Escape to the Movies: Sin City: A Dame to Kill For - Bleeds Substance for Style

darthdenim

Jul 10, 2014
Didn't care for the "style" of this review.

Reminds me of how I click off right away when Nostalgia Critic tries to review something in an Optimus Prime voice or whatever.

KiramidHead

Jan 26, 2012
I love the original movie. Sure it's style over substance, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing in my eyes, and I felt the first one pulled that off almost perfectly. The movie got me reading the comics, and now that I'm definitely "old enough to read them," I still appreciate the heck out of them. So yeah, that snide remark doesn't apply across the board, Bob.

Anyways, I'm still looking forward to the new movie, since it's adapting my favorite story from the comics, and the other stories don't look too bad, either, from what I've seen. Even the bad and mediocre reviews I've read made the movie sound good to me. XD And as long as it's better than Machete Kills, I should be fine with this movie.

SeeDarkly_Xero

Jan 24, 2014
If setting the style of the review in the same style as the film doesn't ultimately demonstrate and reinforce to anyone what he's saying about the film... maybe this one is just a little too much like a metaphor leaping over Drax's head.
I totally applaud it and that he didn't give up on the bit half way through. That's commitment.

Still... I was planning to wait for it on DVD anyway. I'm sure I'll appreciate it for what it is then as well as I might now.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Nice.

And for content, that means I appreciate the themed review. Probably more than I'm gonna appreciate the movie. Still gonna see it though.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I think this is the first movie review where I've pretty much skipped to the end.

I'd toss this under 'failed experiment'.

linforcer

Sep 10, 2012
I don't mind seeing this particular magic trick again after that many years. I enjoyed it last time around.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
The first one was very random for me, still liked it after I thought about it and recapped a little, got better the second time around.
This one, gonna see. when? not sure :p

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I remember loving the first one, now not so much, i suppose that stuff Bob said about teenagers was somewhat right. And i gotta agree with the complaints about the voice, it was painful to listen to.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
ah, I remember The Spirit. So bad, but oddly entertaining.

I am somewhat interested in this, but it just doesn't look like I'd enjoy it as much as I did the first one way back when.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Wow...such an annoying voice to put on for the whole review really killed this video for me. I would have shut down the video part way through if not for wanting to hear the review itself.

Oh well, I'm sure Bob had fun making this one.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Haven not seen the first one, I guess I won't see this one. Green was pretty kick ass in the 300 sequel though so I guess I'll just wait 'till this is on TV or something.

The voice was kinda welcome, but it makes the review feel like it's going on forever. Maybe that was the point, I'm not sure.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Ferisar said:
Jandau said:
To be fair, Eva Green always brings it. Hell, go watch Penny Dreadful if you want to see her in something good instead of having her elevate schlock (fun schlock, but still schlock)...
The reason people need to go see Penny Dreadful is DEFINITELY for the gay werewolves.

Sorry, bisexual werewolves.

OT:
Yeah I don't plan on seeing this, that's all I can say. This review only helps that viewpoint.
Is THAT what Penny Dreadful is about? I kept hearing "you need to watch it," So I watched one episode (It was the one with Josh Harnett and Dorian Gray watching a dog kill rats, and spectators were taking bets on how many rats would be killed). I was intrigued, but not compelled enough to watch it.

I'll watch this, I just don't know if I'm gonna go to theatres to do it. Also pissed that I don't get to see M Clarke Duncan duke it out with Marv.

Odoylerules360

We're all just folk now...
Aug 29, 2008
So Eva Green ruins it again by hamming it up and chewing on the scenery? I had to laugh after every one of her lines in the 300 sequel.

Iceklimber

Feb 5, 2013
Why Moviebob reduced his bad words count and the few cursewords that remain get beep-censored? They did not get censored back in Transformers 2 review and other Escapists like Yahtzee or SterlingJim still use unbeeped cursewords.

The Comic "Critical Miss" also showcased a form of the word "******" once. Just curious how this all coexists and wht the backstory is. Maybe if Moviebob doen't read these comments someone can ask him on the next Escapist Expo :)

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Jim_Callahan said:
I'm... actually pretty sure the fact that it takes less than five minutes for the style to get gratingly old is both the for-serious point he's making about the movie and the central joke of the review.
This guy gets it.

tyriless

Aug 27, 2010
Oh Bob, I can't stay mad at you. After that Lucy review ( a film so bad I had to walk out of) I thought I was done with Escape to the Movies, but that voice over was awesome and I am sucker for pulp noir monologues. I wouldn't want it for every review, but today it was perfect. You knocked that one out of the park like Mickey Malone crossed with Mickey Mantle.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Man, Bob is pole jocking Eva Green. I have never been very impressed with her, so I don't really see it. 300:RoaE was a terrible and boring film (am I the only one that noticed that people were heaving and breathing heavy from doing very little?). She didn't do it for me. That movie had no identity. The first one very much did, but this one was all over the place. I was never particularly taken by her performance if for no other reason that she was like everyone else just with more lines. Also, I feel like she is a good actress like Ryan Gosling is a good actor. She and he have a single expression for the majority of their emotions that everyone gushes over. It doesn't do anything for me. When you look at it with that understanding, then it makes them look kind of like dumbasses who have discovered that they can get by not looking stupid when they don't understand something. Like that guy at the party who laughs because everyone else is, but they don't really understand what the joke is.

Maybe that is me though and not an issue with either of the aforementioned actors. I may in fact be done with movies that are like this: Which is so overdone with special lens effects that you are literally pulled out of any immersion in the movie.