Escape to the Movies: Rock of Ages

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
Most cinemas I've been to here in England are off-license. The idea of buying overpriced alcohol to drink in a cinema always felt slightly stupid to me. Can you not go without a drink for a few hours? Really? I know the drinking culture here is the most shared culture we have left, and so the average Brit goes through a bottle of wine before breakfast, but damn it.

Anyway, figured this was going to be pretty awful, won't bother dignifying it's existence by paying to see it. Still got Prometheus to see, and the Abraham Lincoln Vampire Killer could be quite dry funny, but if it's played straight, could be ass end ridiculous.

Sm0gg

Aug 20, 2009
Gees Bob, more generalizations than normal & I gotta say I found your flip, simple-minded explanation of what 'rock' was about in each decade laughable, ridiculous & even a little offensive.
Never mind, I've said it before & I'll say it again, stick to what you're good at, talking about Movies, better not to talk about Music & Politics & other stuff.

qou2600

Oct 20, 2009
Before clicking on the link to watch this video I got quite confused as to why Bob was doing a review of the video game "Rock of Ages".

qou2600

Oct 20, 2009
Before clicking on the link to watch this video I got quite confused as to why Bob was doing a review of the video game "Rock of Ages".

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
I expect this movie to be bad, and yet I have a dilemma. I freakin' love classic rock. It's kind of worrying. 90% of my music list on my mp3 player is classic rock, and any movie that loudly proclaims it's playing Foreigner, Styx, and Jefferson Starship will grab my attention. It's going to be bad, but I'm going to have fun listening to it...

or maybe they sing the songs so bad they're destroyed for me forever.

I'll flip a coin.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Flames66 said:
Well, I might give this one a go as I recently discovered that my local large cinema started selling bear.

Captcha: mish-mash
get the hell outta there! that place is a bloodbath waiting to happen! who would do such an irresponsible thing?!

the Dept of Science

Nov 9, 2009
MelasZepheos said:
OR

Go and watch Almost Famous to understand exactly what the point of 70s rock music was. That movie was such a massive inspiration to me, and they actually wrote their own songs for it. (it's not a musical, so there's not many songs gien centre stage.)
Seconded. That's the correct way to do a rock n roll movie.

Anvil: The Story of Anvil is also highly recommended. A documentary about an influential but ultimately unsuccessful heavy metal band, now in their 40s or 50s. It's got some real heart to it, something which 80s metal often profoundly lacks.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
martyrdrebel27 said:
Flames66 said:
Well, I might give this one a go as I recently discovered that my local large cinema started selling bear.

Captcha: mish-mash
get the hell outta there! that place is a bloodbath waiting to happen! who would do such an irresponsible thing?!

Orange Monkey

Mar 16, 2009
Never been a big fan of Tom Cruise. Guy gives me all kinds of wierd creepy vibes o_O

Also, End Credit Jokes? I don't think you quite realise how important those are D:

McShizzle

Jun 18, 2008
Xanthious said:
As for drinking in theaters Bob really should get to Austin TX and check out the Alamo Drafthouse (AKA The theater from Youtube that kicked the girl out for texting) because you can get as plastered as you like there. All in all I can't say enough nice things about the Alamo Drafthouse. They have great projectors, great seating, don't put up with shit like talking or texting during a movie, and they serve real food and booze and it's an 18 and up establishment so no kids. It may be the happiest place on Earth.
That sounds f--king amazing! I wish we had something like that in Canada, specifically Ottawa. :(

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
First time I heard the name "Rock of Ages" I thought they were making an adaptation of the indie game.

It would have been funny to see exactly how the heck they would pull that one of.

Another horrible musical.

Whytewulf

Dec 20, 2009
Many people here were probably not the age group for 80's Rock, but I disagree with your assessment that it meant nothing. Remember the era that it was in, intense cold war. At worst case you could call 80's rock a retreat into fun music, that broke away from a lot of the heavy in the 70's, which the 90's grunge movement brought us back down to earth.

I have heard a few of the tunes that Tom sings, they aren't bad. I wouldn't say the movie would be great, not a fan of the genre, but I am not sure you were a fan of the 80's music as you think. And I would say he is much more Brett Michaels than Axel/David. (See hat as example A).

Safaia

Sep 24, 2010
Cabin in the Woods is at the dollar theater so that's where I'll be since I usually go to the movies on Sunday. I've already seen it but I want to see it again.

My parents paid for me to see Snow White on Friday. Meh. Is Brave out yet?

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
But...but I waited for those last thoughts! I waited all through the credits! Why did they leave me? They've never left me before! Are they okay? Is something wrong with them? Are they mad at us?

Also, Meh. 80's rock is fun to listen to, not all that fun to watch as it's re-enacted, since I'm not exactly nostalgia tripping for weird outfits, bizarre hair, or drug fueled afterparties. Those are all coming around again, so why pine for what isn't (regretfully) lost?