Escape to the Movies: Rock of Ages

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Rock of Ages

A generic rock and roll love story starring an off-key Tom Cruise.

Watch Video

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
If I wanted to see a bunch of people acting like idiots I'd just go watch random YouTube videos.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
What, no extra text at the end? Aww.

Kind of disappointing to see that this falls flat as just another movie wrapped in old rock music as an excuse to drive album sales though.

Also Tom Cruise singing? Poor Bob.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Clearly, Bob has never been to a theater pub...

I'm also wondering: who are those two main characters that haven't even been the feature of the marketing material.

And here's the big question: Is Tom Cruise as bad a singer as Pierce Brosnan in Mamma Mia?

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
Well, Bob, you sold me. I was on the fence about this one. After watching your review it's must see. Not that you're always wrong or anything. It's just that you pointed out the things that looked like they held some promise for being entertaining in the way they were meant to be entertaining lived up to that promise. And the parts that looked like they might just be entertainingly bad are genuinely bad. Now, are they bad enough to be entertaining? I can only find out by watching.

Conner42

Jul 29, 2009
Hmmmm...

Moviebob seems to know a little more about music than he let on in that one Big Picture episode about stuff he didn't know. The observations were a bit simple, but it was pretty impressive that he was able to pull out themes from the decades. As someone who regularly listens to music like this, and plays music like this, I guess even then, I still never really realized how nonsensical most 80s music was. Though, my observations on 80s rock is a bit different, as in, 80s rock wasn't really rock. At least, most of it considered to be rock. But, they're still cool songs....most of them.

This kind of makes me wonder what he thought about "Across the Universe".

I loved "Across the Universe"

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Was Rock of Ages really so depressing to sit through that you couldn't even think of anything to say in the end credits?

Dear God.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
But... but... the credits...
I actually watched them twice to make sure I didn't blink too long and miss something.

Henkie36

Aug 25, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Apparently Cruise has a four octave range, Brosnan didn't even have one.
And apparently he uses all four of them, but none of them are timed properly.

I'm never a big fan of jukebox musicals. Things like Moulin Rouge or Mamma Mia were indeed awful, taking only the music into account. So, no I don't want to see Tom Cruise making an idiot out of himself. And pay 15 bucks for that.

Capatcha: *Virgin logo* describe this with any word(s): evil. Accepted.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
no credits jokes ... *sadface*

you made a panda cry with that Bob.

as for the movie >.> i kinda expected this, i was never a fan of 80s music in general despite being old enough to remember those songs being 'big hits'

Dusty Fred

Aug 3, 2011
I have to say, Bob, it never ceases to impress me how much intelligent analysis you can squash into 5 minutes. This here is a fine example. Good Job, as Will Smith says in Hancock (which I apologise for bringing up)

OT; Ironically it was only yesterday that I heard on Planet Rock radio that Def Leppard had stated, after visiting Tom Cruise on set, that he sounded great. By sheer coincidence he performs 'Pour Some Sugar On Me' in this film.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
Wow, I just realized how spoiled MovieBob has made me with his extra comments during the credits. I noticed today that I look forward to them as much as the actual review.

I mean, I know he does it as a bonus and isn't obligated, but please don't stop!

JasonEllis66

Oct 23, 2008
No end credit text jokes, that sucks. I wonder if the broadway musical is any better, since the people can actually sing (I would assume).