Escape to the Movies: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
It's a shame I'll probably never know if this movie is actually good or not, due to my boycott of anything containing Michael Cera in it - especially after the double fistfuck of Nick and Nora and Year One.

Diddy_King

Jul 9, 2009
dex-dex said:
YES I AGREE!
it is nice that Canada is being Canada and not the US like in Juno
also I SAW THEM SHOTTING PARTS OF IT!
so obviously you had not problem that Michael Cera was playing Scott because many people were saying that was a wrong move.
I was a bit worried about Cera at first as well, but he did a great job as Scott.

Also Moviebob didn't mention any of the awesome moving camera shots. This is one of the few movies where I thought the camera work was awesome, and I know next to nothing about movie production.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
I don't usually disagree with Bob's assessment, and have even watched movies I wouldn't normally see due to his reviews, but... I didn't really enjoy this movie.

It got laughs (mostly when the gay guy was on screen) but as a whole... Eh... I didn't like it.

Samcanuck

Nov 26, 2009
The comic book girl advised my wife to buy the first of these books. I read it on the crapper...and man alive do I not get this comic. I hated that tripe. So they made a movie out of it....really? I hope as far as cinimatics are concerned it does well, because if it stays close to the source material, it will be garbage. And yeah its Canadian. So are many things...doesnt mean they are good. Makes this Canadian Patriot give his head a shake.

Wtf, I don't get it...

bleh002

Jan 8, 2010
ironlordthemad said:
Infernoshadow211 said:
Nice review, I'm probably gonna go see it in a few hours.

On a side note, are you gonna do The Expendables?
Does The Expendables need a review? I just went too see it and its kick ass, you don't need a review to enjoy it you just need to be able to enjoy a guns blazin' action movie, even if the gore is a bit wimpy.

As for this movie... I don't like no more heroes and I hate the indie scene and no movie has ever been made better or more appealing, in my opinion, by video game references. I'm suddenly glad that I sat this one out in favour of watching a blasting brawl fest.

Besides, Michael Cera looks like a complete douche to me.
He's a douche with a flaming sword.

Which is a perfect representation of Scott Pilgrim. = Douche with a flaming sword.

I couldn't stand the books, I don't like Michael Cera, the guy who's playing Young Neil is also pretty crappy and so I'm pretty sure watching a movie based on source material I don't like, with actors I don't like is a waste of my time.

I'm so glad this is out in theatres now. It means it won't mess up my Midnight Madness Experience at Tiff like Jennifer's Body did last year. (Which the guy who was playing Young Neil was busy stinking up, along with everyone else in that disaster)

May 5, 2010
Avarith said:
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Wow, am I the only one who thinks this movie is going to suck?

I desperately wanted him to hate it. Frankly, I'm probably still not going to see it, because Bob has been wrong before.

(Daybreakers and Splice came close to what he said, but instead turned to crap. Please don't ask me to explain why. I can, I just don't want to.)
you know that = fail right you have an opinion but are unwilling to express it means you really should not talk.
OK, first of all, I want to introduce you to a few of friends of mine. They're called "Correct Grammar and Punctuation", "The Word 'Equals'", "The Ability to be Taken Seriously". Clearly, you haven't met.

But, nonetheless, I'll bite. Here's the quick and dirty version of why Daybreakers and Splice both sucked.

Everything is so overdone, particularly the violence and the "SURPRISE BAT!!!!" moments, that I found it impossible to take seriously. Nothing else it offers, i.e, the plot, characters, acting, etc, make up for it. My friends and I were laughing our asses off by the end of it. So I guess I did enjoy it, just not in the way it was intended. In summary, good concept(hell, great concept); shoddy execution.

Much better then Daybreakers, first of all. It really comes close to true greatness in the first 2 acts, but then the end comes along and fucks everything up, literally. OK, so, I'll just start with a brief summary of the conclusion, then I'll get into to why it sucked. Adrian Brody fucks Dren. Why? Because she/it/later on, he, looks a bit like his girlfriend. Up until this point in the movie, he has been completely rational, ethical, person. Then, for about 5 minutes, he forgets all his logic and morals just long enough to move the plot forward. Then he's back to his moral, rational, self.

So after that piece of utter nonsense, Brody and...I want to say Ilsa decide to kill Dren, only to find her dead. OK, I accept that. They bury her, and then Brody's brother shows up with their angry boss. OK, I accept that. But then Dren comes back to life as a male. OK, I acce-wait, WHAT? OK, I know they technically explain this in the movie, but frankly, their explanation still doesn't make any sense to me. They say that Dren gender-bended because those organic blobs did it, and she was made the same way they were. My problem with that is the only reason the blobs did it and no one noticed until it was too late; was because the best scientists were paying all their attention to Dren! So if she started going through the same process, wouldn't they have noticed?

