Escape to the Movies: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Feb 13, 2008
See, I heard about this. Well, not exactly heard, but got showered with references like "must see"...

And I thought it sounded boring.

Then I watched the vid.

Now I know why it's a must see.

May 5, 2010
Wow, am I the only one who thinks this movie is going to suck?

I desperately wanted him to hate it. Frankly, I'm probably still not going to see it, because Bob has been wrong before.

(Daybreakers and Splice came close to what he said, but instead turned to crap. Please don't ask me to explain why. I can, I just don't want to.)

wrecker77

May 31, 2008
I'm so unbelievably relieved this turned out to be good, I'm going to see it as soon as possible. Also Michel Cera FTW

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
I really do want to see this movie, It just looks remarkably different to quite alot thats come out this year, that might be down to the videogame vibe (or by the looks of it, vital organ) running through it.

Why does this have to come out on the 25th in the UK?

Actually as a question, could someone please answer as to why the UK gets movies quite later (heres looking at you toy story 3)? at one point, someone mentioned piracy but I don't know if thats true.

OblivionSoul

Oct 19, 2009
I hadn't heard of this movie before, but now I have to see it. The No More Heroes reference was enough

no oneder

Jul 11, 2010
Clash at the Demonhead at the end?

But on topic: "A thoughtful resident and mature study of relationships among young adults in the modern era, with interpersonal conflict processed through metaphors of superheroics and games because that's how a guy of Scott's age and temperament might contextualize his world"? WTF? I thought this was just a graphic novel!

Big fan of the series, can't wait to read vol. 6 and see the movie!

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Well, I saw this a couple of hours ago and I was a tiny bit disappointed. The film was incredibly fun, Wright's stylization was incredible, it was genuinely funny and also the fight scenes and action were epically cool.

However, I have to disagree with Bob's assessment of a "genuinely intelligent romantic comedy" I didn't really see anything other than "guy loves girl, has to fight for her against her 7 exes to gain her love", this seems rather caveman-ish to me, and not at all about real romance or the "human condition". The extensive hipster idiocy also got to me a bit, lucky they aren't heavily populated in my country.

Oh and on one last note, I have to say, Kieren Culkin was hilllaaarious as Scott's gay roommate whom he shares there one bed with.

I guess disappointed isn't the right word, I just kinda expected something else, I need to see the film again I think. But I do agree with Bob, everyone should go see this movie, especially the people on this site.

edit: Oh, and I'm finally officially completely sick of Michael Cera's typecast roles.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Damnit Bob! I was 100% on not giving Michael Cera any money at all and now you tell me that its one of the best movies of the year!

Sigh... Guess my Friday night just got booked.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Celtic_Kerr said:
Aenir said:
Huh, I'm intrigued.

A movie where the main character has to face 7 bosses?
Not just seven bosses. The girl of his dreams' seven evil Ex-BFs.
Six Evil ex Bfs and a Gf.

Actually, I'm kinda glad to see a movie that takes videogame elements and sorta applies it to the real world in that offbeat snarky teenage humour way. So the movie is a plus for me.

Although, I'll say this. I'm worried I'm not going to like Michael Cera anymore. He was awesome in Arrested Development, Juno showed the niche he kinda fills in at, and this movie seems to be his niche breaking role. But he seems to be the go to teen actor, and does something like shia lebouf and the coery dou (corey haines and wahtever the other one's name is). And thats going to bug me, becuase I'm goign to see alot of him, get tired of seeing him do the same thing that wont have the same appeal becuase movies cant all be Juno's or Scott Pilgrim's (i.e. good for this kinda actor.) So, I'm hoping i dont see him for a while after this movie, or at least if i do, he's not the main character doing this role or his Juno role again.

Burgertime

Intellivision Collector
Mar 10, 2010
Saw the movie last night at a midnight showing with my Wife, and the place was packed. Everyone was clapping and cheering after each battle, and the fact that everyone was laughing at certain jokes helped the experience all the more. I hope there was nothing at the end of the credits, because my theater shut the movie off as soon as the credits started, and it ticked some people off.

Go see this movie! See it with a bunch of friends, and shout out "What a twist!" at the new M.Night movie. :p

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Wow, am I the only one who thinks this movie is going to suck?

I desperately wanted him to hate it. Frankly, I'm probably still not going to see it, because Bob has been wrong before.

(Daybreakers and Splice came close to what he said, but instead turned to crap. Please don't ask me to explain why. I can, I just don't want to.)
I haven't seen Splice, but I agree, Daybreakers was awful. I don't think this is the same deal at all though, I mean Scott Pilgrim has a pretty impressive 80% on RT for starters.

emeraldrafael said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
Aenir said:
Huh, I'm intrigued.

A movie where the main character has to face 7 bosses?
Not just seven bosses. The girl of his dreams' seven evil Ex-BFs.
Six Evil ex Bfs and a Gf.

Actually, I'm kinda glad to see a movie that takes videogame elements and sorta applies it to the real world in that offbeat snarky teenage humour way. So the movie is a plus for me.

Although, I'll say this. I'm worried I'm not going to like Michael Cera anymore. He was awesome in Arrested Development, Juno showed the niche he kinda fills in at, and this movie seems to be his niche breaking role. But he seems to be the go to teen actor, and does something like shia lebouf and the coery dou (corey haines and wahtever the other one's name is). And thats going to bug me, becuase I'm goign to see alot of him, get tired of seeing him do the same thing that wont have the same appeal becuase movies cant all be Juno's or Scott Pilgrim's (i.e. good for this kinda actor.) So, I'm hoping i dont see him for a while after this movie, or at least if i do, he's not the main character doing this role or his Juno role again.
His Scott Pilgrim doesn't break any niches, he's still the awkward, nerdy guy who gets the girl.

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
Guess this flick isn't for me; as the reference to "No More Heroes" made me go, "Wha?" and the acid-test screenshot was another.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
dex-dex said:
YES I AGREE!
it is nice that Canada is being Canada and not the US like in Juno
also I SAW THEM SHOTTING PARTS OF IT!
so obviously you had not problem that Michael Cera was playing Scott because many people were saying that was a wrong move.
They were shooting stuff several blocks from my appartment, feels nice to have some cool stuff besides the zoo happening in Toronto. :) (Also apparently some of the Resisdent Evil movies were shot in Toronto, what is with this City and Videogame movies?)

Postman667

Sep 29, 2009
Definitely going to see this one tonight. It's been awhile since I've seen anything that caught my interest like this. It was either this or "The Expendables" lol

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Ever since I saw the trailer I decided to read the books...They are epic and I CAN NOT wait for this movie to come out in England.!

And yeah nice review as always!