Escape to the Movies: Rock of Ages

actar411

Apr 14, 2010
See, when I heard that Rock of Ages would have 80s Hard Rock and Heavy Metal I expected Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, AC/DC, Metallica, etc. The list of songs that are in the film are really just plain old ordinary classic 80s rock. I wouldn't call most of the stuff even Hard Rock. I guess this is one of those old expectations not meeting reality things. Oh well.

=y

May 11, 2012
No funnies in the credits? Bad form Bob, I had to rewind to make sure it wasn't me.

Also movie I wasn't interested in at all in the first place isn't good? Well, that's money I wasn't spending saved.

infernovolver

Jun 11, 2008
Man, Spill.com slammed the fuck out of this movie. I wasn't seeing it because I'm not a fan of musicals, and the critical reception sure isn't changing anything there. o.o
actar411 said:
See, when I heard that Rock of Ages would have 80s Hard Rock and Heavy Metal I expected Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, AC/DC, Metallica, etc. The list of songs that are in the film are really just plain old ordinary classic 80s rock. I wouldn't call most of the stuff even Hard Rock. I guess this is one of those old expectations not meeting reality things. Oh well.
By "metal" they mean hair metal, or glam metal, or whatever you want to call it. A lot of people in the metal community (myself included) don't consider it true metal by the very loose, subjective and ever-changing standards we have.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
Well I went and saw it this weekend, and Bob was right on the mark with it. As I mentioned in my previous post, I wasn't expecting a grand storyline by any means, but some good music. The song line-up is awesome, and I liked how some song segments had 2 songs going back to back...but most of them were pretty much pop remixes. That makes this 80s kid cry.

Tom Cruise pretty much was the best part of the whole movie. I felt he nailed the whole "drunken and over-sexed rockstar in his own little world" angle. In fact, I wish that they didn't follow the storyline of the original Broadway show and did this movie solely about Cruise's character, starting with his first gig at the Bourbon Room, then following him as he rises in fame, gets involved in the sex and drugs and goes through a bender as he loses himself, and finally comes out of it on top. That I felt would have made for a more engaging movie and you can still use the rock anthems.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
That guy...the main, young lead dude...I've seen him before! Yeah! He's a Mexican actor that used to have a secondary role in a novela called "Rebelde" (Rebel). HA! I knew I've seen him before somewhere!!

Wait a second. How did that guy land a lead role in this movie? With Tom Cruise? HOW?!

Eyelicker

Apr 8, 2010
Meh, I actually really enjoyed this.

Expected to hate it because musicals are lame and I hate 80's rock, but I was in town with this chick who convinced me to go see it with her.

It was silly as fuck, pretty fun, genuinely really funny in parts and Tom Cruz was fantastic.

It's also the first time I've seen Russell Brand do something without wanting to kill him.

You overthink things sometimes you miss simple "fun"