Anyway, the new Man-Dren basically spends the next 5 minutes killing the boss and the brother, and almost killing Brody. Then he rapes Ilsa. Just cause. I guess Man-Dren is just evil. I mean, sure Ilsa abused Dren, but why does that lead to rape? Why kill everyone else, and rape her? Why is Dren's solution to all problems to kill or fuck it? But I digress. Brody saves her not-so-just-in-time and together they finish Dren off. Uh, that is to say they kill him. The movie ends with of course now-pregnant Ilsa essentially selling the baby to science. Why? Because she's fucking insane. In fact, if, while watching this movie, should you ever find yourself asking "Why'd she do that?" then know that the answer is almost always "Because she's insane." Unfortunately, insanity is a pretty sloppy form of motivation from a writing stand-point, since it can be conviniently twisted to satisfy whatever the plot requires.

In fact, the whole ending really just consists of the same mistake repeated over and over again: People doing fucked up shit for no reason. Now, the "People doing fucked up shit" is fine, but if you're going to go that route, at least have the decency to put some motivation behind it. Put simply, Splice sure nailed the "fucked up shit", but botched(that is to say "ignored") the tangible motivation.

WinterSoldier

Feb 4, 2009
I've been hyped for this movie for a while and have read the comics. But recently I found out the theater in my town isn't showing it so I'm quite disappointed...

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I saw it at midnight, I was not disappointed in the least, mainly because I went into it blind.
I got every reference, I'm a soppy female so the sappy emotional parts spurned a connection but they didn't sit around weighing the awesome plot and jokes down. So I was very very pleased with this movie.

My last ...4? Trips to the cinema have been rather disappointing.

This I came out of the theater with my faith in Film slightly replenished.

tobi the good boy

Dec 16, 2007
saw this movie as son as it came out here in australia (last thursday) it was beyond words of how awesome it was, strangely enough me and my two other friends were the only people in the theatre ... best seats in house XD

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
Mezmer said:
dex-dex said:
YES I AGREE!
it is nice that Canada is being Canada and not the US like in Juno
also I SAW THEM SHOTTING PARTS OF IT!
so obviously you had not problem that Michael Cera was playing Scott because many people were saying that was a wrong move.
Um...Juno took place in Minnesota...
it was filmed in British Columbia it was posing as minnesota
notice how when when they are in the mall spying on Vanessa there is a store called garage. there are no garage locations in the states.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Burgertime said:
Go see this movie! See it with a bunch of friends, and shout out "What a twist!" at the new M.Night movie. :p
When we saw that trailer, someone stood up and shouted "I WILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU FOR THE LAST AIRBENDER!" It was pretty great.

OT: I loved it. I thought it did an excellent job of condensing the books, cutting some things out without damaging the plot. Although I think you're reading a little too much into it. It's not quite deep enough to be a "genuinely intelligent romantic comedy" although the relationships were portrayed somewhat more realistically than usual, which was nice.

Also, the soundtrack was great, and I actually enjoyed the obnoxious hipster overtones. I guess that makes me a douchebag, but I don't care. It was a great film.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
Bwown said:
What are you talking about Canada playing Canada and not the US?

Canada is like the US. The only difference is Canada's more liberal and less powerful than the US.
yeah the better thing is that other countries actually like Canada
Unlike the US

Aegwadar

Apr 2, 2009
I'm not usually one to judge books by their covers.. but... this looks like a complete "niche" movie. Some quirky interpretation of a graphic novel series, appeals to people who are actually familiar with the series.

On one more point, Am I the only person in the world who has seen Paperhearts? Because after that movie, I HATE Cera... hate is a strong word... so yeah HATE.

Verdict: Total niche movie; I'll wait till its Redbox time.

Puregrrr

Nov 21, 2009
I was lucky enough to see this as a sneak preview on Tuesday, and I could not agree with this review more. Everything I thought that could ruin this movie actually turned out to be wrong and make the movie a must see. I was worried it would be overwrought, but it was intentionally campy with enough intelligence to really satisfy the cynic in me. To summarize: I am in lesbians with this movie.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
It was really good and I was surprised to hear that the movie had started filming before the comics were finished. Obviously now that I think about it, it makes perfect sense. The timeline of events was overall very condensed, without the months of time from beginning to end that was in the comics. The pace of the film was more breakneck compared to the comic and I'd have liked to have a little more breathing room between some of the fights, but overall the film was a fun ride.

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
I'm definitely seeing this. Unfortunately, in the UK, I have heard it's out 25th August, so might go see this day after it's out.

The Expendables next week though. That could be interesting