhere near Kojima World Order level of military paranoia xD

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
I don't know why Bob still reviews these. He may as well save time and create a generic "Remake Review Video" and just record himself saying the name of whichever one it is this week to be inserted into blanks around statements like "_______ totally misses the point of the original" and "The remake of _______ is just another bland forgettable action movie."

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'm surprised he didn't mention the hand at all, I was fully expecting the movie to do some really dumb hand joke that calls back to it being blown off the in original. Maybe Bob just didn't have time to mention it.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
Why am I not suprised? The 1st warning sign for me was the pg-13 rating but a STUN GUN?!?! I understand, they are trying show him a cop not a solder but when I think of a cyborg cop, I don't think of a stun gun!

I also agree to seeing the lego movie again because it's soooo good!

Kuth

Jan 14, 2009
Bob, you could have just said the Stun Gun and gone home. Man, that is sad.

Aug 1, 2010
[i/]The Lego Movie is a better RoboCop movie than RoboCop[/i]

I can totally see it. In fact, it even wins in the gore department. The Lego Movie is fucking brutal. People getting torn apart, crushed and decapitated with pennies.

Also my favorite part of this review was when you called fans of American Hustle vapid. Because seriously, fuck that movie.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
As good as the Original is, it is an example of just how unethical Hollywood is at times. The original is a R rated film cut down from it's original X rating. R and X rated films are supposed to be off limits to kids. Were not even talking teenagers here. Were talking 6 year olds, and yet all the marketing for Robocop was directed at 6 year old audiences. Making a movie that has a rating that as a society we agreed wouldn't be intended for children and then marketing it to children is equivalent to Cigarette companies using cartoons to directly market to children something that as a society we agreed wasn't for children.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
You know what I have no intention of going to see Batman Vs Superman but if they choose to replace Eisenberg so we can have a inuit harpoon fisherman Lex who hates Superman because of his extream hatred of capes I will change my mind.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
Well, at least it'll be forgotten about in 3 months. No one remembers the new Conan or Total Recall, and they won't recall (PUN) this one either.

Alandoril

Jul 19, 2010
Usually I agree with you, Bob, but in this instance you're really wide of the mark on this film.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Thunderous Cacophony said:
I'm not surprised, Robocop, I'm just disappointed. I should have guessed when people were getting all up in arms about the rating that they were going to replace the criminals with robots that can be shot to pieces without gore.

Off-Topic, I think that Eisenberg can do a good Luthor; we know from Social Network that he can sneer properly. But for the love of God, get the boy some protein powder; I want to see this finally be present in a movie Luthor:
Fantastic scene (that comic book snippet).

OT: Is anyone really surprised?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
About the only thing noticeable in this film seems to be that the art department ripped off the Mass Effect Blood Dragon armor and spliced it with the robots from the Total Recall remake. And those robots were a ripoff of Bioware's Sith Troopers from KOTOR.

sonicstormer

Aug 6, 2009
I dunno, I didn't think it was all that bad. No, it wasn't smart like the last one, but I was entertained regardless. Say what you will about the stun gun, which he doesn't use exclusively BTW, I thought it was funny as shit how he'd just go about tazing dudes with little to no regard. I mean, bottom line was I wasn't bored, it was fun.

I dunno, I get that comparisons need to be drawn to the original, that's unavoidable and in fact necessary. However, Bob, buddy, pal, pull off the nostalgia glasses man. The biggest reason you're slamming this so hard is because just about every single criticism is drawn from a comparison to a different movie. Make no mistake, this is a different movie, and there's nothing wrong with that. Your other points, such as "Why are we in Iraq again?" are perfectly valid, but geez get off the whole, "This isn't the old one." soapbox already.