Escape to the Movies: Sin City: A Dame to Kill For - Bleeds Substance for Style

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For - Bleeds Substance for Style

Not bad, but it was better the first time around.

Watch Video

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
That voice over....a bit too cheesy this time, Bob. In the previous movie the dames were all sort of ...not helpless. They were over-the-top more badass than their male counterparts (save for Marv, he's a human tank). I'm curious if this movie played more parts to the assassin that was in the opening and ending of the the first Sin City; that's something I'd watch more of because that story has my curiosity peaked.

tm96

Feb 1, 2014
Let me check my watch. Its Miller Time. I watched the first one I thought it was ok.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ok if I understood this right (no offence while it was a funny parody but I couldn't make sense what Bob was saying most of the time)-

The Nancy revenge part is not from the comicbook.

It's somewhat similar to 300: Rise of an Empire in that it's not as good as the first one and Lena Headey is still kickass in it?

Either way I am still planning to watch it next week!

Kieve

Jan 4, 2011
Could not watch. I get what you were going for here, Bob, but I kept skipping ahead in the video hoping you'd go back to your usual review and completely gave up by the halfway-mark. Even the "Bah-stan" accent would be better.

On the bright side, I didn't much care for the first one and don't really give a damn about the second, so at least I don't feel like I'm missing much.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
I agree with your assessment of the first one. It was a good and stylish film, but only in so far it was a novelty.

Anything attempting to ape it was doomed to fall short as a result. Take away the flair and all you've got left is a mediocre and hammy film noir.

Not planning a cinema visit anytime soon, but if a friend asks me to go to it I won't refuse. There are worse ways to spend an evening.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
"Just okay" huh? Well, it's not my thing anyway, so I have no problem just skipping it.

As for the 16 german suplexes, which would've sucked more, 16 over the course of the match or the 10 in a row Chris Benoit hit on Stone Cold Steve Austin?

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
I like how Bob is trying to retroactively convince us The Dark Knight Returns & the first Sin City film wasn't amazing, as Miller's unbelievable dickishness has become even more apparent since then. It won't work, tho.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
Burnouts3s3 said:
Yeah, I got the same feeling. The original was so long ago, I stopped caring for a sequel.
See, to me, that's a good thing. It means, whether the movie is any good or not, that the sequel got made because people wanted to make it and not simply to fill out a budget sheet (I know they're trying to make money but we're talking 10 years between movies vs. franchises that get near annual installments).

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I think the voice over worked for the discussion of Eva Green, but and that carried the review to the end, but the first half was a slog. Still, having a different sort of review was fun. Now we need a Boondock Saints 3 and a review done entirely in limerick.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
You really didn't need to do the entire review like that... really!

But with that said. Fuck this movie. I could barely stand how mean spirited and dark and gritty the original was, also so very juvenile. So, I don't plan on having a second go at it again. Not even Eva Green can sell it to me this time, as much as I can't help but to find her the most beautiful woman alive.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
I maintain that the first Sin City was good. Calling it style over substance isn't an insult, it's exactly what they were going for, and they succeeded in a brilliant way. I wish more films would take risks like that.

Wasn't exactly begging for another one though.

Smurf McSmurfington

Jun 24, 2010
Hungry Donner said:
Now we need a Boondock Saints 3 and a review done entirely in limerick.
I don't think there are enough "Yes!"'es in the world to voice an adequate agreement to that statement (in case my sentence structure was a bit too... er... broken - which it probably was, what I mean by that is that I agree more than should physically be possible).

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
"If you're old enough to read it you're probably too old to appreciate it."

So true. I've always suspected that if I'd seen Sin City when I was in my early teens I'd have thought it was the greatest movie ever. As it is it mostly bored me.

As for Frank... he's gone way off the deep end - Dark Knight Strikes Again and All Star Batman and Robin could maybe be excused as self parody, but Holy Terror was an ugly insight into Miller's mind. A shame, since TDKR and his early work on Daredevil were and still are amazing.

All the same I can still enjoy 300 for the sheer spectacle of it if I don't think too hard about the mentality behind it, and I daresay the Sin City movies can be enjoyed in the same way.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
It does beg the question if what happened was Rodriguez waited too long. His filmography as of late just kinda sucks and it also doesn't help that in the interim between this and the last one Miller has REALLY gone off the deep end. Seems the best reason to watch this is to see Mickey Rourke be Marv again and the Hateful Eight trailer.

Pills_Here

Dec 10, 2009
Yeah I gotta echo the sentiment about the cheesy voice over. It was kind of cute for the first minute or so but it's a bit much over the entire video.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
The Great JT said:
"Just okay" huh? Well, it's not my thing anyway, so I have no problem just skipping it.

As for the 16 german suplexes, which would've sucked more, 16 over the course of the match or the 10 in a row Chris Benoit hit on Stone Cold Steve Austin?
See, I was thinking it was 16 suplexes in a row. I started thinking "cool at first, but that would get tedious as hell to watching after about the 8th one."

I liked Bob's style of reviewing this one. No, I wouldn't want him speaking like Optimus Prime for a transformers review, or Michaelangelo for a TMNT review, but for this one, I get it. I figured there would be some detractors, but given the movie being reviewed, and what is review of it was, I'm glad he opted to go this route, rather than "so here's a review."

Now, if his review was a negative one, or a terribly scathing one, I would have preferred him speak normally in order to better understand his argument. But since his opinion on this one is "meh, it could have been worse," I don't mind it.

Scarim Coral said:
It's somewhat similar to 300: Rise of an Empire in that it's not as good as the first one and Lena Headey is still kickass in it?
I personally enjoyed Rise a lot more than the first.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
First one dissapointed me.
Your voice over... funny for a while, but harder to make out then a narrator should be without subtitles...

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Sometimes people who are otherwise very smart and very funny make mistakes and think up jokes that don't work, it happens. If the voice thing was like a minute or so of the review it probably would've worked , but the whole thing? Stretched a potentially good joke out into uselessness. And from the sounds of it the movie really wasn't good enough to warrant such effort on the review. Soooo, yeah.

As for the movie, when it comes out on Netflix or something I might watch it just for Eva Green, I'm still trying to figure out if I'm attracted to or terrified by her and watching this might help in that decision.