Escape to the Movies: Rock of Ages

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Wait, whut? You can't drink at movies? Nobody told ME that!

I figured they cast the lead role by playing Rock Band with the stars and seeing who could actually sing the songs... now that I know I'm wrong, I will avoid this like the plague.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Aiddon said:
Who ever invented the jukebox musical should forced to listen to one-hit wonders for all eternity
Careful, they could write a musical about it.

The Great JT said:
That's My Boy must've been that bad if it doesn't even warrant a discussion at the end.
It's the subject of this week's edition of Moviebob's Intermission column.

I was dissapointed to hear Rock of Ages (the movie) wasn't as good as it could have been. I heard the stage musical it's based on is a smash hit, too. Sounds like the antidote to the ear-poison of Mama Mia.

comet5002

Mar 27, 2009
Maybe the bad acting/singing problem could be fixed by casting, you know, Broadway actors to be in movie adaptations of Broadway musicals.

Just a thought.

This movie was doomed the second Tom Cruise was cast.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
Well 80s rock doesn't really seem important by itself, but placed within the larger context of society and music, the 80s was an important set up for the 90s. 80s rock was riding the cultural and economic boom from the 70s. People reveled in what was once the social taboos of sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll; it was a decade long celebration because people thought they had finally won in terms of the social revolutions of the previous decades. Finally, no more social barriers! Life is good! But then the harsh realities of an AIDS epidemic and a continued social inequality for minorities came crashing down. Welcome to the grunge era of the 90s.

It's practically a 180 degree turn-around for music, to go from the high-flyin', life is good, feel of Guns-n-Roses and Van Halen to the harsh rhythms and low-key beats of Garbage, Nirvana, and The Smashing Pumpkins. And it's important to have that knowledge in order to understand why the culture turned so grim despite continued economic success.

So yeah, there's no real "dramatic" story you're gonna find in the music scene of the 80s (apart from probably the typical "can-he-make-it" story), but then I get the feeling this really isn't supposed to be a drama. I think this movie is supposed to be what the music of the time was supposed to be: one big party.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
You... you watch movies at places where you're not allowed to drink?!

I do not envy any part of your job, Bob.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
no post review eye catches?!
Bob,are you feeling okay?

Or was this all a plan so next week your eyecatches can be "was seeing if you guys were even reading these" or something to that extent.

Aug 25, 2009
OR

Go and watch Almost Famous to understand exactly what the point of 70s rock music was. That movie was such a massive inspiration to me, and they actually wrote their own songs for it. (it's not a musical, so there's not many songs gien centre stage.)

smaggy

May 28, 2012
No 4th card tease? I am disappoint. BTW, I didn't want to see it simply because that hampster-tainted junkgrinder Baldwin was in it.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
ZZoMBiE13 said:
But... but... the credits...
I actually watched them twice to make sure I didn't blink too long and miss something.
Heh, same here. It's especially hilarious considering how people complained that they had to sit through the credits for those snippets of text when Escape to the Movies had just started.

Captcha: rolling stone

... You're fucking kidding me.

DarkSoldier84

Jul 8, 2010
I got to see a preview on Wednesday. I saw the broad archetypes and I knew it would end on a high note. I didn't come in with high expectations. I still enjoyed it.

Sure it's not Oscar bait and follows the basic romance formula, but it's got satire pointed at the music industry and moral crusaders with a bit pointing back at itself as well as a high-quality soundtrack. I've never seen Russell Brand's work before, but he stole the show for me, even from Hey Man.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
So just buying a 80s power ballad cd and getting hammered is better experience than seeing this movie? 'Cause I'm okay with that :D

Also nice nostalgia bomb with the Taz-Mania reference. I haven't heard that in years.

tobimaro

Nov 23, 2010
Well, at least I have a birthday party to attend. That, and I have some anime on my computer that I still need to watch. And the money that I will not use to watch this "movie" might end up going to buying "Trigun: Badlands Rumble". Winners all around.

6SteW6

Mar 25, 2011
Hey movie bob you can totally drink at the movies all you need is a hipflask and the absence of self respect or dignity :D.